surgery date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery date

I have finally got a date, Feb. 11. I now feel like I could throw up i'm so nervous and scared. Part of me thinks this is the right thing to do and part of me feels like its not. Is this normal? I can't stop thinking of the what ifs. What if something goes wrong and I end up paralyzed or with a horrible infection. Any words of wisdom?

Post your date on the calendar before you hurl ;-). I'm set for 6 days prior to you, and yes, the rollercoaster emotions are absolutely normal!

Try not to focus on negative what-if's ... they have NO place (easier said than done, I know) in the prep process.

Best wishes on your surgery and recovery.

Regards,
    Pam
    Last edited by txmarinemom; 01-29-2008, 07:41 PM.
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

I'm glad to know that is normal. Good luck to you too and I hope everything goes well for you. Keep me posted.

Comment

kdawn--everyone goes through that. It's a scary and yet exciting time, so you have all the ups and downs tha run the gamut of your emotions... and running various scenarios kind of goes with the territory for some of us with overactive imaginations. Pam's right though, so try not to do it. Concentrate on the positives and all the things you want to do before the surgery date. Have some fun and do what all you can to get ready. Best wishes for a successful surgery and quick recovery! And be sure to post it on the calendar!
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I've started to hit the rollercoaster and get to have some added fun. Insurance is now playing games. I was given th ok and now I'm getting a "invite some playmates ( more Dr.s) in for their opinion. Maybe its for the better, it keeps me distracted . But I'm running outta time and they're not playing by the rules they set up
          But on a good note...I get to have my mommy inlaw in after 1st operation, then my mommy(with my daddy coming in for the last stretch). Boy do I feel special
          2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
          surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
          Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
          5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
          5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
          6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
          (left open with just clear dressing)
          6/6/08 recleaned and closed
          3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

sharshe-When is your date? I haven't heard anything from my insurance yet, hope they don't require another opinion because I've seen so many doctors I don't think i could see another right now. I have a really good support system but I'm really independent and don't know how I'm gonna do with having to let everyone do everything for me, we'll see. I've got loungewear but is there anything else I need? Any ideas on how to shave your legs after?

Comment

kdawn,
              I'm scheduled for Feb 18 and 22. Its just adding another level of stress that I don't need but will deal with. We will all get through this.
              Pam you're in the home stretch! good luck
              2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
              surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
              Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
              5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
              5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
              6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
              (left open with just clear dressing)
              6/6/08 recleaned and closed
              3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Originally posted by kdawn
                I have a really good support system but I'm really independent and don't know how I'm gonna do with having to let everyone do everything for me, we'll see. I've got loungewear but is there anything else I need? Any ideas on how to shave your legs after?
                Kdawn: You and I are having surgery on the same day. This will be my 4th surgery, so I'm not so nervous about it because I know what to expect. It's natural for you to be apprehensive, but, as everyone says, try not to focus on the negatives and try to have some fun before you go in. As far as what to take to the hospital, I don't take much because quite frankly the last thing I'm concerned about is how I look! You can search on this forum for lots of info about that as well as an entire thread on how to shave your legs. Me? I don't care - I let it grow until I can reach it and just make sure my legs are covered when someone comes to visit!

As far as independence and having other people do things for you, I think it comes with the territory that everyone on this forum feels the same way. I almost choke on the words to ask someone for help, but heading into my 4th surgery I have learned to accept it. if it makes you feel better, make a note to do something special for your caregivers later on when you have recuperated sufficiently. And sincere thank you notes are always appreciated.
                FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Working...
                X