New in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New in Texas

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself. I have been reading the forum for about 8 months, this is my first post. I was diag. with scoliosis at age 10. Wore a boston bucket brace with milwaulkee bars faithfully from age 10-until age 16. Surgery was scheduled for 1983 at Wilford Hall Medical Center is San Antonio, Texas. I did not have it. My surgeon started to question the length of fusion and would that effect how I swam, this doubting was enough to not go through with it at the time. I was a nationally ranked swimmer and did attend college on a scholarship. My curves were T50 L30. I went 29 years without any type af pain associated with my back. Then in Feb. 2006 C7 herniated, C4, 5, and 6 bulging and back pain began. I began to notice my shoulder blade sticking out more and some shifting in my hips. I had not had x-rays since 1984. Had my first set in 2006 and curves are T64 and L35. Last spring I went to Austin to see Dr. Geck(spineaustin.com) Very nice Dr., good listener and communicator, spent about 1 1/2 hrs. with us. Proposed fusing T3-L1. I then traveled to Plano to Dr. Shelekov for a second opinion. He spent over an hour with us. He is very charismatic and inspires confidence. He was upfront about complications and the death I had read about on the forum. Proposed fusing T3-L2. I now have an appt. in NY with Dr. Boachie. We are making a spring break vacation out of it and taking our two boys(ages 20 and 15) with us. I have never been to NY and am looking forward to it. I am looking forward to my appt. with Boachie.

Sorry to ramble on. Just wanted to say hello and thank everyone on the forum. Your info. and feelings are making this journey a bit easier. This is such a huge decision and I waffle daily about having it done.

Mary
    Texas
    T-64
    L-35
    Mary
    T-64
    L-40
    Wore Milwaulkee brace from 6th grade until 11th grade. Surgery was scheduled Oct. 1983, did not go through with it.

Hi Mary and welcome to the forum. I read posts on the forum for many months prior to posting as you did. It seems to be difficult to step out there the first time. You are doing the right thing by seeing several different physicians for opinions. This is a huge decision to make. We all go through the trying time of "do I or not". It is hard...

From reading the posts it sounds like Dr. Boachie is a very good physician. Good luck with your appointment and have fun in New York.

I finally went ahead with my surgery 3 months ago and am now glad that I took the plunge. You will find the people on this forum so nice, helpful, encouraging, etc. I can't say enough about them. I'm certainly glad that I found the forum.
    Take care,
    Susan
    Susan, Age 60, getting accustomed to my new back!
    A/P Surgery Oct. 15 and 22, 2007
    Spinal fusion T10 -S1 with Segmental instrumentation
    Thorocolumbar pre-op curve 63 degrees: post-op curve less than 10 degrees per Dr. at 6-month appt.
    Dr. Robert A. Hart @ Oregon Health & Science University, (OHSU) Spine Center, Portland, OR

Comment

Thanks Susan for the kind reply. This forum has been a blessing. I have followed so many stories. It's wonderful to have a connection to others going through this. Congrats on a successful surgery. One of my greatest fears would be to come out of this surgery with more pain long term than I am experiencing now. How was your pain level prior to surgery, and how is it now?

Mary
      Mary
      T-64
      L-40
      Wore Milwaulkee brace from 6th grade until 11th grade. Surgery was scheduled Oct. 1983, did not go through with it.

Comment

Working...
      X