Hi. I'm new here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi. I'm new here

Hi everyone! I'm Rachel, and I'm 14 years old in the 8th grade. I was diagnosed with scoliosis in 5th grade at the screenings at school. We have been monitoring my spine since then. About 9 moths ago, I went into my orthopedist, and he said that I was almost done growing, and that I would make one more trip back to make sure everything was ok. Well in November, I went back, and my spine had progressed 5 degrees. One monthe ago I started wearing a TLSO back brace. I went back today, and I had some x-rays, but everythiing was the same with brace on.

Well anyways, I'm very glad I found this place. It makes me feel much better, and not so quite alone. For the past few weeks, I have been going through this place and digging through threads and trying to find out as much as possiblle. It has been a HUGE help.

-Rachel

Without reposting what I asked in http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...5995#post55995 , could you explain this thread?

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

I am also very curious about the comment made regarding Deutchman. As many of you know, he was the chiro we initially went to before switching to Dr. Rivard.
      Melissa
      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Yeah, I don't understand why this is being spammed all over.

Carly's Mom, if you have a point, make it, please. The cryptic waste of time crossposts are getting annoying.
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom
          Yeah, I don't understand why this is being spammed all over.

Carly's Mom, if you have a point, make it, please. The cryptic waste of time crossposts are getting annoying.
          I agree, Pam. I read this thread three times and can't figure out what on earth does the now infamous "Valerie letter" have to do with Rachel's post?

(Please, no more spamming!!!)

And since the spam has sidetracked attention from the original post, I wanted to address it.

Rachel,

Hang in there, hon. As you know, you are probably almost done growing (I was by 8th grade - I was 5'1" then and am the same height now, almost 35 years later!)

Feel free to ask any questions here - you'll no doubt get some great advice from folks who have been there.

Also, have you checked out Spinekids? There are TONS of kids around your age, some who've had or are having surgery, and many who are currently wearing braces. Of course, you should stick around here too - but you might want to check out Spinekids as well if you haven't already.

Good luck!
          mariaf305@yahoo.com
          Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
          Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Originally posted by mariaf
            I agree, Pam. I read this thread three times and can't figure out what on earth does the now infamous "Valerie letter" have to do with Rachel's post?

(Please, no more spamming!!!)

And since the spam has sidetracked attention from the original post, I wanted to address it.

Rachel,

Hang in there, hon. As you know, you are probably almost done growing (I was by 8th grade - I was 5'1" then and am the same height now, almost 35 years later!)

Feel free to ask any questions here - you'll no doubt get some great advice from folks who have been there.

Also, have you checked out Spinekids? There are TONS of kids around your age, some who've had or are having surgery, and many who are currently wearing braces. Of course, you should stick around here too - but you might want to check out Spinekids as well if you haven't already.

Good luck!
            Thanks! Yes, I am actually almost done growing. I am about 5' 4". My ortho said that I would justhave to wear my brace until the growth plates were closed, and he said that would be soon.

I have will go check out Spine Kids sometime soon.

Comment

Hi Rachel,

I know wearing a brace can be tough, but you sound as though you realize that if you folllow your ortho's advice, just a little longer, it will pay off and you can hopefully avoid spinal fusion. It's really important to be compliant at this point - but you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders, so I'm sure you already know that

Good luck and please keep us posted.
              mariaf305@yahoo.com
              Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
              Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Bracing

Hi Rachel,

My name is Jennifer. I am currently the title Holder for Mrs. Oklahoma City and my platform is Scoliosis - A Voice of Hope! My intentions are to help anyone and everyone who has scoliosis because I have had it my whole life. I was first diagnosed when I was 12 and like you I progressed pretty fast as a teenager. I wore a Milwaukee Back Brace for 4 years of my teen age life. And boy did I learn something about who my true friends were and being humble!

But I just want to encourage you Rachel to hang in there! Follow all the proceedures your Doctor tells you and wear your brace. Also one thing that has helped me and continues to be a huge help in my life is Yoga. Find a good yoga instructor because it will strengthen your back muscles. Excerise and stretching is so helpful for your body and back muscles.

Good luck with everything and let me know how you are doing.

God bless you.
                Jennifer

Comment

Working...
                X