Sharp Pains??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharp Pains??

I recently had surgery Jan. 30th, 2008 for my scoliosis (I had a 52* curve). I have been having some really sharp pains that shoot from the top of my back all the way down to my hips. It takes my breath away! And my hair seems to be falling out like crazy! Is any of this normal?? My hips have really been hurting lately too, almost as bad as my back... any advice would be appreciated

Hailey Atkinson
    14 y.o.
    surgery date was Jan. 30th, 2008 with Dr. Howard King
    52* curve
    [[hailey]]

16 years old
    Had spinal fusion surgery on Jan. 30th, 2008 with Dr. Howard King at St. Luke's Children's Hospital in Boise
    Pre surgery: 52º Lumbar curve and 25º Thoracic curve

Hailey,

I had the same things with my surgery, but I would mention the shooting pain to your surgeon just so it goes in your file. I don't remember how long the pain lasted but it does get better.
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

Comment

Its all normal...

Hi Hailey,

The pains you have been experiencing may be from the nerves reattaching/reawakening; also the muscles get very sore from being pulled away from the spine during surgery, then getting used to the "new" repositioning once the correction takes place. Your spine and hips are also moved into a new position and that takes time for your body to get used to. The hair loss is normal for one going through the stress of surgery. Your only a couple of weeks post-op, give it a little more time, and I'll bet you'll be feeling a whole lot better

Best wishes,
      Renee

Comment

Working...
      X