Dr Finn in St Petersburg Florida?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Finn in St Petersburg Florida?

Does anyone have any experience with Dr Charles Finn, spine surgeon in St Petersburg FL? I am discussing May 08 surgery with him, as my 'mild' scoliosis has in the past year gotten very bad and painful, 70-80 degree curve and progressing. I'm getting a 2nd opinion for Dr Moreno too. How do you decide who to go with? So far Finn has been open, helpful, and competent. At least he got my insurance to pay for the MRI, which had been refused from a previous dr. (Weinstein at Florida Orthopaedic Institute) I just joined the forum, looking forward to hearing from others, Thanks.
    Mild scoliosis diagnosed at 12, wore brace for a year then ignored till after menopause when it started to progress. Lost 5 inches in height. Pre-surgery double curve measured @60/80 degrees. Surgery May 14 & 15, 2008 in Philly, Rothman Inst; Instrumentation & spine fused T1 to L4 with screws into hips. Wore brace for 3 months. Good recovery; totally off pain meds after one year. Now 3 inches taller with no hump, but I lean to side in thoracic & wear 3/4 in. lift on right shoe. No regrets!

Originally posted by Polyphemus
    How do you decide who to go with?
    I supposedly have consulted with some outstanding surgeons. When I first met with surgeon #1, I asked him what he would do if he had my spine; and he said he would wait until he could no longer function and then have an operation. When I relayed this to surgeon #2, he looked aghast as if he could not believe what he was hearing. Surgeon #3 told me I can see 100 different surgeons and get 100 different opinions. This clearly does not make it easy for us as patients, does it? I’ve since turned this over to a higher power and have prayed to God for guidance and direction.

Good luck,

Chris

Comment

Welcome!

I can't help you with either of your doctors, but wanted to let you know I'm so glad you are part of the forum. I think I'm in the minority in not having shopped around and gotten more than one opinion, but I felt good about my doctor and his scoliosis experience and didn't feel I needed to look further. Best wishes in your search!

Just curious--is your "name" from the beautiful moth or from mythology???
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks for your replies and encouragement. Sounds like many of us are in the same boat. I see Moreno this Friday, but am leaning towards Dr Finn. I really don't want to add to the stress of a surgery by traveling out of town if I don't have to. At least I live in a large metropolitan area where I have some choices.
        Having much shortness of breath and fatigue, and it's hard to be assertive, so
        I've decided to bring a good friend to dr. appointments to help ask tough quesitons, remember, take notes and assess situation. Husband passed away 1 1/2 years ago, daughter off in college, it's just me here. It also helps to think about all the appointments as a legitimate and important 'part time job!' That way I don't feel so angry that I can't do as much as I used to.
        Mild scoliosis diagnosed at 12, wore brace for a year then ignored till after menopause when it started to progress. Lost 5 inches in height. Pre-surgery double curve measured @60/80 degrees. Surgery May 14 & 15, 2008 in Philly, Rothman Inst; Instrumentation & spine fused T1 to L4 with screws into hips. Wore brace for 3 months. Good recovery; totally off pain meds after one year. Now 3 inches taller with no hump, but I lean to side in thoracic & wear 3/4 in. lift on right shoe. No regrets!

Comment

FYI, the name Polyphemus is actually in honor of horseshoe crabs, Limulus polyphemus. I've always loved those ancient creatures for some weird reason. Their springtime egg-laying gatherings in South Jersey are particularly amazing. But I like that it refers to the other things too. Also, it's a word I can easily remember!

Comment

Someone who used to contribute to this Forum had extensive surgery with Dr. Moreno a couple of years ago and was very happy with the experience and the results. If you do a search on his name, you'll come up with some more information on him. I think when it comes to picking the surgeon you want, you will instinctively make the choice that's right for you based on all the factors that are important to your particular case. Good luck to you.
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

No surgery with Finn

Just to update this thread, I did not have surgery with Dr Finn. Went to Dr Vaccaro at Rothman Instittue in Philly. Had very good experience there, no complications, excellent support.

Comment

Working...
              X