Big Scare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Scare

Hi everyone. Well, I had a scare recently and I am nearly four years post-op. Last Thurs I woke up with excruciating pain in my lower right side. It hurt when I even made the slightest movement. I figured I pulled a muscle from lifting my baby daughter so much. I don't know how, but I manged to go to work for a few tedious hours, but then had to go home. I didn't want to take a sick day because of muscle pain. It really hurt the rest of the day and all weekend. My husband had to take over and do nearly everything for himself, me and the baby. Of course, I was worried it was the hardware, but I really did not do anything to cause damage to it. My regular doctor gave me some pain killers and I took Motrin. Neither one really helped, but it got a little better over the weekend. Still, I went to see my surgeon today. (and I was just there in Sept for a check-up)

Luckily, all the hardware is fine. He said if it had been the hardware, it would have been even more painful. Well, the muscle pain was pretty bad, so I cannot imagine it being much worse. He said I really strained a muscle and I have to be more careful. I forget sometimes that even though I am pain free most of the time, my muscles are more suseptible to strain because of the hardware. He gave me an anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxant and hopefully that will help.

I am trying to take it easy this week. Tomorrow will be my first day on my own with the baby. Luckily she's out of a crib, so I don't have to lift her during nap time. I am figuring out ways to avoid lifting her. Hopefully she will learn to be a good climber!

Unfortunately I learned the hard way that you really have to be careful, even years after your surgery...
    Heather
    Surgery date: April 20, 2004
    Anterior/posterior surgery
    Fused T-11 to L-5
    Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
    Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
    Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
    Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Phew!

Hi Heather -- Lynne filled me in on your situation and I was holding my breath waiting to hear what was wrong -- thank goodness it was just a pulled muscle!! It's funny how in OUR world, a pulled muscle is GOOD news !!!!

Never a dull moment, eh?
    Take care and hope the pain goes away soon,
    Chris
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

So Sorry!

How extremely frustrating this all must be for you! That must have been quite a scare! I'm so thankful it turned out to be ok... I guess we just have to remember our limitations-- but that confuses me also. Some seem to say you can do anything after a certain amount of time goes by, and others that you'll always have these limits. It's hard to know, isn't it, how much is "stretching" and how much is "too far"-- Hope your muscle heals quickly and you can return to "normal" again, whatever that is. Take care!
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
      X