College Students??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Students??

I was just wanting to see how many others on here are in college... I am a junior in my undergraduate and am having surgery this coming June 30th. Is there anyone out there that has had a similar experience where you go back to school in the fall? I will only be 7 weeks post op at that point, and am planning on being a full time (barely, 13 hours) student so that I can continue on my course to graduate on time. I don't think I will have any long 5 hour labs like I do now, but am I going to be miserable sitting through classes? I don't really think that I even have the option of being part-time because I will be dropped from my medical insurance, which would be the last thing I need... anyone else out there with this dillemma/ experience? How did you manage to deal with school and healing at the same time? Did you do physical therepy at school too? Thanks for any responses...

Abbie
    aBbiE
    22 yr old F,KU college student
    Kyphoscoliosis...
    Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
    Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
    I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
    Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
    all smiles!

Is it possible to have your surgery done earlier? I'm also a junior in undergrad but I'm a bit older than you. I'm planning on having my surgery a week or so after finals are over in May. My doctor said yesterday that 3 months is usually a good estimate as to when a person is able to go back to school or work. He said he had 1 guy that went back to work at 6 weeks, but he said that was rare, but since you are younger, that would be more likely. That's good that you won't have labs. I'll have 2 4 hour labs in the fall. I hope you are able to go back!
    Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
    2003- 33 degrees
    2005- 37 degrees
    2006- 44 degrees
    May 2007- 47 degrees
    December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
    Fused T1 to L2
    Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

I am a graduate student and returned after 3 months. I would see if you could have your surgery any earlier. If not, please make sure all your professors know about your situation and will make necessary adjustments to help you. I didn't do physical therapy until a few months afterwards and then did pool therapy.

Best,
      Anya
      "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
      Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
      19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Grad student

I'm a grad student. I had my first class since surgery last night (and my last class of grad school!), which is a 2.5 hour, once a week class. I'm about 7 weeks out, and it was REALLY hard to sit for that long, even though I brought a pillow. I ended up taking a pain killer half way through. The other thing to consider is you won't be allowed to lift more than 10lbs. I had to ask a friend to meet me a my car to carry my bag for me. I'm also back at work part time, and have not yet been cleared for PT (hopefully at my 2month appointment). You will tire easily...

My advice would be that while it is POSSIBLE to return at 6 weeks, it will be hard. You will be TIRED. I still dont have the energy to think about/work on my thesis. Will you be able to space out your classes so you can rest in between? Good luck.
        2000 34*L/39*T
        2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
        (initially planned T4-L1)
        12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Hi,

Back in 1994 I had surgery in June and went back to university full-time in mid September. Actually, I went back to uni for a couple of weeks in late August too, as I had to do my end of year exams which I had missed due to having the surgery. I didn't have any problems

Toni xx

Comment

Thanks for the replys

My original surgery date was scheduled for June 20th, while only about a week and a half earlier, it would have been better. Unfortunately my surgeon found out that he had a conference in Paris of all places that he needed to attend during that time so the only other date they had available was the 30th. The course timetable for the university for the fall will not be posted until april or so, so I'm not sure if I will be able to space out my classes or not. I will have a physics lab that is 3 hours once a week on top of my classes, but none of the 5 hour o-chem labs that i have been in for a year and a half now. All I can count on is that recovery is going to go well and hopefully my professors can help accomodate me. Thanks for the advice, and any more suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.
            aBbiE
            22 yr old F,KU college student
            Kyphoscoliosis...
            Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
            Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
            I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
            Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
            all smiles!

Comment

Don't we have some smart members? I am so proud of all of you in college!
              Lisa age 47
              T curve 69 degrees
              L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
              fused to from T-3 to sacrum
              anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
              pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Abbie,
                I sent you a PM

Comment

Working...
                X