Swimming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swimming

I've heard numerous times that swimming is great for the back and for scoliosis. I'm not the best swimmer and my right shoulder is not fully functional at the moment (I'm assuming due to my curve progressing). I can use it but cannot make the circular motion required for the "normal" swimming method. At my gym they have the long tubes as well as the rectangular shaped foam pads to use while swimming.

Can anyone recommend a form of swimming either with the "floaty things" or without that would benefit my back but not require too much use of my shoulder?

Thank you for the help!

I'm a HUGE fan of swimming, I swam a lot prior to my surgery, and used many different techniques to get the most of it. Things I have been doing that would be great for you, would be the following
    1) Kickboard - you can pick these small ones up cheaply, and just hold it and kick with your legs. The top swimmers use them to refine their kick, but for everyone else, it's a great way to work the abs and buns! I found my legs and butt tone up really quickly doing that, plus it's good cardio. The tips for kickboarding are to make sure that your keeping your kick even on each side, so if you are stronger on your right, make sure that you're using your left side just as much.
    2)Water walking! I walk up and down in the pool, and the resistance of the water means that it is an effort to keep your body front on in the water and walk straight. You can increase the intensity by pushing a floating 'noodle' through the water. These can also be used to help with exercises for your back, including abdominal work. The faster you walk, the harder it is to keep your hips and shoulders 'square'. So start of slow and build up, you'll get the feel of it.
    3) Kickboard plus arms- when you're more confident with kicking, you can use the kickboard to support you while you do a few strokes with your arms. you hold the board with one hand while you stroke with the other, and then swap. This is a good way of building up your upper body strength, but in a way that isn't going to over work things. Eventually you could ditch the kickboard and be swimming!
    4) Pull Buoy- this is a floaty thing that goes between your legs (up high) and floats you without you needing to kick. You then 'swim' using just your arms. This is a good way of getting an upper body work out, and building upper body strength. This is something that I would suggest building up slowly, as it is quite intense if you (like me) have problems with your shoulders. But it is a good way of exercising this area in a gentle way.

I LOVE the pool, and I have been doing water walking (feet on the ground kind, but you can have a float waist belt and do it suspended) since I had my surgery. Build it up slowly, but it is really good.

If you can find a physical therapist who does aquatherapy, get a program from them. You should also be able to find something online. But a personalised program is great, and I have had huge benefits from the program my physio put together. Good luck! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
    1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
    2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
    2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
    Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
    msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm not terribly comfortable in deep water and I'm only a passable swimmer. So I own an Aquajogger buoyancy belt which gives me some security, and "aquabelles" for arm workouts. They have a number of products that might be more suitable for you, and they come with a complete series of exercises. I haven't been able to use them much recently because of the problems I have had, but when I can use them I love them! (Full disclosure: The prices might be too much for some.)

www.aquajogger.com/
      FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
      10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
      8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
      5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
      2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
      3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

try side strokes? With that you can let one arm rest.

You can also try using just one arm for any of the other stokes. It's different, but people actually will do that on purpose.
        30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
        2005 - T50, L31
        bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
        2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
        Post - op curve ~35

Comment

In regard to the aquajogger, my physio (who is trained in aquatherapy) has suggested that it is not a good idea for me to use the belt in the pool and be suspended without my feet on the ground. I'm not sure why, but I think it might be something to do with the weird positions that I could get myself in to. Thats why I suggested to do water walking with the feet on the ground, but each to their own!
          2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
          msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks NZ giri. After my first surgery (T4-L4) I was sent for water therapy where I was suspended in deep water the entire time.
            We have come across this so many times on this site - doctors/PTs giving different, often conflicting, instructions. I would like to put all those people in a room and tell them don't come out until you all agree on a coordinated plan for recuperation and stop contradicting each other! Dream on ...
            FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
            10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
            8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
            5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
            2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
            3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

You can use a "noodle". Put it between your legs and ride it like a bike. It will work your legs and arms. There are also belts that you can wear around your waist. We use them at the pool I belong to for deep water aerobics. Even walking in chest high water is a great work out for your back. We have a treadmill, exercise bike and an elliptical all in the water to work out on. There are a lot of exercises you can do in the pool without swimming.
              T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
              2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
              3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
              Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Rainbow I want to visit your pool! It sounds way more fun than mine! I'm at the 'elite' pool in NZ where all our olympians go and train (sounds impressive but we don't have that great reputation internationally for swimming) but even we don't have treadmills and bikes in the water! That would be wicked! I love to do anything in the water.
                I had a wee giggle thinking about riding a noodle
                msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

My pool is a senior therapy pool. You have to be 50 years old or have a doctor's note to go there. (I have a note) They keep the water at 90 degrees. They also have water walking, aerobics, neck-knee-spine, arthritis, and yoga classes in the pool. We have a lot of fun while we work out!
                  T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                  2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                  3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                  Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Originally posted by nzgirl
                    Rainbow I want to visit your pool! It sounds way more fun than mine! I'm at the 'elite' pool in NZ where all our olympians go and train (sounds impressive but we don't have that great reputation internationally for swimming) but even we don't have treadmills and bikes in the water! That would be wicked! I love to do anything in the water.
                    I had a wee giggle thinking about riding a noodle
                    Training pools are probably not the best place for rehab type work out.... those types tend to keep the water temp at competition level, and lanes are likely to be taken by swimmers who urh, will get annoyed at 'noodlers'. Not my terms, but that's what masters swimmers say.

The Y i goto has two pools, a 25 yard cold pool and a 20 yard warm shallow pool. I haven't been in the warm pool in months cause swimming in the warm water to me is like swimming in a bathtub. I get less tired in the cold water than in warm.
                    30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
                    2005 - T50, L31
                    bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
                    2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
                    Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Working...
                    X