Surgery ><"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery ><"

Well, i was first wondering if anyone has ever experienced a surgery with Dr. Bruce in GA. 2nd i was wondering how long would u have to stay out of school after the surgery because my parents set me up for May 7th.... and I have hs finals near the 20th. So would i be able to make it back in time ?

ty in advance ^_^

You will be out of school anywhere from 4 weeks to 6 weeks being the average. Each child is different. Good luck.
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

no chance of any earlier? =/

Comment

ScoliThug,

Do you understand what is involved with scoliosis (fusion) surgery? There is a huge amount of manipulation done to your body. Your body will feel like its been hit by a MACK truck. You may have improved pain 3 weeks later, but your stamina and strength will not be what it was prior to surgery. You will fatigue easily. Sitting at a desk to take exams will be very uncomfortable. If you can your surgery date for after exams, that would be best. Or, you can make arrangements with the school to take the exams prior to your surgery. Most teens would not be able to tolerate school days in this short time. Good luck.
        Carmell
        mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Sorry... No chance. You will be down for the count 4-8 weeks depending on how you react. I would ask your parents to talk to the doc about moving surgery until after finals if there's any way possible to do so.
          Susanna
          ~~~~~~
          Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Scolithug,

Carmell's right. Surgery May 7th and finals on the 20th? 2 weeks (mind you 2 weeks where you won't feel *anything* like studying) isn't feasible.

This isn't a simple surgery.

You may feel a LOT better by 2 weeks, but you are still going to be sore, most likely on meds, sitting for long periods isn't going to be comfortable, and too many other things to list.

Do your parents believe you're going to be "test worthy" at 2 weeks post op? I hate to recommend it for you to watch (even though it's not as scary as it looks ... you remember none of it), but if they're adamant you're going to bounce back that quickly - and are under the impression this is a minor thing, have them view my surgery photos.

I don't mean to say at 2-3 weeks you'll feel awful (not at all), but mostly you're going to be TIRED. Washing and drying your hair will wipe you OUT. I was barely able to walk in a straight line at 2 weeks (your center of gravity is all changed). The stamina will come back before you know it, but it does take time ... and pushing too hard is something you really want to avoid. It just delays recovery.

I think the suggestion to take your finals BEFORE surgery makes the most sense.
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

well, atm june is fully booked.... ><" and my parents dont want to wait that long.. i thought i would be able to get back up ASAP XD ... guess not though. But thanks for all the help and comments u have given ^_^

Comment

Working...
              X