Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osteotomy for Kyphosis?

Hi,

I'm looking to talk to people who have had an osteotomy to treat kyphosis. I am specifically looking for people who had this osteotomy in the thoracic region (based on a search, most people seemed to have it in the lumber area).

I've just been told by my surgeon that I will require this procedure as my kyphosis is very rigid and a PSO (pedical subtraction osteotomy) is the best way to go.

I have a lot of questions and concerns right now so if anyone is willing to share their experiences (by posting here, pm, email, etc) - Please let me know.

Thanks,

Hi,

My daughter had Smith-Peterson osteotomies done at the following levels: T6-T7; T7-T8 and T8-T9 during her surgery to correct her Kyphosis and her Scoliosis.

I'm not sure what you are looking for or if I can answer your questions, but I'll try.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Questions

Hi,

I don't know anything about osteotomy. Can you please tell me what that is?

Thank you
      Mae

Comment

Hi,

Dr. Lawrence Lenke presented a paper at the Scoliosis Research Society in September 2007 on "Vertebral Column Resection (VCR) for Severe Pediatric and Adult Spinal Deformity". I believe that VCR is the removal of the whole vetebra for correction of the spine in severe cases. An osteotomy is the removal of a wedge or piece of vertebral bone to alter the alignment of the spine. He presented results of 43 cases including its use for severe scoliosis, and severe kyphosis cases. I will be having a VCR in June along with revision of old spinal fusion with instrumentation. You can find this paper on his website or through Google.
        Hope this is of help.
        Last edited by Wishing; 03-03-2008, 11:09 AM. Reason: To correct information

Comment

Originally posted by Wishing
          Hi,

Dr. Lawrence Lenke presented a paper at the Scoliosis Research Society in September 2007 on "Vertebral Column Resection (VCR) for Severe Pediatric and Adult Spinal Deformity". I believe that VCR is the removal of the whole vetebra for correction of the spine in severe cases. An osteotomy is the removal of a wedge or piece of vertebral bone to alter the alignment of the spine. He presented results of 43 cases including its use for severe scoliosis, and severe kyphosis cases. I will be having a VCR in June along with revision of old spinal fusion with instrumentation. You can find this paper on his website or through Google.
          Hope this is of help.
          Thanks - I will definately do a search.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy
            Hi,

My daughter had Smith-Peterson osteotomies done at the following levels: T6-T7; T7-T8 and T8-T9 during her surgery to correct her Kyphosis and her Scoliosis.

I'm not sure what you are looking for or if I can answer your questions, but I'll try.

Mary Lou
            Thanks for volunteering! I will send you a PM when I get the chance tonight or tomorrow.

I hope your daughter is doing well!

Comment

Originally posted by MaeV
              Hi,

I don't know anything about osteotomy. Can you please tell me what that is?

Thank you
              Mae
              It pretty much comes down to removing a wedge of vertebrae in order to straighten the spine. I think the best analogy I've heard is like chopping a wedge into a tree and watching it slant back but not fall down.

Comment

Hi Canadian Bacon,

I've had two PSO's done for Kyphosis. The first one was done at L3 and it pulled me back upright 30 degrees. That was done a year after my original surgery was done. Almost immediately after the first surgery we noticed the forward lean. We waited a year to recover before doing the osteotomy. I had about an inch taken out of the spine in a wedge shape. I still continued to lean somewhat, we were hoping that with PT and exercising that my atrophied muscles would be strong enough to hold me upright. We waited two years before doing another ostotomy at the L2 level. I can now walk upright without a cane or a shopping basket to hold me up. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
                Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                Fused T2 to sacrum
                June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa
                  Hi Canadian Bacon,

I've had two PSO's done for Kyphosis. The first one was done at L3 and it pulled me back upright 30 degrees. That was done a year after my original surgery was done. Almost immediately after the first surgery we noticed the forward lean. We waited a year to recover before doing the osteotomy. I had about an inch taken out of the spine in a wedge shape. I still continued to lean somewhat, we were hoping that with PT and exercising that my atrophied muscles would be strong enough to hold me upright. We waited two years before doing another ostotomy at the L2 level. I can now walk upright without a cane or a shopping basket to hold me up. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
                  Thanks! I'll shoot you a pm this weekend as well. That give me timeto crystalize my questions

Comment

Does anyone know of the statistics over the saftey of this procedure especially when done in the thoracic region?

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
                    X