confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confused

Hi Everyone my surgeon on friday said that, this op is not going to get rid of the pain i get in my hip, and lower and top of back......
    He said it is purely just to strighten my spine and stop it getting worse does this mean i will still have the pain i have now after the op???
    i was hoping i would nearly be pain free not exactly as I am now.

Thanks
    Angela
    Angela, 25 England.
    75 curve top of spine, and getting worse slowly.
    Surgery on 21st May 2008. T3-L4
    Op went well 20ish degree curve now.
    May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

Angela,

Doctors don't like to promise pain relief. My surgeon told me there was a 75-80% chance that my pain level would improve, and in fact, it's MUCH better even just 2 months post-op. While pain relief is definitely a possibility, no one can predict your outcome. My guess is your doctor is just especially conservative!!!

Good luck!
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

I echo what Vndy said. My surgeon told me the same thing. However, that does not mean that you won't get pain relief. I have different pain now as I recover, but certain pinching pain that I had in my lower back before surgery is now gone because of the surgery. Everyone gets different results, but it seems like many (if not most) people get some pain relief.

Best,
      Anya
      "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
      Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
      19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Ditto from me as to what Anya and vndy said... If you read any of the books on scoliosis surgery, they also say it is not a promise to deliver you from back pain. It's a fact that many people suffer from chronic back pain who do not have scoliosis-- and I know I read that it's possible some of the pain we experience may have another source. (But I think most of ours is from the scoliosis!) Even if it's all from the scoliosis, the surgery may not necessarily take care of the pain. And you will probably have some pain for at least awhile from the surgery itself.

Have you read any of the books on scoliosis/scoliosis surgery? They are very informative and helpful in understanding about our condition and the surgery. The two I purchased and read (several times, especially the 1st one) are Scoliosis Surgery: the Definitive Patient's Reference by David K. Wolpert and The Scoliosis Sourcebook by Michael Neuwirth, M.D., and Kevin Osborn. The Wolpert book is quite often talked about on the forum--it's a super great help!

Best wishes in your search to understand more! I found it helped me feel more at ease so much in going into this surgery because I felt informed on what was happening and what to expect as an outcome. Take care!
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
        X