OMG ... and I swore I wouldn't ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG ... and I swore I wouldn't ...

"IT" finally happened, and while I had EVERY intention of keeping "IT" private, a few observations must be voiced, and THEN, *truly* I am done.

I will not speak of this again. Ever. Not under duress, threat, torture or intoxication. Infact, anyone reading this on archives, I didn't even write this ... it was one of those Susie/Suzy girls - or maybe trulyaries. Watch out for those women ... they're obsessed with the topic ;-).

1.) Things started badly when I dropped the book in the toilet (yes, BEFORE). Thank goodness I go nowhere without my grabber. I ended up not needing my book anyway, as I used this peaceful (my A**!), reflective time for prayer (mostly that I'd die).

2.) I had surgery Feb 5th! How is storage capacity of this magnitude even possible????

3.) Sherie, I love you for bringing fiber laden groceries. Really, really, REALLY. Sheena, I love you for not snickering (at least audibly) knowing what was in my future. Your Momma raised you right - LOL.

4.) They warn you when you leave the hospital about lifting a gallon of milk and not THAT? Logic, someone? Anyone???

OMG, please tell me that marks some milestone, and I'll be doing the Tango tomorrow ... or at least no longer walking like a character from "Shawn of the Dead".

I need a nap.
    Last edited by txmarinemom; 02-19-2008, 08:00 PM.
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

LOL

We all know this milestone and are relieved by IT. I still get happy when things go smoothly. I still don't think everything is the way it should yet, so IT always makes my day! I must say that for me the real milestone came when I could accomplish this feat and all that IT entails all by myself as I am fused to the sacrum and there is absolutely no bending at all!
    Geish
    47 years old, dx at 13
    +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
    Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Coughing fit.........

OMG Pam,

I laughed so hard it threw me into a coughing fit where I fully expected my lungs to appear at any moment. (I have been sick in bed with the flu for the past 5 days.) I told you there was joy in "IT!" I am not obsessed with "IT" just honest about "IT." Congratulations?!? LMAO!! I actually was thinking of you as I have been laying in bed sick. I would rather be recovering from my back surgery all over again then have this flu.... Suzy

Comment

Hey Pam

Sure, anytime. Next time I'll bring you some Metamucil and shredded wheat.

I almost lost "IT" reading your post! I swear, Sheena didn't have this happen to her or I would have warned you about it. You started eating as soon as they closed you up, Sheena didn't eat hardly a thing for 2 weeks, could have something to do with it???

Comment

Aw, sorry about the flu, Suzy girl.

(Mom voice here -very practiced since I think I must have asked my 18 year old daughter something stooooopid like 156 times in the last 2 months ...) "Did you get your flu shot, Suzy?".

She never got it, BTW - and she's now screwed around too long to fess up if she gets it. Someone please, PLEASE tell me the purpose of age 18. I've yet to find any quasi-pleasant quality ...

My 20 year old Marine (not long ago a non-vaccinated 18 yr old dumba** himself) has no choice in shots ... flu or otherwise.

One of the funnier lines they told them in bootcamp "Your name is now "Next".".

They actually gave them all some live, attenuated super-version of FluMist with some other crap mixed in. Who knows what it was, but they were all zonked out for 4-5 days. Better stateside than in the field I s'pose.

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by Sherie
            Hey Pam

Sure, anytime. Next time I'll bring you some Metamucil and shredded wheat.

I almost lost "IT" reading your post! I swear, Sheena didn't have this happen to her or I would have warned you about it. You started eating as soon as they closed you up, Sheena didn't eat hardly a thing for 2 weeks, could have something to do with it???
            Not the Metamucil and shredded wheat, again, Mommy ... I promise I'll be good ...

... ~whimper~ ...

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

OMG Pam! I am hysterical reading your posts. Samantha had "problems' like you as well. I finally opened metamucil capsules and mixed them in a bowl of oatmeal, then covered it with cinnamon to hide the taste. That FINALLY did the trick!
              Hope you're doing well. FYI, Sam is now off all meds except Advil. She finally has turned the corner and was her old self this afternoon.

Best to everyone,
              Michele
              Samsmom
              Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
              42 Degree Lumbar Curve
              Fused T-4 to L-2
              Yale New Haven
              2/5/08

Comment

It

Ok, ladies, I like to be a part of "The Cool Kids Club" like everybody else, but "The IT Club" doesn't sound like it's all that much fun! I used to be afraid of so many things pertaining to surgery, like the pain, the long recovery, not being able to wash my hair for 9 days, but now IT has me terrified! And I'm not even scheduled for surgery yet! Hopefully Ill be scared sh**less!
                Becky, 46 years old
                Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
                Ignored until 448/07
                Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
                Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
                Fused T-10 to L-5
                14 titanium pedicle screws
                Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
                Email

Comment

Originally posted by skoshi314
                  Ok, ladies, I like to be a part of "The Cool Kids Club" like everybody else, but "The IT Club" doesn't sound like it's all that much fun! I used to be afraid of so many things pertaining to surgery, like the pain, the long recovery, not being able to wash my hair for 9 days, but now IT has me terrified! And I'm not even scheduled for surgery yet! Hopefully Ill be scared sh**less!
                  Hey, wait! I'm TEN days out now ... I can wash my hair?? I need to call Hanson's office anyway, so I'll ask!

I tried Sherie's "cut holes in a trashbag and tape the neck sealed to within an inch of asphyxiation" trick a few days ago and it worked great. Dressing she'd so kindly retaped for me days before stayed dry. Unfortunately, I ran out of energy before I dried my hair so it looks exactly like it did pre-washing. Bummer!

Becky, take "the IT Club Initiation" story as intended ... a wacky tale just begging for a bit o' embellishment.

I really did knock my book in the toilet. Any story that starts with "In a race against time, our heroine checked the lock on her grabber and began to furiously fish, thinking *thank GAWD* it's a paperback ..." is just too good to leave unpenned .

Although I swore in my initial post I'd not speak of this again under " ... duress, threat, torture or intoxication ..." (I can't make "not enough coffee" fit any of those, really - *sigh), I feel I must revisit the subject since I've unduly freaked you out.

It seems I read you have kiddos (3, perhaps?) and I assure you it is nothing, nothing, NOTHING compared to the after of giving birth. You did that, you'll be fine, babe.

They'll start you on a "softener" (that term just disturbs me somehow - major heebie jeebies) in the hospital, and actually it's over the counter (i.e., you might be able to start taking it before hand (you'd have to ask). If you tell you doctor why you're asking he'll probably suggest you find new friends.

Others here have suggested finding a "routine" that works for you before surgery (and I cannot even convey how creeped out I am to be speaking of this!!)

Sherie had a valid point about not eating everything in the whole dayum hospital from the second you open your eyes post op. That was um, probably less than prudent on my part.

Honestly, aside from the fact I weigh 105 lbs and NINE DAYS of food FIT (and not uncomfortably, which is the scariest part ... what the hell could be going on in there of which I'm unaware??), and I haven't spent that much time in my bathroom since I recaulked, it wasn't what I'd consider traumatic.

Just funny as "IT".

(... and trust me, the hair marinating is far more disgusting ;-)

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

LMAO Pam!!!!
                    Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
                    Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
                    Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom
                      Someone please, PLEASE tell me the purpose of age 18.
                      If you get the answer, Pam, I'd pay good money to hear it
                      mariaf305@yahoo.com
                      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Thanks, Pam! In all honesty after having birthed 3 children and 2 kidney stones and having been marrried for almost 22 years (OMG that sounds like SUCH a long time when you say it!) it's gonna take a little more than IT to scare me. As most of you can affirm, after dealing with the pain of scoliosis for any length of time, I'm willing to put up with it if I'm gonna feel better eventually. BTW, my eldest is 17 (female) and I've been wondering since about age 6 what I did to my parents that merits having to 'pay for my raising"! I echo mariaf, and if you have some type of ephiphany, I beg of you to share, share, share!
                        Becky, 46 years old
                        Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
                        Ignored until 448/07
                        Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                        Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
                        Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
                        Fused T-10 to L-5
                        14 titanium pedicle screws
                        Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
                        Email

Comment

I sort of wish I had had your problem...

The day after surgery, I HAD to get up and walk to the bathroom because the antibiotics (I assume, since I've had the issue before) gave me really bad diarrhea that lasted 3 or 4 days! Worst of all, I couldn't bend to wipe very well, so my husband of 2 months did it for me with these baby wipe looking things! I have never even peed with the door open or with him in the room before...

Being all drugged up and having your new husband glove up and wipe you seemed like a low point in my life...It all got even better when I *unexpectedly* started my period the second day of all this... The hospital gave me some pads that looked like they were from 1980 , so I quickly called my sister and had her stop on the way to visit me.

Maybe you should consider yourself fortunate.

Roseann
                          2001 T-sp 58* L-sp 55*
                          2007 T-sp 64* L-sp 67*
                          Surgery Dec. 21 2007
                          Posterior fusion T3 to L3

Comment

OMG, Rosie ... I am furiously drying my laptop keyboard after blowing a mouthful of water on it ... I'm sorry for laughing ... but ... I ... can't ... stop!!!

I can't even begin to imagine how to explain "the incident" to Dell Warranty Support.

BTW, I have to say - on the topic of spontaneous menstruation after surgery, the year round pill kept mine at bay. I just take a low dose (non-phasal) pill every day, and always skip the last week. Worked like a champ!

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                            EMAIL ME

Comment

OOps!! No Shampoo???

I have been helping Sam shampoo her hair in the shower all week. She has been taking showers everyday since she got home last Monday. The hot water really seems to help her back pain. In just reading your postings I'm thinking that maybe I misunderstood the doctor and she wasn't supposed to get her back wet. I was a little loopy from lack of sleep when he gave us the discharge instructions, so that is a definite possibility. HELP PLEASE. Tell me what your surgeons said. Good news is she is still together!!!
                              - Michele
                              Samsmom
                              Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
                              42 Degree Lumbar Curve
                              Fused T-4 to L-2
                              Yale New Haven
                              2/5/08

Comment

Working...
                              X