Surgery may have to be put off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery may have to be put off

Hi everyone, i had a docs appoinment yesterday not to talk about the surgery or anything for something else. I have been having trouble with the dreaded monthly so they put me on the mini pill, and now i just wont stopped, anyway i was low on iron before, now i am really really low, and they are going to wait to see if the pill finally works been on it for 3 months though.
    Anyway he said if and when i stopped bleeding it could take up to 6 months to get my iron levels back to normal and he said my surgeon would not do the surgery if it is low
    I am due surgery this summer sometime, dont know which month.

Anyone know any ailtertives I could try,a as the iron tablets are playing my tummy up which i always have problems with.

Thanks
    Angela
    Angela, 25 England.
    75 curve top of spine, and getting worse slowly.
    Surgery on 21st May 2008. T3-L4
    Op went well 20ish degree curve now.
    May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

Angela-- I know that has to be causing you a lot of concern plus be disappointing to think the surgery may/probably be postponed... There was a thread awhile ago that pertained to donating your own blood and had ways to boost your iron... I'm attaching a link to that thread-- I was trying to remember how much molasses I had taken each night...

You can "google" information about foods high in iron-- and also please note that orange juice helps with iron absorption. You can eat/take a lot of iron and still not get it into your system.

Good luck with it all! And keep us informed of how you're doing.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...light=molasses
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

hey thanks for that link, yeah my doctor said that i was just taking my iron tablets with water but he has advised taking with some fruit juice or something, i am know taking them with pure orange juice.
      I so hope it goes up in time for op, i havent heard of donating your own blood though is that just in US? England may be diff.

As long as my monthly stops sometime soon, i should have time to get back on track, it all depends. i ahve waited ages to have this op, finally get it offered to me and it may have to be put off
      Oh well what will be will be, and im buying a memory foam bed just in case, i think it will help with the pain i get now, maybe, but will sure help after the op if and when i have it.

Angela
      xx
      Angela, 25 England.
      75 curve top of spine, and getting worse slowly.
      Surgery on 21st May 2008. T3-L4
      Op went well 20ish degree curve now.
      May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

Comment

Hi Angela,

A couple of years ago I was very anemic and had very heavy periods. I was also older than you, I was 40. My Dr. Had me taking high doses of iron and it did not seem to be helping. She would ask are you taking it with Orange Juice and I said yes she could not figure out why it was not coming up. Well as it turns out I didn't tell her my spine Dr. had me taking lots of Calcium which can stop the absorbtion of Iron, and when I drank juice I made sure it had calcium added. When I started reading on the internet I read about the calcium, stopped taking it and talked to my Dr. as it turnned out we were able to get my iron levels high enough to have the surgery. Just thought I would mention the calcium to you as sometimes we don't know these things.
        Last edited by sccrm08; 10-16-2008, 12:07 AM.
        Patty 51 years old
        Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
        Posterior T3- L4
        Pre surgery curves
        T-53degrees
        L-38degrees
        and a severe side shift to the right.
        Post surgery curves
        Less than 10 degrees
        Surgery April, 2006
        C4 - C6

Comment