Mush Alert - LOL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mush Alert - LOL!

8 days out from the most scary, by far the most painful, quite possibly the most alone I've EVER felt on the backside of 39 years, an ephiphany occurs to me; so stunning in its simplicity, I feel like a child in comparison to the "me" of 3 months ago.

I realize the most valuable, most poignant moments ... the most wonderful opportunities ... things to make all the difference in a fellow human's day - and the people (oh, the people!) you'd never be blessed to meet if all were perfect.

I swear it's not the meds talking as I sit here, tears leaking, heart bursting - and truly thankful my life isn't perfect ... for I certainly would have missed an intangible perfection (via imperfection), without measure, via each of your absence.

I've cheerleaded/been cheerleaded since I joined (mariaf, vndy, LorDon, geo, geish, Sherie, pnuttro, all the susie's/suzy's, etc. - and too many others to count). I've listened to some very wise people here who gently - and sometimes not so gently - managed to teach me I didn't know a fraction of what I thought I knew. They taught me to really TRY to imagine our similarities - and differences - before I popped off and made someone's day worse (and I wish I could apologize to all I did in my ignorance).

The most joyous things I can recollect in ages happened over the last few days:

- Pnuttro (who lives close enough, but I'd never met) took time from her busy day to come see me in the hospital ... twice

- FeliciaFeliciaFelicia (whom I'd only talked to on the phone, briefly) called today to tell me she was doing well!!! ... I cried, Felicia - you're SO due.

- I got a voice phone/email connection to LorDon ... and it was all I knew it would be ...

- Sherie surprised me with a visit this morning - and groceries for which she refused recompense ... and wonderful company. Yet one of many of this journey I feel I've known forever ...

My thought for today is "I hate that any of us worry about ourselves and our kids. Personally, I wouldn't trade one single second of the time I've spent here - and the things I've learned about how to be a better friend ... and a better person.".

I'm not generally one for sticky, cloying sap, but my advice is run, don't walk, for the nearest shower ;-).

Much love,
    Pam
    Last edited by txmarinemom; 03-25-2008, 10:44 AM. Reason: added post back in, after voluntary removal, in its 2/13/08 form.
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Yes Pam,
    The imperfections really are a blessing in disguise! You are one of the many blessings in my life since I first logged on to this site. To learn that we are not alone. To learn that so many others out there care about us even when they don't really know us. To learn that we are right and wrong, each and every one of us. To laugh and cry at the accomplishments and set backs we all have. Thank you for reminding me and I am sure others of our many blessings.
    Happy Valentine's Day!
    XO Alicia
    Geish
    47 years old, dx at 13
    +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
    Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

you forgot to pass out the kleenex...

Pam--what an insightful, from the heart post. It's so good to hear from you and how much you appreciate life and the people who care for you--even though so many of us will never meet you in person.

This is all about growing in so many ways, isn't it? (That's rhetorical...) The struggles, challenges, disagreements, learning, sharing--above all else, the sharing! We're all different but we are all united through our shared problem--and how we deal with it all. That's what has always impressed me on the forum. And how others' ideas give us a new slant to look at things life tosses (sometimes hurls) our way.

I have always found hospitals to be very lonely places. Part of it is because you don't feel good--in fact, let's face it, you are downright miserable. You are in such pain, in fact, that you don't feel like reading or watching tv, or anything else to speak of. So we just lie there in bed, feeling rotten. Which gives us all that empty time for contemplation. Your contemplation has quite obviously led you to a very positive attitude of appreciation for what is/has been/will be happening in your life. What a great comment on a terrific gal! Keep up the good work, looking at the positives, and you'll be back to your energetic self in no time at all. We're all rooting and praying for you! I'm so glad you're at home, doing well, and that people are checking on you. You'll see how it keeps on getting better and better all the time.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

What a beautiful way to look at life! You've obviously brought a lot of joy to people here through your creative and entertaining style of writing. Write that book while you have a chance!

Talk to you soon,

Comment

Aww, Pam. That post brought tears to my eyes. Once again, I'm stunned by your writing. Speechless, in fact. Ditto what the ladies before me have said. I couldn't have said it any better.

All the best to you during your recovery Pam. Glad to have you back!

Hugs,
          Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
          Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
          Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Originally posted by Sherie
            Write that book while you have a chance!
            Yes, Pam, you'd do a great job penning your memoirs I'm sure - I'll be first in line to buy a copy

Your post was beautiful and so very true. I have often said that I would not have chosen for my son to have scoliosis - BUT that there have been MANY positives that came from it....the biggest one being the chance to "meet" so many wonderful, giving folks and make new friends.

Hugs,
            mariaf305@yahoo.com
            Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
            Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

You've Got to Have Friends

Pam,

I know your current feelings from the heart ring true and are shared by many of us! Glad to hear your brain is clear enough to sense and feel all of the emotions of being on the other side. I hope that your physical pain and discomfort are minimal or at least under effective control. To the great dismay of my family and friends, since my June surgeries, I seem to constantly be humming "You've Got to Have Friends" and have taken to telling people how much I appreciate them. Family members, old friends, new friends you meet in the hospital, neighbors or casual acquaintances who surprise you by dropping by for a visit, to go for a walk with you or bring you a treat, a meal or something to read, the incredibly special NSF on line friends who you may never meet from the other parts of this country and friends you have yet to meet all have more significance when you have had a surgical/emotional experience of this magnitude. How lucky can we get with the opportunity to take advantage of the medical advances that offer us a chance to treat our scoliosis and the many people who have now become our "friends" and such a valuable part of our lives.

Wishing you rapid progress in your recovery and a Happy Valentine's Day.
              Linda W.
              Linda
              Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
              S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
              Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
              Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Welcome to the other side.

Very well said Pam,

I think as the days go by you will have more Epiphanies. This is such a learning and growing experience. The ability to share our milestones and setbacks bring us closer in ways to each other then our own families. (They just don't understand the joy of the first BM post-op like those here do!) I love that anytime one needs to vent or express how they are feeling there is always someone here. You are a wonderful addition to this family and you have helped us as much as we hopefully have helped you. I knew if you had a new post it would make me laugh and some days I really needed one. Also, giving me more knowledge to help others in getting prepared! I too vote for a book, you really have a knack for putting words together. May your recovery go smooth and these days coast by quickly. Hugs to you! Suzy

Comment

Ok ... I spit my coffee.

Why's it always gotta be about poop?!?

While I find it uber-cool (not to mention super enlightened n' sh** - no pun intended) we are defacto members of this "1st One After" club, I propose we save ink and paper by recycling membership cards to the next deserving recipient.

If I accidentally throw this thing out of my purse one more time in full view of 50 other customers while digging for my CVS Extra Care Card, I ~cannot~ be held responsible for my actions ...
                  Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                  AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                  Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                  Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

Had to laugh too...

Ahh, but before that first bm... The ironic thing for me was that after a month of being totally humiliated ( at work and elsewhere) from excess (way in excess!) gas from the mega doses of iron I was taking (for blood donation purposes), I was thrilled with passing my first little "toots" in the hospital... I had begun to think my stomach would NEVER wake back up! Finally the big event happened on day 5 after surgery, and I wasn't allowed any drink or food until then... I was so thirsty for a real drink! Up till then all I got were a few ice chips at a time... So those tiny little barely audible toots were cause for great celebration!
                    Last edited by Susie*Bee; 02-14-2008, 09:31 AM. Reason: typo

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Pam and Susie*Bee, you certainly paint a rosy picture! My laughter is not in any way, shape or form meant to be taken as jest but simply as a form of acceptance of what I am in for after surgery. Seriously though, I'm taking in every bit of information I can so I'll know what to expect once I do have surgery. I'm somewhat over the line on the OCD highway so knowing what to expect, in detail, is so helpful in alleviating as much stress as possible!
                      Becky, 46 years old
                      Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
                      Ignored until 448/07
                      Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                      Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
                      Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
                      Fused T-10 to L-5
                      14 titanium pedicle screws
                      Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
                      Email

Comment

Becky--you've got to sort of keep your sense of humor with some of this. Although I must admit I was totally, absolutely mortified with the gas problem at school!!! I don't think too many people have been asked to, or been able to, donate 4 units of blood in that month before surgery, but that's what I did--hence the mega doses of iron. The main complaint about iron is that it causes constipation. In my case, I did have that, but it PALED in relation to the flatulence problemo! (You need to realize I'm very conservative and that absolutely killed me!-- I grew up in a family that didn't even dare talk about such things... it was sort of unspeakable and rude. I've come a long way with that, but not far enough to be able to joke much or laugh it off in such a public place.)

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Lol!!! I apologize in advance.....

I'd always heard the expression, "Sh** a brick..." But never knew what it was like to do so until after my first surgery....

Comment

It's a rule in my family that when the conversation (inevitably) turns to sh**, it's time for everyone to go home!!

Ha ha, this post has really made me smile! Pam, you made me think back to all my pre-op posts and all the reassurance I got here. This site has been absolutely invaluable to me before and after surgery. Nowhere else could I find the answers to my minutiae questions, or anyone who understood why I needed to know what color shirt other people wore the morning of surgery....

Yes, this surgery/vulnerability brings about so many good things too - makes you realize how much goodness there is in people, strangers and family alike.
                            31 year old female
                            55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
                            T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
                            Xray, 3 mos. post-op
                            Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Love your attitude!!!

Pam, I'm so happy that you are on the other side of your surgery and amazed at your ability to express such a wonderful attitude. Scary, painful, and alone, - those words certainly describe what I and I'm sure all of us felt after our surgeries. However I became introverted, didn't want visitors, couldn't get past the pain to talk on the phone or post for quite some time (wah, wah, wah, what a pity party).

I have a friend who would say "I feel like I've been shot through an orchard and hit every tree", don't know why I just remembered that phrase...??

You are certainly an inspiration to us all. "Ditto" again to what everyone else said and if I had your gift with words I certainly would write a book. I have a long story to tell about my post-op sh** experience but won't get into that yet. Keep on getting better and better each day, it really does work that way. Take care,
                              Susan
                              Susan, Age 60, getting accustomed to my new back!
                              A/P Surgery Oct. 15 and 22, 2007
                              Spinal fusion T10 -S1 with Segmental instrumentation
                              Thorocolumbar pre-op curve 63 degrees: post-op curve less than 10 degrees per Dr. at 6-month appt.
                              Dr. Robert A. Hart @ Oregon Health & Science University, (OHSU) Spine Center, Portland, OR

Comment

Working...
                              X