PDA

View Full Version : The first February surgeries are here!

LorDon
02-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Hi Everybody,

Looks like Pam and Sam are headed into surgery tomorrow. (Pam and Sam -sounds like a Dr. Seuss book!)

Pam,
I'll be thinking about you all day tomorrow as you take this step toward your new life with a new and much straighter back. I have no doubt that you will do great with that determined personality of yours. You've done all your homework (and then some!) and you are very well prepared so now it's time to let Hanson work his magic. I look forward to hearing your entertaining tales during your recovery!

Michele,
I will also have you and Sam in my thoughts all day tomorrow. Sam is a very lucky girl to have such a great Mom by her side. Tomorrow will be a difficult day as you sit in that waiting room waiting to see your "baby" again after the surgery, but the relief that you will feel will be enormous.

All the best to you both! Sending lots of prayers for successful and smooth surgeries!! I look forward to hearing from both of you from the "other side". It's a great place to be! :)

Big hugs to you both,

Susie*Bee
02-04-2008, 11:29 AM
LorDon-- You said it all, so I will just say "ditto"-- !!! Sending love, hugs, and prayers your way...

txmarinemom
02-04-2008, 11:40 AM
... to everyone who has been so encouraging on here and PM. Y'all are great, and it means so much!

Regards,
Pam

Geish
02-04-2008, 11:45 AM
You will both be in my thoughts tomorrow and in the days that follow as you make your own journeys towards recovery! Best wishes.
Alicia

Sharshe
02-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Good luck to both of you.

geo
02-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Pam - I'll be thinking of you!!!!

It will be fine - you've got a great surgeon who you trust, you're prepared (no doubt), and you've got a great attitude about all of this, and those are key ingredients to the success of this surgery. I look forward to hearing about your recovery and post-op plans! And I think it's so cool that you are already making a list of goals, and I plan to join you in that list-making.

The very best to you!!

ca-native
02-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Hi Pam,

I wanted to send my support to you as you head into surgery tomorrow. You are such a delight and you have many, many people sending "cyber-hugs" your way.

Thank you for your kindness and the suggestions you have given to me. I send you my best wishes for a speedy recovery and we will anxiously await your "post-surgical posts" from the new, straighter you!

briarrose
02-04-2008, 03:26 PM
I will be praying for both of you. Best of luck!!!

mariaf
02-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Pam,

I will be thinking of you tomorrow and waiting to hear some good news.

I don't know Michelle and Sam but I DEFINITELY will be praying for them as well.

May both these surgeries go perfectly!

vndy
02-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Pam is out of surgery and doing well... so well in fact that she picked up the phone and was making phone calls this evening!

She puts my day 1 to shame already!

geo
02-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Ha ha! I can't say I'm too shocked, not with Pam. Good for her!!

LorDon
02-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Ditto!!!! Don't be surprised if you see her posting sometime tonight! :D

mariaf
02-05-2008, 07:49 PM
I got a call from Pam as well. She sounded great. I have a feeling that her recovery will be an inspiration to many.

She's quite a gal!

nate03
02-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Hi-
I am so glad to hear that Pam's surgery is behind her, and she can start on her road to recovery. I am sure she will do amazingly well!!
Good luck Pam!
-Cara

Mom to Nathan Age 11
Diagnosed 24 deg. in July 2007, progressed to 38 deg. by August 2007
Boston Back Brace since 8/07 12/07
Vertebral Stapling 12/10/07 Boston Children's Hospital
Dr. Betz/Dr. Hresko
40 Degrees before VBS
25 Degrees After VBS

skoshi314
02-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Thanks so much for the updates! Next time someone talks to Pam, please let her know I'm a little disappointed she's still in the hospital. I figured Super Pam would be home making a list of things to do next week! Seriously, if you would relate to her how happy I am she's doing so great, I'd really appreciate it.

trulyaries
02-05-2008, 11:10 PM
That woman is something else. I'm usually still drooling and drugged on Day 1. She's throwing down quite a challenge to me for my surgery next week - I'm going to have to try and out-do her! :eek:

Susie*Bee
02-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Yep, she's amazing! I know after a long day of surgery, I was hooked up to all kinds of contraptions and bags and was pretty much a zombie while in ICU for 24 hours... and it didn't get much better for awhile. I don't know how she does what she does! I'm so glad to hear she's doing so well!!! I had emailed her something about her dancing down the hall as she's discharged from the hospital--but at this rate she'll be dancing sooner than that!

Anyone hear how Sam's surgery went?

trulyaries--you'll do fine. Don't feel you have to measure up to Wonder Woman!

samsmom
02-06-2008, 08:50 AM
YAY! It is all over. Sam is doing really well! No problems or complications and I think a really good correction. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. They worked! I'll post details in a few days!
Love to all,
Michele

trulyaries
02-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Hurray for Sam!

One thing I worry about with Pam, which I expressed to her, is that I hope she's able to contain that energy for awhile so she doesn't jeopardize her fusion. I speak from experience - in my desire to get going I have sometimes overdone it and my doctors had to rein me in. I know there's a few of you out there who have had the same experience. But she will probably still put us all to shame. :p

skoshi314
02-06-2008, 09:45 AM
I'm so happy to hear Sam's surgery went well and she's doing good! You all will be in my thoughts and prayers. Be sure to keep us all updated!

mariaf
02-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Michelle,

That's GREAT news about Sam! You must be so relieved!

crepehanger
02-06-2008, 08:32 PM
I am so glad to hear those two are doing so well!!!! I bet Pam has those nurses all straightened out and organized. Best wishes to our February folks, and I am excited to hear how you are progressing and your corrections. Love ya !!!

txmarinemom
02-07-2008, 12:31 AM
Hey all ... just checkin' in. Making progress, I suppose ...

(oh, and I don't know if it has been mentioned, but Hanson took in T4 also ... and my original pain is GONE - yay!)

Spent about 1-1/2 hours in PACU yesterday, came to a private room ... woke up *starving*. Ate like 3 broths, 3 Italian ices, TONS of water. Around 11:00, I was *starving * again, so the nurse finally brought me some cheese and crackers.

Had my first 2 PT's today: Walked 70 feet this morning, and sat up for an hour. Afrter that session, we noticed the IV in my right hand (for Dilaudid, Vanco, fluids) was leaking under the skin.

No big deal (I thought) ... had a back up hep-lock in the other hand: Unfortunately, it proved leaky as well.

The nurses on the floor refused to give me a buffered lidocaine shot before running another IV for Dilaudid, so I refused an IV. Managing on oral meds blows (what part of "I don't care if I'm asleep when I'm due for the pain meds - wake me UP" do some of these nurses not understand????).

Later this afternoon I walked 300 feet and sat for 45 minutes.

Had a pretty sh**ty day trying to manage pain orally, but we're staggering Percodan, Norco and Valium now - and I'm making it.

I would've killed for a hot water bag or heating pad earler (for muscular pain), but all they'll give you is some tepid plastic mat (that is basically useless). Courtney had a super idea a bit ago when she and Ben brought me my laptop.

She took rubber gloves (there's a box in here), doubled two together (put on her hand - then put another over it before carefully removing) and filled with extra warm water (think chicken shaped, warm water balloons). OMG, they feel soooooooooooo good on my ribcage!

Anyway ... that's the latest. Just thought Id say hi to everyone, and thanks for all the well wishes. I cannot WAIT to get home!

Catheter and drain are supposed to come out tomorrow - and I HOPE I'll be home by Friday. I definitely didn't plan to be off IV meds this soon, but one more obstacle out of the way ...

I'll update soon ...

How did other surgeries go? Norco's kicking in ... so I'll have to check back tomorrow :).

Regards,
Pam

txmarinemom
02-07-2008, 12:35 AM
Ah, just read about Sam ... fantastic!

And, no worries feliciafeliciafelicia, they say I'm not overdoing it ... just unusual. (like I've never heard THAT before ... :).

Regards,
Pam

mariaf
02-07-2008, 06:16 AM
Hey Pam,

I knew as soon as Courtney told me she was bringing you the laptop that we'd soon be seeing you post again. It's good to have you back! You've been missed - and while a few of us posted updates on you, I'm sure we weren't nearly as entertaining :)

Hang in there - you're doing GREAT!

The Slice
02-07-2008, 06:37 AM
Pam, you're incredible!!!!! So far as the leaking IV's go, it sounds like they both blew (infiltrated). You probably won't notice it now because of all of the pain meds, but later, if you have pain at the two sites, hot packs should help with the discomfort, although the swelling will probably be down quite a bit by the time your pain meds are cut back significantly. You are such an inspiration. With that said, don't sweat the roller coaster of emotions as it's a normal part of the whole thing. Glad to see you getting right back into things.

txmarinemom
02-07-2008, 07:58 AM
... So far as the leaking IV's go, it sounds like they both blew (infiltrated).
Ya think??

With that said, don't sweat the roller coaster of emotions as it's a normal part of the whole thing.
I realize you're just trying to help, but where did I say - or even infer - I'm experiencing a "roller coaster of emotions"?

Susie*Bee
02-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Pam--so good to see the feisty "you" back on board here. :D

You certainly do put most of us to shame with how well you are doing, but that is so great!

Sorry about the IV probs, but it sounds like you're dealing with it really well. Keep us posted on what your daily activities entail, so we can stand amazed... chins hitting the floor, mouths agape, and so on. I really don't know how you do it, but am glad you do. I'm sure it has to be an inspiration for so many of the "still to go" or "undecideds" out there. Take care-- and looking forward to your next post already... :D

(Slice, I hope you've developed pretty thick skin and the ability to learn... you are well-intentioned, I know. You'd better tread lightly when you post to Pam, and re-read everything to see how it can be taken the wrong way... or else be prepared for a blast from her.) ;)

LorDon
02-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Pam,

Glad to see that you're back! I knew it wouldn't be long until we heard from you again. Happy to see that you're still spunky as ever. Why in the world would the nurses refuse to give you a lidocaine shot? That sure must have boiled your blood! :mad:

All the best to you. Sending some healing vibes your way and well wishes for a smooth recovery.

Michele,
So happy to hear that things went well with Sam. Welcome to the "other side". Continued well wishes for a speedy recovery. Please keep us updated on her progress!

Hugs,

Geish
02-07-2008, 09:43 AM
Wow Pam...I can't believe you are actually posting! You amaze me. Glad to hear the surgery went well, but oral pain meds suck. I really liked that button! Actually I didn't push it all that much but when I did it seemed to pump forever and then...bliss! And you are eating! All I wanted for close to 3 days was ice and juice. When will you start organizing races around the nurses station? Really, you are an inspiration to us all, even to those of us that thought we did really well in the hospital. Keep pushing, just don't push too hard. Keep us posted.

Alicia

txmarinemom
02-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Well, the pain is back under control ...

Hanson stopped by to check on me this morning, found out my pain control was sh** without the IV (apparently his jerk of a PA didn't discuss this with him yesterday) and arranged to have someone come up from Anesthesiology to give a shot of buffered lidocaine and place a new IV.

In the interim, I got an intramuscular shot of Dilaudid a bit ago in my shoulder. Much better.

Aside from going back on some type of PCA pain med, my potassium's a little low (IV is certainly preferable to these K-Dur horse pills), and since my blood counts are also down a bit he's going to give me my unit of blood.

I feel fine, but I agree, if the IV's in place, why not use it to bring everything up to snuff?

PT should be here soon ... more updates later!

Pam

Sharshe
02-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Glad to hear things are going well now :)

crepehanger
02-07-2008, 01:12 PM
My gosh, Pam, I was a drooling, teeth gnashing fool in the hospital! I appreciate that we did not have to wait until you got home to hear how you made it. Keep up the good work, honey!!!

How are the other surgical scolies doing today??????

CHRIS WBS
02-07-2008, 01:57 PM
All I can say is "I want what she has."

crepehanger
02-07-2008, 02:01 PM
My internet server dropped me in the dirt a few days ago and had to upgrade the tower by my house. Even though I have jumped in at other locations to check my email and checked the forum, I am sure I have missed some stuff. I did notice we're missing a brand new member (I met the night before I went in for my hysterectomy, but sent her the website so she could join us) She did not know how to edit her signature to reflect her surgical date and scoli info, nor how to post, so she just read as much as she could. She had surgery yesterday (Feb 6, 2008) in Plano at Baylor and had both anterior and posterior done , and doing well in ICU. You all will like her too, and I will help to show her the ropes of navigating the forum site after she gets home from rehab. Her forum name is Kwiltnangel, , she's 56, her name is Eve, and she lives in East Texas. Best wishes to all of you!

Neesasmum
02-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Hi everyone,

Just to let you know that Annessa's fusion today went really well. She is in ICU and was able to move her toes and feet no problem.

She is very drowsy at the moment, and they are getting on top of her pain medication.

Thanks to everyone on the forum who helped us get through this part.

Great to read Pam's posts again!

Will keep you posted!

Anne

Susie*Bee
02-07-2008, 04:37 PM
That's wonderful news! I know you've been through quite a day--such an emotional roller coaster (!) but now you can breathe again and get ready for the recovery. It was good pm-ing you today. Annessa is so lucky to have such a loving mother to support and encourage her through the recovery. Blessings to you and Annessa as you begin that next part of the adventure... You'll both do great! :D

csc
02-07-2008, 06:00 PM
My surgery was completed on the 29th- all went well! So glad it's over and now the healing can begin. I was in ICU the first two days and went home on Sunday. My nurses were good about giving me my meds. whether I was asleep or awake. I must have really been out of it at times because the one young male nurse got my attention by saying, "Mom,mom" in an urgent voice. It worked!
So okay February surgeries it's YOUR :o turn.

Sharshe
02-07-2008, 07:43 PM
csc,
No matter what you're ALWAYS a mom, no matter how out of it ;)

kdawn
02-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Pam-I can't believer how good you are doing! :o I can only hope to do half as good as you next week. Keep me posted on your progress and good luck to you when you get home!Have you seen xrays of your new back?

trulyaries
02-07-2008, 08:45 PM
I thought you would at least spend ONE day mumbling, drooling and laying about like the rest of us do when we have surgery. But NOOOOOOOOOO .... you're directing the entire hospital floor with one hand and posting on your laptop with the other! :eek: Well, dear, glad to hear you're doing so well but I won't even try to compete. You won't hear from me until I'm home again and in my own bed. But if they put me on that loopy-loopy valium again, I just MIGHT be as funny as you! ;)
Feliciafeliciafelicia

txmarinemom
02-08-2008, 01:48 AM
I thought you would at least spend ONE day mumbling, drooling and laying about like the rest of us do when we have surgery. But NOOOOOOOOOO ...

FFF, I mumble *every* day, and try to avoid drooling at all costs only because it clashes with my skin tone ;-).

Rest assured, I AM lying around ... a LOT!

KDawn, I haven't seen my xrays - and I'm not even sure what exists of post-op. I'll grab a CD of any that do before I leave the hospital for sure!

Also, Hanson took a ton of still pictures, and will be putting together a PowerPoint presentation for me ... I'll toss it up on the web and post a link as soon as I get it ;-).

Michele/Sam and Anne/Annessa, I am SO happy to hear our young ladies came through everything so well.

And, CSC, congrats to you too. Too funny about the wake up call of "Mom!" ...

It seems we had more on the calendar for the month than listed, but it also sounds like everyone has done fantastically. Can't wait to see that continue!

Regards to all,
Pam

Susie*Bee
02-08-2008, 08:42 AM
csc--yep, once a mom, always a mom--we always have that ability to hear that urgent call for us "through the fog" of sleep/drugs... So glad to "hear" from you again and know you are progressing. Keep up the good (hard) work. :)

Pam--sure am looking forward to seeing your power point--it may be a slow show for me with my darned dial up! :eek: But I'll watch it somehow. That's amazing Dr. Hanson arranged for pics like that. Wow! He's some doctor! :cool: And I'm glad to hear you are "lying around a lot." So many of us really did try fairly hard to be tough, but failed miserably. You definitely are an inspiration--and then some, but it's good to see you're also needing to rest and recover after this huge surgery. Thanks for sharing that human side of your recovery, oh Wonder Woman! And let us know when you're dancing and directing the hospital crew--although it sounds like maybe you already are... You're a delight to hear from! ;)

kdawn and trulyaries-- I'm really looking forward to those good reports we'll hear from you in just a little bit. Do you have someone that can let us know the good news before you're able to post it yourselves? I know you'll both do GREAT! :)

This Feb. post has really been a good place to visit! Everyone--thanks for all those great posts!

samsmom
02-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Hi Pam,

Good to hear all went well. Sam had a very rough couple of days, but is now on a nice cocktail of Dilaudin, Reglan, Zofram and Tylenol with a valium chaser. That seems to be doing the trick.

I thought it was the kids who do better on the scoliosis surgeries, but you are proving that theory wrong. It is not age it is attitude.

Sam is hopefully going to sit in a char today for the first time. And Pam, did I hear that you were running the marathon?? :)

This is a good point for all readers. Every surgery is differnt and every person is different, but all manage to get a little bit better each day.

Best,
Michele

PS I will give a detailed history of our surgical experience when we get home and not too cross eyed from lack of sleep!

trulyaries
02-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks, Susie*Bee. I'll think about who I might be able to get to post for me. Or ... I have Pam's phone number. Perhaps I'll call her if I'm up to it and have her give you a hilarious rundown of my surgery! :)

LorDon
02-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Anne,
Welcome to the "other side"! So happy to hear that things went well for Annessa. Please keep us updated on her progress.

Continued well wishes for a smooth, uneventful recovery! :)

Hugs,

Suzy
02-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Of COURSE Pam is posting right after surgery! You people expected less? LOL! I thought I was the scoliosis poster child (Per my Dr.) I will gladly hand the title to you Pam, you are blowing my recovery out of the park! (Softball humor!) I was surprised you hadn't seen your x-rays yet. I pictured you looking over the tech's shoulder as he processed them! Let us know as soon as you can what your new numbers are. I just know the results a going to be great.

To all those recovering, I am so glad to hear all is going well. As I told a friend recently (recovering from her scoli surgery.) there may be bumps in the road ahead but it will all seem like such small issues as you recover and look back on all you have accomplished. Best wishes to you all! Suzy

kdawn
02-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Susie Bee- thanks for the thoughts. I'll see if my husband can post,but he doesn't do the internet thing to well. I'll post as soon as I'm home. trulyaries- good luck to you and I hope everything turns out well. Pam- hope everything is still going good. You are an inspiration. Good luck to all february surgerys ;)

trulyaries
02-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Backatcha, kdawn - good luck to you. It will be a good day for both of us! :)

Neesasmum
02-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Hi all

Annessa had a rough night, last night, she needed a blood transfusion and kept being sick and in pain and I just stood there, helplessly, holding the sick bowl - it was a long night! Today she managed to sit up and she looks so much taller! She is still in a bit of pain and the morphine is causing the sickness and itchiness too. Michelle gave me some good advice on that. Annessa is still managing a smile for the nurses and reserving a growl for me when I am too slow to bring her a drink of water but that is fine - what are mums for!

So many thanks to SusieBee for her brilliant PM's - they really helped me all the way through as did Michelle and Sam who are just a few steps ahead of us "over the water" and it is so good to be able to keep in touch. And to Lori for her advice and support too. This is such a fantastic forum full of wonderful and caring people and you have given me so much support through this, it has just made it all so much easier than it would have been, I'm sure.

Great to hear that Pam is doing well and hasn't lost her sense of humour (such a valuable thing) and loads of good luck and best wishes to kdawn and trulyaries for their upcoming surgeries!

I'm off for a shower and back up to the hospital, will keep you posted.
Anne

trulyaries
02-09-2008, 09:42 AM
My heart goes out to both of you - Annessa for having a bad reaction to the meds (I hate it so much I will do everything possible to avoid throwing up!) and to you because I know how hard it is for the caregiver to watch a loved one in pain and feel so helpless. I hope today is a much better day for both of you!
Thanks for your good wishes and for thinking of us "next-ups" in the midst of your own journey. :)

Susie*Bee
02-09-2008, 10:02 AM
trulyaries said it so well. I'm so sorry about the lousy night you both had. :( This too will pass, and things will get better. Hopefully you'll be able to take some catnaps when Annessa is sleeping. You need to keep your strength up for doing all that "mom" stuff! Thinking of you and sending you both hugs.

LorDon
02-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Hi Anne,
Awww, so sorry that Annessa had such a rough night. It's heartwrenching as a parent to sit and watch your child suffer. The good news is that it will get better each day. Those first few days are really rough.

Chris had the exact same reaction to the Morphine. While it is great to control their pain, the side effects can be nasty. They gave him Reglan and Zofram to control the nausea and then he had a really bad reaction to the Reglan. Eventually, they switched him to Dilaudid which made a world of difference. Maybe you can inquire about having them switch her over to that or something else. There's no sense in having her be so miserable.

Hang in there. Brighter days are coming - I promise!! You're a great mom!

Big hugs to you and a gentle hug to Annessa!

kdawn and trulyaries- all the best to you in your upcoming surgeries! I look forward to hearing from you from the "other side'"!!

MATJESNIC
02-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Anne,

We all feel for you and can relate to what you are going through. There are no magic words here, just one Mom to another offering some compassion. My daughter is turning 14 next month and we just went through this. I do understand. Everything will be okay. It will be great, actually. You just have to get through the first couple of crappy weeks and then things will really pick up. But before you get to that, you will see real progress from day to day and you will know that you will get through this. We are all in this together. That is how we can all survive this.

Please keep us posted.

kdawn
02-09-2008, 07:59 PM
nessasmun- I agree with lordon, maybe you could see if the nurses could give her something different for pain. There is no reason she should put up with being nauseated and itching. There are to many other pain meds out there. Hopefully everything will get better. Hang in there :p

Sherie
02-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Hello Anne

I hope things are better today. They should be switching to oral meds soon anyways? We did our best to advocate for our daughter, but sometimes you just don't know the right thing to do. No manual could possibly cover all the individual reactions people have to this surgery. For my daughter, it was extreme pain at the drain site that caused most of her distress.

It is very hard the week in the hospital and a little scary when you get home and trying to manage alone, but it is all downhill from here. Sheena's doing so well at almost 3 months postop, as hard as it is now, there's a light at the end. My best wishes to you and Annessa.

Susie*Bee
02-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Let us know if Annessa is still having it so rough, or if it's settled down a little. What a trying time for you! Hang in there--it will get better, slowly but surely...

samsmom
02-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Just a note to let everyone know Samantha got released from the hospital today. Boy does it feel good to be home and have her safe in her own bed! The ride and the stairs were a piece of cake i am happy to report, but it did take awile for her to find a comfortable position in bed. Might run out and get "The Wedge" pillow.

Thanks to all for your good wishes.

- Michele

LorDon
02-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Hi Michele,
Welcome home! There's no place like it!! Glad to hear that Sam is home safely and that you're finally on the other side of this surgery! It's all downhill from here. Let the healing begin!! :)

Continued best wishes for a smooth recovery!

Hugs,

Suzy
02-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Hi Michele, Glad all is well with Sam. I had a wedge pillow and it was WAY too firm. Quite a few people had posted about them after someone had asked about getting one for post op. Most had better luck with a few regular pillows stacked up. I would hate for you to go buy one and find Sam didn't like it. Tell Sam to keep up the good work! Best wishes, Suzy

sccrm08
02-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Michele,

I'm so glad Sam is home, it will just get better for her from here. When I came home from the hospital we asked here about the wedge pillow and most if not all did not recomend it. My husband went out and bought it any ways and i'm glad he did. I still use it when I need to sit in bed if I want to read, or anything else. Best of luck with the recovery, I hope it continues to go well.

samsmom
02-11-2008, 07:30 PM
They only had one at the store. If I had two for her it would have been better.
My husband actually put it between the mattress and the box spring and it is comfortable for sleeping for her. Still haven't found a chair that she is happy sitting up to eat in.

She is like Goldilocks..."This ones's too soft"... "This one's too hard"... Still haven't found the seat that is just right for her. Anyone with any suggestions??

Thanks,
Michele

vndy
02-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Michele,

I sat on my couch with one pillow underneath me and one (or 2) pillow behind me. I used a small folding TV try to eat off of. I know other people have had success in recliner chairs. I second what others have said - if you have lots of bed pillows, you can probably arrange them in such a fashion as to make her comfortable.

Good luck to both of you :)

Sherie
02-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Michele

Glad to hear your home and everything is well. That's a rough ride in the hospital...
Sheena, like Vndy, was most comfortable on the couch with pillows behind and under her and a tv tray. It was probably 4 weeks before she could sit at the table to eat with us.

We bought her a memory foam mattress too, hers is soft and you sink into it. She loves it and has never complained of discomfort since we bought it for her.

take care

Neesasmum
02-12-2008, 04:44 AM
Hi Everyone

Thank you all so much for asking about Annessa and all your great advice re the meds. I asked for her to come off the morphine and they are giving her different oral meds, and I just left her at the hospital to come home for a shower and she sent me a text to say she had been sick again! However, she has been walking quite a bit and also texted me to say she has just done the stairs (I wanted to be there to see that!). She is waiting for me to go back and then she will have her first shower (boy does she need it, these bed baths are hopeless!). She also managed to tick the last box for getting home when her intenstines decided to wake up this morning (yahoo!). If all goes well it look as if she will be coming home tomorrow, which will be brilliant, I'm just a little apprehensive about it though!

She is taller than me now and has gained 2 inches - now I'm the smallest in the family! Can't believe we are now on the other side of the surgery - it just would have been so much harder without you guys and knowing that you were all there rooting for us every step of the way made such a big difference!

Speak to you soon
Love
Anne

MATJESNIC
02-12-2008, 05:30 AM
Moms,

You are doing so well with your daughters. You have gone through the worst of it. I wish them all of the best as they recover. It should only get better from here.

Neesasmum
02-13-2008, 08:40 AM
Annessa came home this morning and got all emotional and cried when she saw her house! She has been managing the stairs really well and has eaten a proper lunch for the first in a week. The National Health Service have just made a delivery of everything they think we will need - hand grabber, raised toilet seat and frame and a bath seat so she can have a shower.

She got to see her back for the first time today when I held a mirror behind her and she got all emotional again and said that she looked "normal" now and had proper shaped hips. She could hardly get over how straight her back looks. I actually think she is in a bit of shock and that is why she is so emotional as she hadn't been like that in hospital!

So nice to have her home again and get some kind of semblance into our lives. The community nurse is coming in tomorrow to check her wound. Our next appointment for the consultant's clinic is in 3 weeks and we will find out when she can go back to school then.

What a week it's been - I feel like I have aged 10 years but never mind, we are home and she is fine!
Take care all.
Anne

Sharshe
02-13-2008, 10:52 AM
I am so very happy for both of you.

Geish
02-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Nice to hear Annessa is home. I understand that whole rollercoaster of emotions, especially when you see your back for the first time. At almost 9 weeks post op I am still amazed whenever I look in a mirror. Welcome to the other side! It just keeps getting better.
Alicia

MATJESNIC
02-13-2008, 11:12 AM
So happy to hear that Anessa is home. Good luck to all of you.

Susie*Bee
02-13-2008, 11:23 AM
Anne and Annessa: "There's no place like home... there's no place like home..." :)

I am so glad to hear you're home and doing so well. You're through the hardest part now. I'm thinking of you!

Neesasmum
02-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Anne and Annessa: "There's no place like home... there's no place like home..." :)

I am so glad to hear you're home and doing so well. You're through the hardest part now. I'm thinking of you!

:) Loving it Susie*Bee!
Thanks to all you great guys!
Anne

LorDon
02-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Hi Anne,
Glad to hear that Annessa is home. Sending healing vibes and warm wishes for a speedy and uneventful recovery.

Hugs to you both,

Sherie
02-13-2008, 11:03 PM
Bless her heart, I think I felt like crying too when we got home. I was never so happy in my life to be home after that hospital stay.

Hope everything is going well. Try to get some rest.

trulyaries
02-14-2008, 09:14 PM
I just thought I would let all of you know that I am back home tonight. Everything went as expected, and my niece says I'm at day 1 home the way I was at about day 10 home the last surgery. I had a few bad cough spasms tonight for some reason, and you all know what that feels like post surgery! :( I will post more tomorrow but I'm fading fast right now and think I had better get some sleep.

Thanks to ALL OF YOU for your good healing thoughts and kind comments over the last few months. :)

Geish
02-14-2008, 09:34 PM
Welcome home! So happy to hear you are doing better this time around.

skoshi314
02-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Welcome home! We're certainly glad to have you back where you belong!

Neesasmum
02-15-2008, 04:04 AM
Welcome home trulyaries! Sending lots of healing vibes your way!
Anne

geo
02-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Trulyaries, it will be so good to hear from you more once you are up to it. This is the hard part, coming out of the fog. The fatigue DOES eventually go away, but it takes awhile! Glad you are home.

mariaf
02-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Welcome home Trulyaries. Hoping your recovery is a smooth one this time!

trulyaries
02-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Okay, I'm a little more wide awake today. Last night, for the first time in ALL of my surgeries, I slept right through my PDA alarm which wakes me to take my meds! I haven't noticed any effects yet from missing that dose. I must have been VERY tired or the drugs are REALLY good. I'm on Vistaril (?), Valium, Tylenol, a stool softener, and some meds I was on before, including Gabapentin. The valium isn't making me quite so loopy yet, so I'm not amusing as I thought I would be.

As far as the surgery, Doc ended up doing what he said he would do: Discectomy at L5-S1 with BMP reinforcement of the fusion, and a plate attached to L5-S1. So far, I'm standing up straight - woo-hoo!

I must tell you a story about my niece (I just love her so much). We had a total laugh attack in the pre-surgical room. My surgery was delayed because they had an emergency surgery in my OR so we had a lot of time to sit around and talk. She was telling me all the things I did with my previous surgeries that I did but don't remember. It's quite amazing and a bit frightening that so many things are gone from my memory. Well, I recently did all my estate planning and named her as my executor and patient advocate. So I accused her: YOU ARE TRYING TO MAKE ME CRAZY SO YOU CAN DECLARE ME INCOMPETENT AND TAKE ALL MY MONEY! We laughed so hard I think the hospital staff thought we WERE crazy. We also play the game of keeping track of how many times people come in and ask me the same questions: "5" - "check" then laugh. Another funny thing: the surgical nurse came in blabbering that in the OR we would be a family and we would all bond with each other! So I looked at my niece and said, "... And then we'll all sing Kumbaya!" Nobody laughed but us. :D Yeah, they thought were crazy, but you can't say I was nervous before my surgery!

And for Pam's little survey, I was out cold from the pre-anesthetic before I left the pre-op room. Drugs have an easy time with me. Post-op I did have some nausea, sleeplessness, and one neighbor who kept her TV on all night but slept hard, snoring and snorting with sleep apnea. :eek:

My biggest gripe - I think I should re-design hospital rooms - was this: Every time someone came in - doctors, nurses, assistants, food service - they would move something out of my reach, whether the TV, the call button, the bed tray, or something on the tray. They run out so fast I wouldn't remember to have them put everything back. I told the assistants I could save like 50% of their calls if the room was designed properly. If I had known that would happen, I would have taken one of my grabbers with me!

Seriously, as I said, I have a lot invested in this surgery and I'm determined to do everything by the book so I can feel secure that I didn't do anything to jeopardize the fusion. Please keep your fingers crossed and your prayers said that this one does the trick. I don't think I can go through this anymore.

Thought for the day for all of you: Healing takes courage and we all have courage, even if we have to dig to find it.

Susie*Bee
02-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Trulyaries--it was so good to get a long, newsy update from you! And good to see your sense of humor is still intact!!! :D You and your niece must be quite a duo...

Keep up the good work-- which really means taking good care of yourself. And it sounds like that is definitely what your plan is. I myself undoubtedly err on the cautious side of the pendulum, but would rather do that than something that would jeopardize the fusion too. Although I have a feeling that if something goes wrong with me, it will regardless. You've already done enough of that, so this time it should be "good to go"... all you need to do is heal and take it easy for awhile... ok, and build up your strength, and so on and so on...

And "yes"-- I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you--and have you in my prayers. Take care! :)

trulyaries
02-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks Susie. And belated thanks to all of you for those lovely "welcome back" notes. You are all great! :)