4 days left until surgery, week of wierdiness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 days left until surgery, week of wierdiness

Hi, I just saw doctor Woo yesterday, and he basically answered a couple of my parents questions and just reiterated what we knew. He showed us a model of the spine, how it'll look after the surgery, and after that I've been kind of exhausted, like i 'slept' in the car on the way back and such. I haven't felt like doing homework all week, and I basically just want to get it over with, just battling nerves I suppose. How did you feel that week before the big day? What about the night before and the morning of? Did you feel a lot better after wards?
    Pre-Op:
    UT-35*. T-55*, L-30*
    16 year old girl
    Fusion- T5- T12 on March 17th 2008
    Post-OP:
    UT-27*, T/L-very straight : ]

I am sure most of the teens have lots of mixed feelings right before surgery. I kept telling my daughter that all she had to do was to show up for the surgery. The surgeon was the one who had to do all the work!!! When you wake up, the surgery will be over. Then your recovery will begin. I am sure you will do great. We will all be thinking about you and saying prayers for a successful surgery.
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Many of us here can relate to what you are feeling. The weeks prior to surgery can be so hard mentally on patients, their parents, loved ones, etc., because you're almost there and of course there is much going though your mind. Like many, you've reached the point where you just want to get it over with and let the recovery begin. Like my son's dr. said to us, "the waiting is the hardest part, and that's the part I can't do anything about." I like to quote that because it made me realize that yes, the thought of any surgery is scary, but there is light at the end of the tunnel and this can be a new beginning.

Best wishes for an uneventful and successful surgery and recovery.

Renee

Comment

Sanah,

I just wanted to wish you luck on your upcoming surgery. I don't recall be as nervous as just wanting it over with. I'm sure you'll do fine. We will all be praying for you.
        Patty 51 years old
        Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
        Posterior T3- L4
        Pre surgery curves
        T-53degrees
        L-38degrees
        and a severe side shift to the right.
        Post surgery curves
        Less than 10 degrees
        Surgery April, 2006
        C4 - C6

Comment

Originally posted by sanah
          Hi, I just saw doctor Woo yesterday, and he basically answered a couple of my parents questions and just reiterated what we knew. He showed us a model of the spine, how it'll look after the surgery, and after that I've been kind of exhausted, like i 'slept' in the car on the way back and such. I haven't felt like doing homework all week, and I basically just want to get it over with, just battling nerves I suppose. How did you feel that week before the big day? What about the night before and the morning of? Did you feel a lot better after wards?
          Sanah, honey, the week before (and I'm just over 3 weeks post-op ... it's all still fresh in my mind) is by far the toughest. You feel like you're going into the unknown (no matter how many people tell you what it was like for them).

The feeling of just wanting "to get it over with" is normal: It takes a lot of preparation for this. You're in good hands, the nurses will make sure you stay comfortable and rest in the hospital, and lots of people here will be thinking of you.

It'll be over before you know it, kiddo. You're going to do fine! ;-)

Regards,
          Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi Sanah

I wish my daughter, who is also 15, would answer but she doesn't like to talk about it much and I could never get her on the forum.

Anyway, she had a lot of trouble the week before doing homework, she said she just couldn't focus. Of course we were all nervous that week but also relieved that it was finally there and we could get it over and move on with our lives. The morning of we were surprisingly calm. You have to be at the hospital so early it doesn't give you any time to sit and dwell on it. Once you're at the hospital, things move pretty fast, before you know it, it's going to be over.

It's been 3.5 months now and it's already hard to believe she went through that. Our lives are pretty much back to normal, it's a great feeling not to have that looming over us. Even the sun seems to shine a little brighter!

Best wishes to you, I'll be thinking of you on your big day.
            Last edited by Sherie; 02-27-2008, 08:04 PM.

Comment

It's been almost 3 months since Lena's surgery and like Sheri said, life almost seems back to normal and the sun does seem to shine a little brighter than it did last year.

The week before surgery was very scary for us and surgery day was really tough. We had a few more complications than most but it all worked out well in the end.

To this day, Lena says that the surgery and recovery was not nearly as bad as what she expected it to be - even with her complications. So hang in there, dig deep for strength and stay positive. Everything will be ok and soon you will be writing 3 months later giving someone else encouragement before their surgery.

Good luch to you! {{hugs}}

Karen (mom to Lena, 13 y.o., posterior spinal fusion from T4 to L4 on 12/5/07. Before curves were 75* and 65* and now are both less than 20*.)

Comment

Hi Sanah,

Like everyone has said, we've all been there

I can share with you the things that I did that helped me. I went to yoga as much as possible the week before surgery, which gave me me-time and a time and space to relax. I found myself repeatedly asking for peace and strength. It almost became my own "mantra." I spent the weekend before surgery with family and friends - lunches and brunches with my favorite girls, a date with my boyfriend, and a dinner with a combination of family and friends. The combination of those things really helped me feel calm, peaceful, strong, and POSITIVE going into surgery.

Take some time and thin about the things that make YOU feel good and give you the strength and calm that will help you through this process. Like others have said, and for me too, the recovery was much easier than the pre-op nerves.

You'll be great!
                2000 34*L/39*T
                2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
                (initially planned T4-L1)
                12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Dear Sanah-- I just wrote a bunch and then lost it somehow, so here goes again...

I think everyone has a rough week the week before surgery. It's hard because our emotions are all over the place... I know I had a couple of evenings when I had to go have a "good cry" by myself, because I felt so apprehensive. I also felt pretty good about it all and didn't seem to be afraid, so that confused me. Oh well. The time came and went and then it was surgery day. To me that week was a time of conflicting emotions and thoughts...

The morning of the surgery will go pretty quickly. If you want to read what it is like for some, you can go to a thread that vndy started-- this will get you there: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...highlight=vndy Just keep in mind that everyone's "adventure" is different, but this can give you some idea of what a few were like... I am sure there are other threads that talk about it also, but I remembered that one.

As far as being tired right now--that is possibly a defense mechanism (unless you are actually tired!) that your body is doing. Sleep is a refresher--and maybe your body knows you need that!-- and it can also serve as an escape from thinking of things you don't really want to dwell on. My suggestion for the rest of these few days is to have some fun times-- enjoy some favorite friends, activities, foods, your family, etc. But try to do at least a little of your homework if at all possible--you'll have to do it sometime, and you might regret later that you put it off.

The time will be here very soon and you'll get through it fine. I think we can all say that when you wake up, you'll feel very relieved that it's over with! As TXMM mentioned, you'll be well taken care of in the hospital--and then you'll be back home before you know it! Recovery is hard work, but the surgery will be behind you You can think about how much taller and straighter you are-- and start making plans for your summer!

I noticed your surgery isn't posted on the calendar... (or at least I didn't see it) --do you know how to put it there? It's not that important, but it would remind people on the forum that you are having surgery that day. I'll be praying for you-- for a successful surgery and relatively quick and uneventful recovery. Take care!
                  71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                  2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                  5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                  Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                  CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                  10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
                  X