Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We need a "post surgical goals" forum :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We need a "post surgical goals" forum :)

I made the first of mine last night: the World AIDS Day walk is March 9th, 2008, and I WILL participate - even if I only make it 100 ft!

An aside, I've remembered people posting they felt like their pain increased as surgery loomed closer - and saw it as confirmation it was the right choice. Maybe it's nerves, maybe it's psychosomatic, maybe it's real ... but I'm experiencing it also - and I simply *cannot* sleep through the night.

We were out until 3:15 last night, I crawled in my exceedingly comfy bed at 3:20, and was out like a light.

At 5:50, back pain woke me up - and I've got breakfast scheduled with my friend who's accepted my Medical Power of Atty for Tuesday.

Coulda used a BIT more shut eye ... sunglasses and a ball cap are definitely in order .

Oh, and yes, Maria ... I'd be grateful if you handled updates here during and after surgery since Courtney has your phone numbers. Hopefully you won't be burdened with that task for long!

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

I will be glad to post updates, Pam, although I'm sure my posts won't be nearly as entertaining as yours

Big Hugs for Tuesday,
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom

An aside, I've remembered people posting they felt like their pain increased as surgery loomed closer - and saw it as confirmation it was the right choice. Maybe it's nerves, maybe it's psychosomatic, maybe it's real ... but I'm experiencing it also - and I simply *cannot* sleep through the night.
      Hi Pam,
      My daughter's pain has definitely increased these past few weeks as surgery approaches. She has been so uncomfortable! Are the massages helping at all. I was going to take her for one tomorrow? Misery loves company! I will let her know that you are having the same thing going on. I am sure she will take comfort in knowing that she is not alone...
      - Michele
      Samsmom
      Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
      42 Degree Lumbar Curve
      Fused T-4 to L-2
      Yale New Haven
      2/5/08

Comment

goals...

Mine's a dumb one, but important for me... My goal is to be able to squat down so I can do my library work (re-shelving books on low shelves) when I go back to school/work next August. To those of you who can squat, it must seem so-o-o-o dumb, but when you can't, it seems almost impossible. I've always bent over before...
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I guess I have a couple of goals...
          1st~ Get back to my former level of singing or better, my breath control really sucks right now. The back muscles can't handle the level of support required without causing pain.

2nd~ Regain enough fluidity of movement so that I can return to coaching wrestling full time. It was hard to not be there for my team all season this year, but I had to think of myself first for a change. The surgery was the right thing to do this winter.

3rd~Sell my house and move to Lahaina, Maui! I would love to be there next summer. Now I just have to convince my daughter that finishing high school in Hawaii would be awesome!

Susie*Bee...there are no dumb goals, just goals that may only be important to us. I am able to squat but would love to be able to touch my toes! Then again, I couldn't touch them before the surgery so it's probably not going to happen.
          Geish
          47 years old, dx at 13
          +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
          Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
          http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
          http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Goals...

1) YOGA - I can't wait to get back to it. Maybe even get certified to teach in the future...

2) I would love to do a cycling race - I just got a road bike last summer, and would love to start racing.

3) I want my energy back so I can finish my masters degree... just one thesis and one class away (unfortunately my thesis doesn't seem to be writing itself in my absence...)
            Last edited by vndy; 02-04-2008, 06:52 PM.
            2000 34*L/39*T
            2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
            (initially planned T4-L1)
            12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Boring...

Geish--Isn't that funny?!!! I could always touch my toes! Haven't tried since the surgery, of course. At my last appt. I was only released to bend "slightly" from the hip... and not from the lower two lumbars. I keep wondering IF/WHEN about things like that.

I guess my goal sounds so trite to me because it's definitely not exciting! Sheesh... who cares about squatting! Some other "not exciting" goals I have are: to lose about 20+ lbs. and continue doing my PT exercises so I am really fit. And write a few books. I aso have about 30 years worth of pictures I should put into scrapbooks rather than boxes. Or at least get daughter #2's wedding and daughter #3's graduation albums done. They were both in 2004. I'm just afraid that this year will zip by so quickly and I'll think I wasted the only chance I've got for doing things like that!

vndy--what's your masters in?
              Last edited by Susie*Bee; 02-04-2008, 06:33 PM. Reason: add question...

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Susie - It's in Child and Family Policy. It's a joint degree in Child Development and "Urban and Environmental Policy and Planning." Of that mouthful of a department, I'm really interested in Urban Policy! More specifically, I'm really interested in public policy for young children, particularly early childhood education. That was probably more information than you were asking for!!
                2000 34*L/39*T
                2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
                (initially planned T4-L1)
                12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

vndy--I need more info, since I haven't run up against that one... is this in the realm of counseling, social work, education, or what? What kind of job are you wanting from it? I have a son-in-law who just got his masters in Marriage and Family Therapy--but that's obviously in counseling... I hope you get the endurance/strength/whatever to work on it! You are so-o-o-o-o close!

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Hey, Geish-
                    I CAN touch my toes-----when I squat!
                    Becky, 46 years old
                    Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
                    Ignored until 448/07
                    Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                    Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
                    Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
                    Fused T-10 to L-5
                    14 titanium pedicle screws
                    Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
                    Email

Comment

Not only can I touch my toes when I bend but I can lay the palms of my hands flat on the ground. And I can still do backward rollovers. Every surgeon I’ve seen was amazed at my flexibility. The thought of losing all that makes me sick.

Comment

Chris... what a hoot!

You've got me chuckling, picturing you looking like a pretty professional business person, doing backward rollovers! I love it!

Unfortunately, there are some things we lose, but others that we gain, through this surgery. I guess you have to weigh the alternatives--which I know you've done, and decide "in general" what is the best for you in the long run. Take care!

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Good point, Susie. I would sooooooo love to have a waistline again even if it means losing my flexibility. I always had a good figure despite my scoliosis, but now I’m looking more and more like the Pillsbury Doughboy. Just the thought of having all those big screws drilled into my spine though is giving me the heebie-jeebies. I don’t even have a surgery date yet, and I’m having one sleepless night after another.

Chris

Comment

setting the date...

Chris--from my own experience, once you "set the date" you get a sense of rest/finality-- that part is over with--the part where you are having the internal struggles whether or not to do this, and if so- "when," etc. Once you set the date and are resigned to that, you can move on... to your new goal--GETTING READY! And, from one believer to another, it feels more like you have indeed put it in the Lord's hands at that point. Of course, none of that decreases totally the anxiety you may and/or will still have about the surgery and recovery, but it does help to get over that one hurdle that's in front of you now. Jump over it, and you're farther through that tunnel and know the light is closer than it was, etc. Take care!

PS--I can't feel the screws... they just look "wicked" in the x-rays...

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Working...
                            X