Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent Appt.

Hey everyone,

I had my first post-op appointment yesterday with Dr. King (3 weeks after surgery). He took a couple x-rays and they looked so much better than what the first x-ray looked like (the rods and screws look kinda scary though ) And he asked me if I had been back to school yet! I told him that I wasn't ready to go back to school and he said the best thing would be for me to get back into my normal routine again, which includes going back to school (wasn't too happy about that one)So I'll be returning to school on Monday... please be praying for everything to go well next week; I'm quite overwhelmed with all of my schoolwork that I have yet to get all done.

I'm so glad that my spine is finally somewhat straight now!
    [[hailey]]

16 years old
    Had spinal fusion surgery on Jan. 30th, 2008 with Dr. Howard King at St. Luke's Children's Hospital in Boise
    Pre surgery: 52º Lumbar curve and 25º Thoracic curve

Good luck going back to school. Be sure your Parents talk to the school first to make the arrangements to have a second set of books at home, etc. Also, are you starting back half days like most of the kids do? You may need a doctor's note for that. We did.
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

matjesnic,

Thanks for taking time to read my post! I will be going back to school part time (maybe for 1-2 weeks) and then try to go full time. I completely forgot to ask for a doctors note for going back only part time... so I will have my mom call the dr.'s office and maybe have them fax over a note to the school. Also, my mom did talk with my school counselor and arranged for me to have special accomodations (leaving class 5 min. early, elevator pass, extra set of books, etc.) which made me feel alot better. I am concerned about when to start riding the school bus again though...

thanks again!
      [[hailey]]

16 years old
      Had spinal fusion surgery on Jan. 30th, 2008 with Dr. Howard King at St. Luke's Children's Hospital in Boise
      Pre surgery: 52º Lumbar curve and 25º Thoracic curve

Comment

Originally posted by beach_chikie
        ... So I'll be returning to school on Monday... please be praying for everything to go well next week; I'm quite overwhelmed with all of my schoolwork that I have yet to get all done.
        What a brave young woman you are ... I can only imagine how scary and uncertain you must feel going back at 3 weeks (I'm at 15 days post op, and I know I'd be! ;-).

Half days - and an extra set of books - are both definitely great ideas.

As far as the work you've missed that's worrying you, perhaps your teachers can abbreviate make up assignments. It certainly can't hurt to ask, and I'll bet if you start with your counselor he/she can work out a suitable scenario with your teachers.

I hadn't even thought about the school bus until I recently saw it on another thread. I doubt they're any more cushioned than 30 years ago, and just the thought of that bouncy ride makes me cringe. Are any of your friends car riders that you could hitch with for a few weeks?

Best of luck to you returning to "real life", and enjoy your new body and the start of your new life. You're going to do fine, sweetheart!

Best regards,
        Pam
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Good luck Hailey. I know it's a little scary to go back and to have all that work to make up, but things have a way of working themselves out.

Glad you're well enough to go back so soon, you sound like a very sweet girl and I hope everything works out for you.

Comment

You'll do great!

Hailey--I'm so glad to hear you are doing so well--and that you now have what sounds like a good plan for returning to school-- and easing into it. Remember if it gets to be too much that you can probably go lie down in the nurse's office for little bits, as long as you don't do it too much. I'd put off the bus ride as long as you can unless the bumps and rough ride don't bother you too much. I know I could feel every bump for quite awhile!

Yay! You have a great attitude and you are doing so well! After all you've been through, I'm sure you'll be able to work out that schoolwork ok--hopefully like TXMM suggested-- and if not, you'll be able to gradually get it all done. I think you'll enjoy seeing your friends again! Take care-- and I WILL be praying for a smooth transition for you as you return to school. Hugs!
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I hope your first weeks back at school go really well. Going back to school will probably help you feel more like your old self again. I'd wait until you feel able to go up and down the steep stairs on the bus before riding it and also make sure the bus driver knows to go slow over any bumps in the road.
              Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
              Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
              Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Working...
              X