SpineCor for Adults

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpineCor for Adults

OK so I have an question I can't find on any websites. I am aware that adults can be fitted with the SpineCor brace. However, I already have had surgery and I have pretty much my whole back fused. So my question is, can adults (well I'm 19) have SpineCor even though they have fusion? I want it to cut down on back pain, and maybe help reduce my hump.. even maybe straighten me out some more. Has anyone heard of anyone having SpineCor with fusion already?
    Let me know please
    Thanks

I know a couple of adults that used the Spinecor for pain successfully, but they were not fused and didn't get any correction.
    I don't know about use in a fused adult.

Contact Dr.Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal and ask them. They are the developers of the brace.

CANADA

MONTREAL
    HOSPITAL AND ORTHOPAEDIC SURGEONS
    Hôpital Sainte-Justine
    3175, Chemin Côte Sainte-Catherine, Suite B-922
    Montreal, Quebec, H3T 1C5
    Phone: (514) 345-4839
    Fax: (514) 345-4723

e-mail: charles-hilaire.rivard@recherche-ste-justine.qc.ca

e-mail: christine.coillard@recherche-ste-justine.qc.ca
    God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Thank! I just e-mailed both of them, so I'll let you know what I get back that way if someone else asks you will know what to tell them!

Comment

Dear Miss Brush,

Your message was forwarded to me by Dr. Coillard because she is a paediatric doctor and relies on me to take care of adults.

I am very happy for you that you heard about the SpineCor Dynamic Brace. What I have seen over the last two years of fitting braces on adults with scoliosis is very impressive, at least as far pain relief is concerned. I have used a SpineCor Dynamic Brace on a patient who had undergone surgery in the past with very interesting results and will be willing to help you if you wish to have one for yourself.

As you have said that your main objective is pain relief , I think there emight be some hope for you. I do not want to get your hopes up too high as far as the correction of the alignment of your spine while in brace is concerned as it has probably been surgically fused on most of its length. However we do want to help keep the deviations in your posture from causing too much strain on your spine and nervous system with time as the brace will act as a dynamic support against gravity without causing deconditioning of the musculature.

I will be available to answer your questions if you wish to call me. I do brace fittings on Wednesdays, morning or afternoon, and will need approximately 3-4 hours in total.

Yours sincerely,

Dre Louise Marcotte

Chiropraticienne B.Sc., D.C.

2823 Boulevard Rosemont

Montréal, H1Y 1L6

Comment

Sorry to rain on your parade, but adult bracing (especially Spinecor - AND already fused) is a waste of time and money.

Proceed as you will ... but I'd advise you speak to an SRS doctor (not Colliard and Rivard - or their rep) before you waste *your* time and money.

(BTW, bracing in adults most often leads to core weakening. Pain relief is minuscule in comparison.)

Pam
          Last edited by txmarinemom; 01-28-2008, 11:17 PM.
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Bracing with Spinecor is successful in reducing pain for some adults.

The article in MacLeans magazine this week called "Amazing brace" is written by a mother of two boys with scoliosis. One son's pain was so bad that he was on heavy medications for the pain and wanted to have the surgery but found the Spinecor brace, wore it and it totally eliminated all his pain. This son lives in California. He is in his twenties.

It is certainly worth a try.

Ruth
            Last edited by rtremb; 01-29-2008, 01:12 AM. Reason: TO add more detail.............
            Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

W

Jackieoabby, I have to agree wholeheartedly with Txmarinemom. I too don't want to burst your bubble but the surgery aside, you are presumably well past any growth in height. Understand that the idea of bracing is NOT to correct the curve, but hopefully slow, or stop it's progression. The idea is not to eliminate the curve, but try to avoid the need for the surgery. I have no idea how the Spinecore brace will help with any pain you are experiencing, but it, or any other brace will not change what you already have once you have stopped growing. What you may want to consider is whether a revision surgery would be of any benefit. This is NOT a decision to take lightly or make in haste. Go for at least a second opinion if not more. Different doctors have different techniques and often times with it, different experiences to draw from. If you still have a noticeable rib hump, it may be that the amount of correction that was possible was limited. Froim what I understand, that happens. There's nothing to blame yourself for. What I've gleaned from reading many other stories is that two of the things that affect the level of correction with surgery are the severity of the curve at the time of surgery, and the flexibility of the spine. I've read some stories of girls for example, who were heavily into either dancing, or gymnastics who had excellent results. These both tend to be activities where there tends to be a lot of flexibility especially in the spine. There are of course other factors. I hop you are successfull in finding relief for the pain.

Comment

Originally posted by rtremb
                Bracing with Spinecor is successful in adults.
                Ruth, please provide proof (at the VERY least, anecdoctal evidence).

Who TOLD you this, BTW? It's SO wrong.

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

I have added some more detail to my previous post to try to be more clear. It won't work for everyone but it certainly is helping some people.

Please try to read the article in MacLean's magazine, Amazing Brace, if it is available where you live. I started a thread on it under Bracing.
                  Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Hi Jackieoabby
                    Another doctor to comtact would be Dr Deutchman. He's been working with a lot of adult patients and having some success - see below.

A retrospective study of twenty-three adults treated for scoliosis using the Spinecor Orthosis
                    Gary Deutchman , Marc Lamantia, Joseph Indelacato and Marianna Raykhman

The Scoliosis Care Foundation, 1085 Park Ave, Suite 1E, New York, NY 10128, USA

author email corresponding author email

from 4th International Conference on Conservative Management of Spinal Deformities
                    Boston, MA, USA. 13–16 May 2007

Scoliosis 2007, 2(Suppl 1):S23doi:10.1186/1748-7161-2-S1-S23

The electronic version of this abstract is the complete one and can be found online at: http://www.scoliosisjournal.com/content/2/S1/S23

Published: 12 October 2007

© 2007 Deutchman et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd.

Objective
                    To determine if non-surgical treatment using the Spinecor brace can effectively reduce adult scoliosis curvature magnitude.

Study design
                    Twenty-three adults between the ages eighteen and sixty-five years, seeking treatment for adolescent onset idiopathic scoliosis (AIS) were fitted with the Spinecor Orthosis [1] after being exposed to an anterior-posterior (AP) full spine and lateral full spine radiograph, with a minimum of three months between exposures and a maximum of one year. Measurements of the radiographs were performed using a digital inclinometer in order to reduce error and all projections were exposed without the orthosis.

Results
                    Patients were separated into three groups based on curvature location: Thoracic (T), Thoracolumbar (TL) and Lumbar (L). T-tests were performed using the initial and follow-up Cobb measurements of AP radiographs for each of the three groups. The maximum (T) reduced from 94 degrees to 77 degrees (-12.2%) following a minimum of three months of treatment. The maximum (TL) measurement reduced from 31 degrees to 23 degrees (-13.4%), and the (L) minimum reduced from 17 degrees to 11.1 degrees (-15.3%). The patients in the "Thoracic" group (n = 20) had a mean average change of -5.27 degrees. The "Thoracolumbar" group (n = 3) had a mean average change of -6.0 degrees. The Lumbar group (n = 15) had a mean average change of -4.40 degrees.

Conclusion
                    These findings suggest the use of a flexible strapping orthosis (Spinecor) is an effective tool in the management of adult scoliosis. Long term studies are necessary to determine the sustainability of these early positive results.

References
                    Coillard C, Leroux MA, Badeaux J, Rivard CH: SPINECOR: a new therapeutic approach for idiopathic scoliosis.

Stud Health Technol Inform 2002, 88:215-217. PubMed Abstract |

Return to text
                    Mom to Haley, 13.5 yrs old
                    Diagnosed at 6 yrs old - 18T.
                    Boston Brace at 9.5 yrs old - 34T/18L
                    Switched to SpineCor at 10 yrs old
                    Stable at ~22T OBX until 12.5 yrs old
                    Adolescent growth spurt was brutal - scheduled for surgery Dec 7th.

Comment

Exactly

"Conclusion

These findings suggest the use of a flexible strapping orthosis (Spinecor) is an effective tool in the management of adult scoliosis. Long term studies are necessary to determine the sustainability of these early positive results."

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                      EMAIL ME

Comment

txmarinemom,

So what would you suggest for the pain? I already have my whole back fused, so I can't really see how another surgery would help? My back just feels very uncomfortable and sore. I thought the spinecor could maybe help..

Comment

Perhaps you should go back to your orthopedic surgeon to determine why you are still in so much pain.
                          Melissa
                          From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                          Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Originally posted by jackieoabby
                            txmarinemom,

So what would you suggest for the pain? I already have my whole back fused, so I can't really see how another surgery would help? My back just feels very uncomfortable and sore. I thought the spinecor could maybe help..
                            jackieoabby,

I have to agree with Melissa ... have you been back to see your ortho? Just because he IS a surgeon doesn't mean that's all he'll recommend. Have you spent any time with a pain mgmt doctor?

Regards,
                            Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                            EMAIL ME

Comment

No I don't even have a ortho doctor right now. My surgeon was pediatric so I'm out of the age now, but I'm going to try and find one. But i have a feeling he will say there is nothing he can do. But thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X