Rib hump gone after fusion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rib hump gone after fusion?

Hi everyone! I haven't been on in a long time but our latest is that my daughter's main thoracic curve progressed by 15 degrees in the last 6 months. It went from 50 to 65!!!! Surgery is booked for April 10, 2008 at CHOP, with Dr. Flynn.
    My question is about her rib hump. Does anyone know if it's possible to have a rib hump & not yet have scoliosis?
    In Laura's case, she was diagnosed in 8th grade (she's now in 10th) & that's when we realized that the bone that's been protruding in the front of her body for as long as we can remember (well before her scoli diagnosis) is called a rib hump. In fact, we remember Laura not wanting to wear bikinis when she was much younger, because of it.
    My question is like the 'which came first, the chicken or the egg?' question. Was her rib hump there before her scoliosis or did she have undiagnosed scoliosis which caused the rib hump, a very long time ago?
    Martha
    Mother of Laura, Age 19
    Diagnosed with S curve at Age 13 (49*T/32*L)
    Wore brace for one year (Wilmington Jacket)
    Posterior spinal fusion on April 17, '08 with Dr. Flynn at CHOP (Age 16)
    Fused T2-L2
    Pre-op curves: 41*UT/66*T/34*L
    Post-op curves: 14*UT/19*T/19*L
    Note: At 1 yr. post-op appt, UNFUSED lumbar curve improved to 14*!!
    OK to email me at: malka22@comcast.net

Hi Martha,

sorry to hear about your daughters rapid progression. That seems to be the "nature of the beast" sometimes. As far as which comes first, I don't know that there is a definite answer. I know in my 1st son's case, the curve was steadily progressing before the rotation became significant. It seemed to happen during the most rapid period of growth. I would be interested to hear who (how many) has experienced a rib hump or significant pain or discomfort with a minimal curve? Was rotation of spine ever considered a contributing factor?

Best wishes to your and your daughter,

Renee

Comment

Martha,

As Nicole's curves got worse, her rotation got worse and her rib hump become more obvious.
      Melissa
      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

I have a small rip hump as well, I think it's from the scoliosis... not the other way around. My doctor told me that the scoliosis can make your vertebrae rotate and what this happens in your C-Spine it can rotate your ribs slightly, hence the outward "hump." My question is whether or not the surgery will correct this... because of the slight rotation my left breast protrudes slightly more than my right, left side of rib cage protrudes a bit, etc.

Comment

I know there is a registered member here who's child has a rib hump without a diagnosis of scoliosis. They are monitoring the hump and watching for possible curve development. I can't remember the username off the top of my head.

Comment

Working...
          X