Ahhhh ... almost down to a week!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahhhh ... almost down to a week!

Okay, so the cleaning/organizing and "list making"/"list crossing through" continues ...

Tasks completed yesterday:

- Finally got all my curtains hung! (hey ... give me a break ... I *just* moved Labor Day 2007)

- Hung most of my pictures ... should finish today

- Unloaded some more crap on craigslist

- Cleaned my closet some more and made a pile of stuff to craigslist/eBay/freecycle ... (damnit - this crossed off one "to-do", and created another)

- Picked up my K-Dur rx (for some reason, my potassium came back low on the pre-op blood work)

- Stocked up on mindless, trashy fiction! (My friend Courtney borrowed about 50 books for me from a family friend who runs one of those permanent garage sale places)

- Repotted a few plants, gave 'em all a good soak, finally finished hanging 5 terracotta wall planters that have been taunting me (unhung, in a box) for years

- Cussed out a few people who have tried to make demands on my time - and tried to impart guilt over my absence - during this prep process (I liken this pressure to that of when my son's on leave ... "If they want to see you, they can come to YOU!")

- Cussed out at least one more who tried to tell me "You're sleeping a lot. You need Lexapro."

- Spent considerable time under my desk ... tie-wrapping cords, mounting a co-ax splitter from the cable connection behind my bed so I can have a TV in my room after surgery (this concept still disturbs me greatly ...)

- Executed my Medical Power of Atty/DNR

- Spent an hour on the phone - with a few airlines - making sure my 20 year old Marine son received proper retroactive frequent flyer credit (no ... this was NOT on the list)

- Thought about doing my taxes. Really.

Today's tasks?

- Cook. (I'm so freakin' tired of this as a daily "to-do". Enough with the cooking ... there are some pretty damn good TV dinners out there I hear, and I'm feeling the itch for a culinary adventure ...)

- Hope it finally stops raining so I can paint the few remaining things on my list (furniture, pic frames, a few small shelves). This is only important to me because I have NO space to hide the crap, and "looking at piles of unfinished things" is not on my recovery to-do list ...

- Give the dog a bath. Sounds simple enough, but it takes at least 3 full sized adults to keep him from ricocheting off the bathroom walls like a canine basketball. This entails a hose, and leashing the dog to a tree in the back yard (he's fine with a bath outside) ...

- Finish changing all the light bulbs in my house (11' ceilings, a few are already out, and everyone knows they all go at once. My luck? They'll all go out - every single one - 2 minutes after the person who brings me home from the hospital departs ...)

- Return the 8' ladder to the OUTSIDE of the house (another unexpected addition to the "to-do"'s ... drats)

- Review the recalcitrant tasks I can only do on a weekday, and only remember on a weekEND (i.e., the handicapped placard ...)

- Think about doing my taxes. Really.
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

I'm almost as busy as you, with almost as many mindless tasks, but I enjoy taking a break to read your posts. I'm having my upstairs toilet replaced tomorrow, and it's one of those "comfort height" toilets for us "old people." Bet that wasn't on your list!
    FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
    10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
    8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
    5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
    2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
    3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Pam, you're actually starting to scare me. Your brain is really going to appreciate the nice long rest it's going to get .... (might be a while before you can make any sense of those trashy novels....you might want to stock up on trashy magazines instead....I did a lot of staring at the pictures in People Magazine for months....) !!
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Wow, you have Dr. Boachie?? Me too! :]] He's a truly amazing man.
        braceyourself.

Comment

Pam,
          Darn girl - I'm feeling rather lazy after reading what you've accomplished this weekend.....you're making me look bad
          Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
          Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
          Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Originally posted by Singer
            Pam, you're actually starting to scare me. Your brain is really going to appreciate the nice long rest it's going to get .... (might be a while before you can make any sense of those trashy novels....you might want to stock up on trashy magazines instead....I did a lot of staring at the pictures in People Magazine for months....) !!
            Singer, I actually joked with my friend (the one bringing 50 trashy novels) I could probably manage with one because I'd forget I'd already read it - LOL.

And, Lori? Weekends lose all significance when you aren't working ... most days I have to check my cell phone for the day and date. ;-|
            Last edited by txmarinemom; 01-27-2008, 08:56 PM.
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

Can I have one tenth of your energy???
              T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
              2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
              3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
              Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Pam, do you hire out?

I need a personal motivation coach!!!! Damn, girl, you rock! You are going to do so very well after your surgery... But, I do almost feel sorry for your nurses that try to make you do something you don't want to do post-op.... hehehe.......
                Lisa age 47
                T curve 69 degrees
                L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
                fused to from T-3 to sacrum
                anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
                pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Working...
                X