new to scoliosis. question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to scoliosis. question

i am a 32 year old female. just found out i have a 28 degree curve in my upper thoracic area and it is to the left.i have had a whole host of symptoms the last year annd now i am finally going to a nuerosurgen. my symptoms have been heart,short of breath and nuerologic . my question is how bad is 28 degrees? and can it cause heart,lung and nuerologic symptoms? my mom told me that ive had a small curve since i was a kid but we were military and they said there was no use in trying to fix it. and now i have all these problems. thanks for any help or input.

Hi,

A 28 degree curve is considered mild-moderate. I think if you are having the symptoms you described, and for a year now, seeing a neuroSURGEON will be a good idea. The spinal cord and related nerves can cause some of the problems you describe. Make sure you ask lots of questions. I hope they can give you good answers. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Tammy,
      If your insurance will pay for it, you also might want to get a second opinion from an orthopedic doctor. Also the reason that the military told your folks that there was nothing that could be done is because the military "doesn't do" scoliosis. Your folks would have had to ask to see a civilian doc.
      A "retired" military wife....
      SandyC
      SandyC

Comment

Working...
      X