2 weeks left until I'm straight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 weeks left until I'm straight

Hi, my surgery is scheduled for feb. 4th, and tomorrow I am getting an MRI and seeing the Chiropractor to see if he can do anything. My parents both don't want to accept the surgery idea, especially my dad, due to the fact that he wasn't at the orthopedist on Jan 4th to hear "you need surgery." I guess I'm a bit more ready for it, I researched for like 3 months, and knew before i went in that I would most likely need it, and had prepared my mind for it. Plus, I've been having rib pains for about a year and a half now, and I have been having pain along my spine and in other spots along my ribs for the past few months. I don't like how my body looks lately, I find it ugly because it's all messed up, and swimming feels wierd sometimes, as well as walking, (probabaly because I over analyze all of my movements) so that I can feel my curve as I swim, how I pull to one side, and how my limbs and hips are off. When I'm walking sometimes my left foot scrapes the ground, and I'm not being lazy when I walk XD. SO I guess I'm just ready for all of this to be fixed.

The second opinion is still trying to be set up, I think the next opening for surgery at the other hospital is in May, and I CANT wait that long. So for now, my surgery date is in pencil, but I wish it was in pen, I can't stand having everything be so wishy washy when this is such an important event, I just want it to be all organized and laid out plain in front of me XD.

does anyone have any advice for convincing my dad especially that I need surgery?

Thanks
    Pre-Op:
    UT-35*. T-55*, L-30*
    16 year old girl
    Fusion- T5- T12 on March 17th 2008
    Post-OP:
    UT-27*, T/L-very straight : ]

Take your Dad to all your important appts from now on so he can hear what you are hearing from the doctors. Then you will all be in it together. It is a lot easier than trying to explain things or trying to convince him. Let him be more involved in the process.
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

My guess is that your dad just doesn't want to think that surgery is the only solution. It is such a big step and as parents we don't want our kids to have to go through something so major. I'm 46 and my older sister didn't want me to have the surgery because she was afraid that I wouldn't be any better. She believed a treatment known as the Egoscue Method would fix me. I wasn't willing to spend thousands of dollars on a treatment that hasn't been proven to work, especially for scoliosis. Well 5 and a half weeks post op she agrees that I made the right choice. Give your dad some time to come around. This surgery is a huge step. I think it is harder for someone without scoliosis to accept the need for surgery than it is for the person that lives with scoliosis daily. Remember that even if you have to wait until May for surgery, it really isn't that far away. I had a 7 month wait and the time flew by. Good luck.
      Alicia
      Geish
      47 years old, dx at 13
      +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
      Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
      http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
      http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

I honestly don't know how to convince anyone. Just want to tell you that even as an adult with grown kids my parents are still concerned about my surgery. They wish it didn't have to be. You will always be your daddy's little girl and he doesn't want to see you have to go through something like this. He's probably just way scared and worried. Good luck.
        2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
        surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
        Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
        5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
        5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
        6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
        (left open with just clear dressing)
        6/6/08 recleaned and closed
        3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Reply to Sanah

Hi Sanah,

It is a big step and I applaud you wanting to do the surgery and get it over with. However, I can understand your dad wanting to get a second opinion. Even though both doctors will probably recommend it, they might have different approaches to the surgery. So try and hang in there.

You are scheduled for surgery the day before my daughter. We were in a rush to have the surgery when we found out that her curved progressed. The waiting is agony for her. However, even though we had to wait quite awhile to get an appt with the second doctor we were glad we did as we feel much more comfortable with the second doctor's approach.

Best of Luck to you!
          Michele
          Samsmom
          Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
          42 Degree Lumbar Curve
          Fused T-4 to L-2
          Yale New Haven
          2/5/08

Comment

thanks

Thank you everyone for your replies!
            We went to the Chiropractor on Monday, and he sat down with my dad and explained to him that surgery was the best option. He seems a bit more convinced, but still does not want to engrave it in stone.

Now my parents want to see Dr. Woo in Gainesville before doing the surgery, and now that my mother found out that we can see him on feb. 26th they are dead set on waiting until march 3rd for the operation.

I personally just want to get it over with, it's been quite a trying time on my self esteem and such already, noticing everything bit by bit, and ever since I went to the chiropracter and had my MRI monday I've been having pains in more places along my back, ribs, and even in my hips and stomach regions a bit, and they are worse than the dull ache I had before, as well as lasting longer, and occuring more often. Maybe it is my sub-conscious making it worse because my body wants to be fixed, and is trying to tell me so, or maybe it's me, wanting to be fixed, and not wanting to wait, psychological more so, but because of it, I really want to get it done feb. 4th, I mean, it's so close, I can almost touch it, and I'm just ready for it, to be out of school, to be relaxing at home, just to take the 6 week or so break, and experience it all.

My parents of course, are more set on the second opinion however. I think it's because a) they're scared, b) they are hopeful that some how some way I won't need surgery, and c) that my friend had the surgery a long time ago with this guy, and her friend who also had a similar degree to her own had been turned down for the surgery. I'm guessing her degrees were more so in the 40's though, because I could understand then how one might be turned down and the other one encouraged, but the 50's, after all I've heard, and done research, just seems a bit far fetched...

The thing I would like to know is how far it has progressed since july, because they didn't measure the old ones, but only took new x-rays, and measured those. It'd be interesting to see how far they have progressed. Maybe I've grown again, and it's gotten worse, which is why it hurts more....

sorry for such a long entry, thank you again!
            Pre-Op:
            UT-35*. T-55*, L-30*
            16 year old girl
            Fusion- T5- T12 on March 17th 2008
            Post-OP:
            UT-27*, T/L-very straight : ]

Comment

Working...
            X