Deep tissue massage pre-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep tissue massage pre-op

Any tried this (in conjunction with active stretching) prior to surgery to help loosen things up? It stands to reason the less tight your muscles are going in, the less muscular pain you'd feel post-op ...

(Hah! ... I've almost checked off everything on "the mother of all lists", so I'm now developing personal theories to stave off boredom. I'm just ready to get this OVER with! ;-)

I plan to schedule an hour with my guy every day next week - and probably the Monday before surgery, as well. If it works, it's money well spent, if not, at least I find it relaxing ... there's not a scenario I can imagine where it could be detrimental.

And what's the consensus on massage post-op? Obviously not until after the incision heals, and I'd guess probably not until the fusion takes ... and *definitely* someone experienced in massage for fused spines. Anything else?

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Oh dear, you really are bored, Pam! LOL I am by no means an expert on massage, other than enjoying the heck out of them when I have them. And I have no reason for my opinion other than gut feeling: DAILY deep tissue massage might be a bit much - maybe every other day would be better. I'm thinking for the same reason that weight training is best done only every other day, to give the muscles a chance to rest. I had deep massages after my second surgery but not since the last one. It felt good, but the therapist had to follow my lead because some (unexpected) areas on my body were extremely sore to the touch. My biggest gripe with massages is that the effects last only a day or so, and my budget couldn't possibly allow every other day massages for the long term.
    FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
    10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
    8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
    5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
    2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
    3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Hell, yeah, I'm bored, Felicia - lol!

FELICIA
      FELICIA
      FELICIA

(and feeling purdy spunky today ... watch out, peeps ;-)
      Last edited by txmarinemom; 01-27-2008, 12:10 PM.
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom
        Hell, yeah, I'm bored, Felicia - lol!

FELICIA
        FELICIA
        FELICIA

(and feeling purdy spunky today ... watch out, peeps ;-)
        What do you mean TODAY?? You're spunky EVERY day! You sure have livened up this forum - I always look forward to seeing what mischief you are up to. I do hope you can settle down enough when you have your surgery. You'll need to turn down the energy amps for at least a little while.
        FELICIAFELICIAFELICIA
        FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
        10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
        8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
        5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
        2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
        3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Massage post-op

Hello!!

In response to your question about massage post op, it took me quite a while to be able to enjoy a massage, since your nerves take a while to reconnect along your incision. Also your skin will be very sensitive for a while aftewards and quite bruised (at least mine was). I think about a year or so after my surgery I started going for massages and was finally able to enjoy them. I never really got many massages pre-op, but once you have a bunch of "hardware" in your back it takes a bit of getting used to being massaged. At least for me! But now when I can, I absolutely LOVE getting relaxation massages, with medium pressure.

I think getting massages every day up to your surgery is a great idea, and a nice way to treat yourself & relax before your surgery.

All the best with your surgery! Here's to your new body!
          lisanicolegrace
          29/F/Canada
          Surgery - 11/10/2000
          80° curve to 19° post op.
          www.lisanicolegrace.com
          @lisanicolegrace
          facebook
          x-rays
          picture of my back

Comment

Working...
          X