I'm back home!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm back home!

Surrgery and everything went fine, only needed 2 units of blood. Th doctor got the thoracic curve wich was 60 down to 10 and the lumbar curve which was 45 to straight!I Cant beleive it, my husband says my back looks great. So far everything is going good. Hope all of the upcoming surgeries goes good too. I'm still having a hard time sleeping in the bed. Any suggestions?

I'm glad things went so well for you. Good luck sleeping.
    2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
    surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
    Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
    5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
    5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
    6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
    (left open with just clear dressing)
    6/6/08 recleaned and closed
    3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Welcome home! I found that using a memory foam mattress topper has helped with comfort so I can sleep better. I had a hospital bed at home for the first month and bought a cheap 2 inch twin size that worked wonders. Good Luck.
      Alicia
      Geish
      47 years old, dx at 13
      +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
      Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
      http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
      http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Hi Partner

Glad to hear that you are home and doing well. That's an incredible correction you got - I'm jealous! (But I'm old too, so that makes a difference. )

Sorry I don't have any recommedations about sleep. That's one thing I don't have trouble doing, especially if I'm on drugs. The first night in the hospital was the only problem, when I woke up every 5 minutes, thinking I had slept hours! The memory foam topper is a good suggestion.

Welcome home and good luck for your recuperation.
        FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
        10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
        8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
        5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
        2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
        3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

kdawn, welcome home!

I'm definitely in the "Memory Foam Topper Lovers" club. I picked my 2" one up at Target (king sized) for ±$170, and personally, I preferred the density to one I'd purchased before for my son from WalMart.

The memory foam wedges are also great - and I picked up a thing for my bed a few months back called the "Matress Genie". It's an air bladder that fits between the matress and box spring and bends/raises the matress (up to 1000 lbs). Inflates and deflates quickly via a vacuum pump.

Other than that, pillows. Lots and lots of pillows ... and I love my twin sized electric blanket!

Sleep will happen soon enough ... it just seems to be slow in coming when you can't for long stretches.

Good luck!

Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

In addition to the memory foam mattress, I used a large pillow under my knees. I also would briefly roll to the side and get my partner to rub my back. I went to bed really late, and got up early though, cos I was finding that I was uncomfortable in bed.
            1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
            2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
            2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
            Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
            msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

thanks for idea for the foam mattress. I'm starting to sleep a little better now and going longer without pain meds. So far I'm so glad I had this surgery and didn't put it off any longer. Walking helps so much with the pain. Hope everyone else is doing good

Comment

Originally posted by kdawn
                Surrgery and everything went fine, only needed 2 units of blood. Th doctor got the thoracic curve wich was 60 down to 10 and the lumbar curve which was 45 to straight!I Cant beleive it, my husband says my back looks great. So far everything is going good. Hope all of the upcoming surgeries goes good too. I'm still having a hard time sleeping in the bed. Any suggestions?
                My husband put pillows between my daughters mattress and the box spring to raise up the top and make an incline. She does not use a pillow with it like this. Seems to work like a charm. Good Luck.
                She is 20 days post op and just slept through the night 2 nights ago without waking up for meds! Hang in there!
                Michele
                Samsmom
                Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
                42 Degree Lumbar Curve
                Fused T-4 to L-2
                Yale New Haven
                2/5/08

Comment

Welcome home kdawn! Glad to hear your are managing to get a bit more sleep. Well done and welcome to the recovery side!
                  Mum to Annessa, age 15
                  53 degree thoracic curve down to 10 degrees.
                  Date of surgery: 7th Feb 2008
                  Edinburgh, Sick Kids
                  Fused T4 - L1

Comment

I will have to say everything is going a bit easier than expected other than sleeping. I'm trying to wean myself off my pain med and valium. How long did it take for others to get off meds? I'm only on Lortab 5mg and valium 5mg. I have to be off these before I can go back to work which is in 2 weeks. I'm wondering if I'll make it. Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                    X