Second Opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Opinion?

Today I had an appointment with my surgeon about my MRI. He said my MRI looked normal for someone with scoliosis, so that was good. He also gave me the opportunity to ask questions about surgery. He answered all of them completely and honestly and was very kind. If you have read any of my previous posts, you know that I really like my doctor. He is by far the nicest and most caring doctor I have ever had. Today just confirmed in my mind (and my mom's) that I want him to do my surgery. My husband still wants me to get a second opinion just to see what someone else says. I don't really want to because I feel like it will just make me confused again. What if the second doctor says I don't need surgery? What do I do then?

What would you do?

Thanks!

Shell
    Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
    2003- 33 degrees
    2005- 37 degrees
    2006- 44 degrees
    May 2007- 47 degrees
    December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
    Fused T1 to L2
    Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Do it anyways....

Shell,

I had a similar experience - The first doc I saw I knew was the best and the best for me. I still went for a second opinion. This 2nd doctor was AWFUL. He tried to get me to say that I WANTED surgery for cosmetic reasons (keep in mind no one could tell I was crooked with clothes on!). He told me scoliosis didn't cause pain (infuriating!). He was disrespectful and rude, and lectured my mother and I for over an hour. He told me that if he did the surgery, he wouldn't be held responsible for an outcome I wasn't happy with, like pain, or any of the risks we hear about. It was an AWFUL experience.

Even though it seemed like he was telling me not to have surgery, he said that he would do the surgery, and any qualified surgeon I saw would do the surgery.

As terrible as the experience was, he confirmed that I needed surgery, that any good doctor would agree, AND that I was picking the right surgeon.

What ever you choose, be as confident as you can in your decision, and do whatever you can to boost that confidence. Good luck.
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Wow, Shell, your xray is really making you look really unbalanced. I think unbalanced curves are much more likely to progress than balanced ones.

I do think it's a good idea to get a second opinion. If the second surgeon says you don't need surgery, that would be a good thing. No? Scoliosis surgery can be a really huge event that could change your life (either in a good or bad way). Taking a few extra steps to be certain you're doing the right thing seems like an intelligent thing to do.

Good luck!

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thank you both for your replies. I decided to just go and get the second opinion. I guess I really want to have the surgery done because I'm really tired of being in so much pain. I know it may not help the pain, but it will stop the progression which will increase my pain. Thanks again!
        Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
        2003- 33 degrees
        2005- 37 degrees
        2006- 44 degrees
        May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
        Fused T1 to L2

Comment

briarrose,
          I've been on the fence about the second opinion, too. I think I've finally resolved in my own mind that I will have the surgery and I'm afraid getting a second opinion will just muddy the water. I grew up hearing that you should ALWAYS get a second opinion before having surgery and I guess a lifetime of conditioning is hard to shake. I know I trust my doc and I've done the research and truly feel he is right for me, so I probably won't opt for a second. That being said, I'm 45 and compared to you being 20 years younger than I, I think I'd get the second as well. My 'window of opportunity' is not a big as yours.

Best of luck in your decision! I'll keep think good, happy thoughts for you!
          Becky, 46 years old
          Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
          Ignored until 448/07
          Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
          Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
          Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
          Fused T-10 to L-5
          14 titanium pedicle screws
          Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
          Email

Comment

Shell, I don't think a second opinion would hurt. I am in the same boat that Becky was in, I did not get a second opinion. My age factored in too, as did the pain, which almost drove me crazy. We all flipped back and forth, as we made our decisions, talking ourselves in and out of it, and letting others scare us silly. But, YOU will know which was to go. Trust yourself, sweetie. Best wishes..
            Lisa age 47
            T curve 69 degrees
            L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
            fused to from T-3 to sacrum
            anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
            pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Lisa is so right-TRUST YOURSELF! Hmmmmm, maybe I should follow that advice myself!
              Becky, 46 years old
              Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
              Ignored until 448/07
              Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
              Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
              Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
              Fused T-10 to L-5
              14 titanium pedicle screws
              Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
              Email

Comment

I'll chime in and say that I, too, think you should go for that second opinion! I had to go out of state for mine, and it was to a doctor that's been doing this for decades so I think I was scared that he would say surgery wasn't necessary, while in my mind I'd convinced myself it was. But, he advised surgery, and I found exactly the right doctor for me, and a hospital that did everything right.

Looking at your x-ray, it's hard to believe a surgeon would tell you surgery isn't necessary, atleast at some point in your life. You should get another opinion to ease your husband's mind, and in turn, you will hopefully get confirmation that you are on the right track.
                31 year old female
                55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
                T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
                Xray, 3 mos. post-op
                Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Thank you skoshi, crepehanger and geo for your responses. You are all right. A second opinion is a wise thing to do even if I end up hearing what I don't want to hear. I made the appointment today for March 11. I guess until then, I'll just plan on having surgery in May. It's nice to know that other people are thinking the same things I am. I worry so much and I know I shouldn't.

Again, thank you all. You've helped put my mind at ease!
                  Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                  2003- 33 degrees
                  2005- 37 degrees
                  2006- 44 degrees
                  May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
                  Fused T1 to L2

Comment

Working...