Cervical Spine Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cervical Spine Question

has anyone else had an epidural done to treat pain? I'm having one done Thursday partly for treatment and partly for diagnostic (They want to see if it will decrease the inflammation and help pain in my shoulders.) I'm more than a little freaked out.

Epidural

ghostlight,
    Finally! Something I can help with!

Last fall, I had 3 epidural steroid injections done, one cervical and 2 lumbar. Before the first one I was pretty nervous. As it turns out, I had no reason to be. The procedure itself took about 10-15 minutes, but I was at the hospital about 2 hours. The additional time was spent checking in (20 mins), waiting (20 mins), prep/IV more waiting (30 mins) and post procedure care (45 mins). Once I was in the procedure room I was given Verced by IV and with the first procedure, the next thing I remember is being in the post care room. The second time I was more aware during the procedure but had no pain at all. When I went for the third procedure, I told the staff that I was a little anxious about being TOO alert and they gave me a bit more happy juice. Once I was fairly awake, my husband poured me into the car seat and took me home. Well, there was the stop on the way home for Subway 'cause I was starving! I slept for several hours and just felt tired the rest of the day. The next morning, the injection site was a little sore, sort of like a bee sting, but otherwise I felt fine and went to work.

As for my results, I received pain relief for a couple of weeks and the pain came back. That's why a second lumbar injection was done, to try and 'boost' the results of the first one. Unfortunately, it didn't help.

I absolutely do not regret having done the injections. I did get relief for a couple of weeks and that was wonderful. I now have one option I can cross off the list of "Things to try before surgery".

I hope this helps. I know different doctors/facilities do things differently, and I have heard some people say they've had epidurals done with no happy juice and they did just fine. I wish you the best of luck and pray you find some relief. Be sure and let us know how it goes.
    Becky, 46 years old
    Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
    Ignored until 448/07
    Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
    Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
    Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
    Fused T-10 to L-5
    14 titanium pedicle screws
    Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
    Email

Comment

Working...