New XLIF procedure for lumbar curves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New XLIF procedure for lumbar curves

I just found this on the internet, I thought it was interesting. I wish it was something I could have looked into prior to my daughter's surgery. I wonder if they can use a combination of fusion for the upper curve and this XLIF for an s-curve?

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...lth&id=5910673

Very interesting. I wonder if this is done for herniated discs? Thanks for the interesting find. I hope that it will be a great option to many people.
    Last edited by Mom37; 03-02-2008, 08:40 PM. Reason: correct
    Shirley
    Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

Thanks for sharing this Sherie - that is really interesting. Sounds like a big improvement for the patients.
      Did you get the impression the doctors were only fusing one vertebrae rather than several?
      Ruth
      Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Hi Shirley

I think it might be used for a herniated discs. Let me know if you need info. on this doctor.

Hi Ruth

It's good hearing from you. I've been keeping up with Esme's rolfing, it sounds like that's going very well for her. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Yes, I had the impression it was one level, but they didn't go into enough detail to know for sure. Did you ever find out about the fusionless scoliosis Dr. Rivard is working on?

Comment

I think it is in clinical trials in the U.S. right now. Will try to find and post the link.
          Ruth
          Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

[QUOTE=Sherie]Hi Shirley

I think it might be used for a herniated discs. Let me know if you need info. on this doctor.

Sherie,

Yes I would be interested in this information for my husband. Thank you.
            Shirley
            Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

Too vague for me...

I watched this video three times to see if I was missing anything. It is so VAGUE talking about how it can help with a lumbar curve, if at all. I can see how it would work for a degenerative disc as it is putting something in the disc area to hold it "open" so to speak. I've seen cages used for this in the past. I would be willing to bet the lady who was on this video didn't have her curve straightened, just disc space opened up and possibly that is what relieved her pain. And haven't those of you who are now out of pain noticed you are able to stand up straight now??!! I'm no Dr. but definetly a skeptic!

I would love to send a letter to this Dr. and ask a LOT of questions the reporter should/could have. But then I remember the majority of the world has no clue about scoliosis let alone treatment or surgeries. (Thus not enough info to ask the right questions.) I am all for new technology but I want the facts, not smoke and mirrors.

Sherie, If you have info as to how to contact him I would love it. I will keep you all informed if I find anything out...........

Comment

Here is a link to the clinic that he works in:

http://www.rbjc.com/pages/etminan.php

I took Sheena here for her initial scoli. consult but not to see this doctor.

You have made some valid points and it will be interesting to hear what you find out.

Comment

Hi...

I just got out of a presentation about an arm of the Nuvasive XLIF group called The Better Way Back. (We've been doing XLIFs here for several years.) They have a pretty nice web site (www.thebetterwayback.org), that is meant to help patients, by allowing them to connect to other patients who had similar procedures, as well as other patient programs of interest. They are looking for XLIF patients to become ambassadors. If you've had an XLIF, or plan to have one, you might want to consider registering there.

Also of interest is their Cheetah Gives Back program:

http://www.nuvacheetahgivesbackfound...d_missions.php

Regards,
                  Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

hi Sherie
                    minimally invasive approach for lumbar has been around for a little while now...there are doctors on east and west coasts...and i think a few somewhere else..maybe Chicago...(i dont remember)who use the approach...it has been discussed on this forum many times...

i waited for lumbar minimally invasive...because thoracic minimally invasive has been around longer...now i just have to decide whether i want to do it...because i need fusion to pelvis!

Dr Anand in L.A. is known for the approach, and Dr Lonner in NYC is using it as well...several others have been mentioned on forum as using it....wouldnt be surprised if it takes over as THE approach in the future...

Shirley...they can clean out the discs with a side puncture/incision and then do the rods from the back, either the same day or a few days later...i need both procedures done for severely degenerated discs...

Sherie..i have spoken to a few of Dr Anand's patients...i also flew out to see Dr Anand last January...just to find out about the approach...
                    also, Dr Lonner has been following my curves for over 5 years now...the fact that he believes in the approach tells me that it is a good one!

jess
                    Last edited by jrnyc; 08-18-2010, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Hi,

I had an XLIF procedure plus pedicle screws with two short rods inserted last year to extend my existing fusion one level as the disc underneath my Harrington (at L3-L4) had completely degenerated and I had listhesis. It worked amazingly well for me and I'm now back to climbing mountains, cycling and hiking for miles

Jess, I hope this is comforting for you to hear. I was having dreadful problems with pain before I had this surgery, and it pretty much completely sorted it out.

Comment

thanks...it does sound good...i am glad that you are doing so well!

i am just put off by needing fusion all the way to the pelvis..

jess

Comment

Yes, I can totally understand that, it must be a daunting prospect I really do hope that you can find some treatment that will help you, severe chronic pain is so miserable.

I find TiEd to be very inspiring and encouraging, he's fused to the pelvis but is still very active

Comment

I've been watching the Nuvasive Xlif approach because I believe they are working toward applying it to the thoracic region. Right now the thoracic minimally invasive (vats-video aided thoracic surgery) deflates a lung, and I believe may remove part(s) of ribs to reach the spine. Hopefully new technology will make it easier to access the spine. It's inspiring that hopefully scoliosis surgery will one day be mostly done minimally invasive. I'm having a selective fusion T2-T12, so I do have an increased chance of needing an extension. I hope that doesn't happen, but if it does it would be great if min. invasive was an option. Jess, I think it's great your looking for the best science and technology can offer.
                            Debra
                            Age 45
                            Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
                            Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
                            Fused T4-T12
                            Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
                            Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

hey Deb
                              i just figured if they could do minimally invasive for thoracic (though i didnt realize they deflated a lung), they would get around to doing it for lumbar...

it makes sense...i wonder what this surgery will be like 50 years from now...or maybe by then they will have a universally preventive pill or something...science/medicine keeps improving...

good luck with your surgery Sept 1st...you know you are in the best hands!

jess
                              Last edited by jrnyc; 08-19-2010, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X