riding the school bus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• riding the school bus

Parents of kids who had spinal fusions, when did your children go back on the bus? Did you wait for the surgeon to tell you it was okay? When did they start walking in the halls with everyone else? I know each child is different. But I am trying to get an idea. We have been ultra conservative.
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Hi Melissa,

It was about 2-3 mos. before Joe rode on a school bus. But it wasn't an everyday thing, only being transported to extracurricular activities on occasion. As for walking crowded hallways, he added to my gray hairs by insisting on doing so upon his return to school.

Renee

Comment

Patrick took the bus first day back to school in september at 3 1/2 months but he said it really uncomfortable with the vibrations over country roads. So I ended up driving him for the first few months til about 6 months post-op. It seemed to be better for him then. As for the halls he was fine at 3 1/2 months when he went back to school. if he had gone back at 6-8 weeks I would have worried about this endlessly.
      I also think their sense of balance takes a while to come back. I have seen Patrick fall several times on the ice this winter much to my horror. He said he was fine each time but still... I envision his whole fusion coming undone!!
      mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
      diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
      also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
      fused T4 to L1

Comment

Alexander rode the bus after the surgeon said he could lift as much weight as he wanted - he was finally able to lift his rolling backpack up and down the stairs. He had also given up taking his pillow everywhere by then.
        Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
        Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
        Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Originally posted by scoliboymom
          ... I also think their sense of balance takes a while to come back.
          Patrick's Mom, that's no kidding! I totally lost my center of gravity the first 10 days or so, and constantly felt like I was listing in all directions.

I assume I was still trying to hold my body the way I had the last 30 years when almost nothing on my torso was located where it had been the last 30 years.

Everything seems much more stable now, but I've been doing tons of walking for the upcoming 5K. My training partners did get a few chuckles at first because I literally couldn't manage to consistently walk in a straight line ;-).
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
          X