Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• update on VBS surgery

Hi everyone,

I just thought I should post in case anyone was following Michela's VBS journey. Michela had her VBS surgery on 12/19/07. She had a 26* left sided curve. Michela was stapled T8 to L1. 5 staples total. Yesterday was her 6 week check up and now she measures 2*!! Her surgeon said she could return to all activities without exception. Her back looks beautiful! Her right shoulder blade is slightly higher then the left. Her Dr said this will even out over the next few months, that the bones, ligaments, and muscles need time to adjust to the spines new position. We are very happy. She will continue to be monitored at Shriners Hopital in Philadelphia. Michela's next appointment is early May 2008.

I think it is important for us to share our experiences, good and bad, so that we can all see what different treatment options yield over time.

Stephanie
    Last edited by stephanieC; 02-01-2008, 11:44 AM.
    Mom to Michela ~age 12 ~VBS @ age 9 - 12/19/07 26* to 1*
    10/8/08 ~ curve is immeasurable!!
    07/16/09 ~ a few degrees overcorrected... being monitored
    12/28/09 ~ 14* overcorrected to the right
    2/23/10 ~ 12* overcorrected
    3/12/10 ~ Boston Brace at night to prevent further overcorrection. In brace corrects to -8*

Congratulations on a successful surgery! It's always good to hear another child came through surgery ok.

Best wishes,
    Renee

Comment

Hi Stephanie,
      Thanks for sharing your story about Michela. I'm so glad to hear that her surgery was successful. Continued best wishes to you both!
      Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
      Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
      Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

That is SO awesome to hear, Stephanie!!
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Hey Pam,

Good to hear from you. I know your surgery date is here. I will be thinking of you on Monday, praying it is a smooth ride. Keep us posted when you can, either here or on the stapling site. I know you will do great!!

Hugs to you!!!
          Stephanie
          Mom to Michela ~age 12 ~VBS @ age 9 - 12/19/07 26* to 1*
          10/8/08 ~ curve is immeasurable!!
          07/16/09 ~ a few degrees overcorrected... being monitored
          12/28/09 ~ 14* overcorrected to the right
          2/23/10 ~ 12* overcorrected
          3/12/10 ~ Boston Brace at night to prevent further overcorrection. In brace corrects to -8*

Comment

Stephanie,

That's great news!!! I hope everything continues to go really well. Hopefully now you can take a break from thinking about scoliosis for a while. Try to just enjoy life!!!

(I will try to follow that advise, as well.)
            Melissa
            From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
            Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Originally posted by stephanieC
              Hey Pam,

Good to hear from you. I know your surgery date is here. I will be thinking of you on Monday, praying it is a smooth ride. Keep us posted when you can, either here or on the stapling site. I know you will do great!!

Hugs to you!!!
              Stephanie
              Stephanie,

Just so you know, I will be updating everyone on VBS about Pam's surgery (and I'm sure amazing recovery!).

I don't know if she has designated anyone on here to give updates (Pam?) but I would certainly be gald to update here as well unless someone else is going to.

I know she's gonna do GREAT.....and hopefully will not be away from the forums too long - 'cause it sure won't be the same without her
              mariaf305@yahoo.com
              Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
              Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Awwww ...

Thanks for the well wishes, y'all .

I swear, time is ticking by SO quickly now ... still so much to do! Vndy gave me some sagacious advice ... "Really - what ever doesn't get done will NOT end the world. I promise. Go take a hot bath or something." - LOL.

That said (I, honestly, I believe it ... but ...), I'm SO focused on being able to take care of myself when I come home!

I did get a bunch done this morning:

- Had 2 tires replaced - and all 4 rotated - on my car.

- Washed my car, and wiped down the leather inside before I park it for a while. At least the first post-op trip will be in a clean vehicle, and I hardly think I'll be up to vacuuming/wiping down surfaces when I AM driving again!!

- Got all the paperwork completed to make an early Monday morning, dual purpose trip downtown to the Tax Ofiice ... my vehicle registration will be out shortly, and fortunately, the same office is where I get my handicap placard.

- Got my state vehicle inspection (okay ... it was ~already~ out. Um, sorta *way* out. It takes no more than 20 minutes, but it kept getting pushed down the list as a low priority item.)

- Went to the hardware store ...

... had 10 more keys cut (my bottom lock and upper deadbolt keys look EXACTLY the same - but are NOT interchangeable. Picked up 10 identical turqoise key tags so friends can easily ID the key on their ring).

... Got a detachable showerhead and plumbing tape. I'll install later today.

... Bought a suctioned bath mat.

- Went to Big Lots for one of those "sit-up-in-bed-pillows-with-arms". They were sold out, but I walked out with $50 of crap anyway. I'm never one to let *necessity* dictate my purchasing urge .

Actually, I got some things I needed:

- trash bags (I realized yesterday I have one left), paper plates, plastic cups (already have bendy straws). Yes, I know I could send someone to get these things, but I HATE heaping more on those who are willing to help.

- one of those Magic Eraser mops (this is SO sick, but I can't wait to try it out!)

I still haven't replaced all the light bulbs, but I've *thought* about it.

My friend Courtney kicked my a** all day Thursday ("Get busy!!! Get moving!!! Do something!!! Go return that 8' ladder to the *outside* of the house!! ... ). While annoying on a slightly sporadic basis, she and her huband, Ben, have been HUGE cheerleaders - and haven't ditched my situationally bi-polar a** for the ups and downs.

Funny how you truly understand the emotional depth of those around you when things get tough, scary ... and with some, even a more lightly color of rose. If I didn't think I'd offend a few for language, I'd call ~those~ people what they are ... that "P" word.

Picked up suctioned cupped wire baskets (3) to hold necessary stuff in the shower. Also, suctioned cupped hooks.

... Oh. And received a letter from my insurance company, PHCS, today.

The idiots have preliminarily approved THREE days in hospital post op, and are digging their heels in on BMP. Hanson told me early on not to worry about things, so I'm not.

It just always irks me that some payrolled R.N. - following company policy (which, of course, is to save the insurance company MONEY) - can second guess my doctor.

Thus ends the rambling for today ... I think. About to nap, shower, and hit the clubs later!

While I'm glad Court and Ben are coming into town tonight - and staying here - my Mom and brother will ALSO converge Monday night. Tomorrow night is my last night TRULY alone for a while - and in privacy. Did anyone else become (rationally or not) irritated at demands on their time pre-op?

Peace, all .
                Pam
                Last edited by txmarinemom; 02-02-2008, 03:23 PM.
                Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

That's enough work!

Pam, you've got 'er covered. Now prioritize some "down" time, for goodness' sake! And I can empathize about "lone time"-- I enjoy solitude when I can get it (which is a lot these days!) ... even when it's with people you love and care about, some of us like some time without anyone around. Enjoy your last bit of that. And rest assure, it will come again. Thinking of you. Hugs!
                  71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                  2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                  5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                  Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                  CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                  10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom
                    It just always irks me that some payrolled R.N. - following company policy (which, of course, is to save the insurance company MONEY) - can second guess my doctor.
                    Ain't that the truth! My old OB/GYN (a very compassionate doctor) actually retired early because he couldn't put up with that BS.

My, you have been a busy bee.....and yes, Vndy is absolutely correct - whatever does not get done will not end the world......I promise
                    mariaf305@yahoo.com
                    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Pam,

I'm EXHAUSTED just reading about what you did. Now please RELAX and enjoy time with your family pre-op. Allow them to pamper you a bit.

I'm sure you'll do great and soon enough you'll be back to your old self (privacy and all)

Hugs ~ A
                      Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
                      Diagnosed 8/2005 ~ 26 Degree Curve
                      Progressed to 42 Degrees by Dec 05
                      Milwakee Brace 1/16/06 - 6/26/06
                      Vertebral Stapling on 6/26/06 @ Shriners in Philadelphia
                      26 Degree Post Op Curve
                      Last X-Rays December 07 ~ 26 Degree Curve
                      Email: domingo_amandapompa@msn.com
                      YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6GmX3K7FIs

Comment