Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something new to ask your Dr.

Hi All,

I just went to visit a friend locally that just had her surgery 1/25 and have to share something with everyone.

She is very fair skinned and very thin. Due to laying on her stomach for the 11 1/2 hours it took for her surgery she had a sore on her chin and her hip bones. (It looked like rug burn.) You might ask your Dr. if they will place you face down on a donut shaped pad (like when you get a massage.) to prevent this from happening. Also, a towel under thin hips wouldn't hurt either I would think. She is doing great but, she didn't need to deal with this too!

Pam, I hope you see this in time, I know from your photo you look pretty thin! Good luck tomorrow! Best wishes, Suzy
    Last edited by Suzy; 02-04-2008, 05:14 PM.

Padding pressure points is one of the routine things they do pre-op after you are under anesthesia. It is important for the surgical team to make sure they have discovered all possible areas of high pressure, but with a long surgery it is very likely that you will get a couple sore spots from being in one spot for so long.
    Suzy- Glad to hear that you friend is doing well after her surgery. Hope her recovery continues to go smoothly.

Comment

Yup, the preparation prior to surgery includes lots of padding on every pressure point. Unfortunately, the patient gets moved somewhat during surgery, and the pads can get dislodged. It's not uncommon for one to wake up from surgery with bruises or sores in various spots.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Even with the padding and precautions I came out of my 11.5 hour surgery with 5 small scars on my face. I too am small and I think the skin over that period of time just separates. I used Mederma but I think I started using it to late. I have one scar on my cheek that won't go away or fade. Thank goodness for makeup.
        CarolS
        68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
        Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
        Osteotomy March 20,2008
        Thrilled with results!

Comment

Working...
        X