Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Years and still counting...

Hello all my NSF friends,

I am now 2 years and 11 days out. I had company from out of state (My Mom) so I didn't post on my exact anniversary.

Every month I think back how far I have come and I have to tell you the last 6 months have been pretty uneventful. (My back recovery, not my life.) I really feel looking back now, I was as recovered as I ever was going to be at my 1 1/2 year mark. I have learned in the last months I need to be careful lifting heavy things and make sure I DO NOT TWIST while doing so. I forgot this in Oct. & Dec. and will NEVER forget again, I hope. Both times landed me in bed with pain meds for a couple of days. Lucky for me one of my best friends is a massage therapist and helped loosen the muscles I had pulled in my back. I cracked up the first time when he looked at my back and said "What the hell did did you do??!!" He was genuinely shocked at how bad I had screwed up my back. I don't want any of you freaking out, it was stupid stuff I did. The first time I lifted and twisted to put a 125 piece tool set up on the counter at Sears. The second time I lifted and swung my 4 yr. old Niece up and onto my hip to cross the street. (Lots of traffic while looking at x-mas lights.) I am hoping you learn from my mistakes, that is why the lengthy "how I did it."

I have found:

I need to keep my core strong and skipping the gym is not a good idea. I go 2x a week. I FAST walk 1.25 miles (I prefer my cardio on the ski slopes.) and work ALL muscle groups when I am there. That seems to work well for me. I do a bit more cardio in the gym during the summer. Swimming feels a bit weird.

Leaning over the kitchen counter for HOURS at a time making cookies for everyone I know is NOT a good idea. I had the bright idea "lets do 3 batches of cookies all at once since the kitchen is already a mess" NO! Do not do this. Your friends will love you but, your back will not!

I can wear my fabulous 4" heels and go dancing and my back is fine! But, now my feet hate me.

Jumping is not a good idea. It doesn't hurt but doesn't feel good either. I don't think I will be playing volleyball like I use to if I ever do again.

The flu is not something I ever want again. At least while recovering from surgery I could get out of bed! (And no fever...)

As you recover you will think less about your back and the different limitations you might have or the different ways you might need to do daily things. It will all be 2nd nature, eventually. I laughed at myself (thinking back to the time I couldn't REACH way back in the bottom cabinet in the kitchen) as I practically crawled in to it! (Retrieving something I hadn't used in a bit.) I guess I am "recovered" at this point. They did say two years is how long it takes. So, remember this when you hit 1 year or 1 1/2 years. I regularly attend our local support group and 2 years seems about right for recovery. Two years may seem like forever to you at this point in your recovery but trust me, it will be behind you before you know it. I will be behind you checking out your awesome scar and beautiful posture! LOL!

Thanks, Suzy. I wish you all the best as you go on with your life and hope soon this will be a distant memory. Thanks for sharing.
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Thanks for the uplifting message

Suzy,
      Thanks for your words of experience and encouragement. I am five weeks out and really needed to read your words. It already seems like such a long recovery. I'm also still having some painful moments and feel so fatigued.
      So it was great this morning to read about your positive recovery. It makes me realize I just need to hang in there and be patient. It will all be worth it!
      CSC
      Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
      S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

Hi Suzy--wow--2 yrs!!! I am behind you a bit over the 1 &1/2 yr mark but feel similar to you! I was just thinking this morning how I now move around & bend like normal. I don't get too stiff anymore in the stomach(incisionarea) and I feel very good....
        Today is warm out already as spring approaches & I have thoughts(perhaps crazy) of roller blading. I guess they should just be..thoughts & not actions....
        Ly

Comment

Thanks for your advice and words of encouragement. I really appreciate it. I am 9 months post-op today and sometimes think I can do what you are doing at 2 years post-op and find myself in lots of pain. Best of luck.
          "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
          Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
          19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
          X