Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MacLeans Magazine Article - Amazing Brace

Hi Everyone:

My daughter, Esme, is in MacLeans magazine this week (Feb. 7th, 2008 issue with a polar bear on the front). The article is about how important early diagnosis is and the Spinecor brace. We met the writer of the article in Montreal at Dr. Rivard's office - she was there with her son.

Ruth
    Last edited by rtremb; 01-28-2008, 09:31 PM.
    Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

That's very exciting for you and Esme!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Congratulations! I will be reading the article as soon as our Macleans magazine comes!
      Hi there!
      My name is Emily
      I am from Canada
      I wear a Boston Brace
      My curves are 27* and 32*
      I love to be outside, play sports and dance
      "The best way out is always through
      "

Comment

My mom just read that article two days ago! She called me and told me about it right away (I'm in college). And now I'm thinking about getting one, even though I've already had surgery and everthing!

Comment

The MacLeans article on Spinecor is on the internet now.

There are photos of Esme in the brace in the magazine but not on the internet. The article is attached or can be read at the following link:

http://www.macleans.ca/science/healt...23_55198_55198

Ruth
          Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

thanks for giving us the link Ruth, great article!

Comment

Thanks, Ruth!

Yes, that was very interesting! I just wished the pictures had been there too. I think I'll pass the article on to our school nurse. Unfortunately, the Indiana legislature just opted out of of the required school screenings that had been in effect for years...
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

An interesting article, but why on EARTH would they quote Isabella Rossellini?

Her "stern reply" of "Don't ever let him get the surgery" is irresponsible (at best) when by my calculations she's almost 56, and had surgery at 13!

Can you say Harrington, body cast, and 1967/1968? Oh, and Wiki states she had bone grafts taken from her SHINS. Eek!

I'd like to THINK techniques have progressed since then ... jeez.

Pam
                Last edited by txmarinemom; 01-30-2008, 07:45 AM.
                Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

Thank you for sharing the article Ruth, very interesting!

Renee

Comment

Thanks for sharing the article, Ruth. I hope your daughter will be one of the lucky ones. It is true about Dr. Rivard. He is a compassionate surgery who wants to help children avoid surgery. When he told Nicole the Spinecor was not working for her anymore and that she needed surgery, I will never forget the look on his face. He was extremely upset about it.

With that being said, Spinecor will not prevent surgery for everyone, including the children whose curves are found small and early. Dr. Rivard told me that there are some types of curves that are destined to be progressive and aggressive and even if found early, will grow to surgery level.

Some people have no choice but to choose surgery. Of course, I also said, "We can't get surgery. It is the worst possible option." But sometimes there is no other option. Hopefully the future life of Nicole and all the other kids who have had surgery recently will not be full of pain and more surgeries as the article suggested.

Believe me, nobody wanted that Spinecor to work more than we did. We even made a DVD of Nicole dancing ballet and tap in her Spinecor for them to use at workshops. I said I would have kissed those doctors on the lips and kissed the ground they walked on. Read all of my old posts. I was absolutely elated about Spinecor. For those people who it is helping, God bless them. They are the lucky ones. Nicole wasn't so lucky.
                    Melissa
                    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

I agree the Spinecor won't work for everyone but what is really disappointing about the Ontario medical system is the lack of scoliosis screening, lack of information about the options and the tendency to just watch and wait for too long. I hope the article brings about the changes needed in Ontario to bring back scoliosis screening and provide more information to parents like ourselves who were not given adequate access to information which might have been helpful.

We go back to Montreal on Feb. 11th for Esme's next check-up and are anxious again what will be found!!

It must have been so hard for you to go ahead with the surgery for Nicole but I agree it is the only choice if the curves continue to progress.

Ruth

Comment

Hi Ruth

We have an appt in Montreal on Feb 11 too, ours is at 9:20 am.
                        from CT, USA
                        6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
                        8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
                        10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
                        10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
                        10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
                        4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
                        8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
                        2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
                        3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

Christine:

Our appointment is at 1:00 p.m. We arrange them in the afternoon so we can drive there and back home on the same day. Maybe we will see you though.

Starting to feel nervous about the appointment - we have had such awful news about progression in the past. I have to admit though Esme's back looks pretty good on the photos after rolfing (structural integration). We have a series of photos going back a few months now and each time her back looks better and her posture is improved on the photos. What this means in terms of Cobb angle we don't know yet. Fingers & toes crossed!!

Ruth

Comment

Interesting article, Ruth. Thanks for posting!

and Good Luck Ruth and Christine at your daughters' Feb 11 appointments! Let us know how they go!

Jill
                            daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
                            -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                            -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                            -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Hi Ruth

We have to make a weekend of it so we are staying in Lake placid on Sat and Sun. We are very excited about the mini vacation, I think we got the last hotel room availible in all of upstate. There is the winter carnival going on that weekend. We make our appts early so we can drive straight home after as not to miss too much school. I am also nervous but my daughters back looks great to the eye!!! She is so good about wearing it that I have to fight with her to take it off to wash it or shower!!

We will most likely miss you but GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
                              from CT, USA
                              6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
                              8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
                              10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
                              10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
                              10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
                              4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
                              8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
                              2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
                              3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment