Wearing heels after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wearing heels after surgery

About how long until we can wear high heel shoes? I personally am talking about 1-1/2" to 2" heels. Does it affect the fusion or the rods somehow? It feels comfortabe when I try them on but, I have not walked in them yet as I am afraid of throwing my back out . Do any of you wear them and at how may inches? And how does it feel? I am 3 months post-op. Maybe it's just too early for me after surgery.
    A/P Surgery Oct.15 and 18, 2007
    T2 to Sacrum
    Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
    Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
    Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital
    Bevery Hills, CA

Debbie, age 51 at surgery.
    Now, 59 yrs young :-)

I wore 1-1/2" inch heels last week for the first time when I went out to dinner. It wasn't comfortable but I lived. It didn't feel like I was hurting my back but it definitely felt weird. I just walked carefully.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi Debbie,

I looked back at my posts to see when I first wore heels. I started to work into them at around 6 months and went dancing at 7 months for 1 1/2 hours in 3 1/2" heels. I am not fused to the sacrum though. Only to L4. This might make a difference I don't know. Some women never get back into their heels from what I have read here. Best wishes.

Comment

is it too soon?

I've worn heels twice, and I am nearly 7weeks post op. I wore low 2inchers to a couple of meetings at work last week (when ballet flats just felt too casual). Today I wore 3-4 inch wedges for the majority of the day. It may have been a bit much but it felt good to be back to my usual shoes!

Is it too soon for me, or bad for my fusion in anyway?
        2000 34*L/39*T
        2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
        (initially planned T4-L1)
        12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Wow vndy, that's impressive at 7 weeks post-op, but then again you are 22 yrs. old. I have 30 yrs. on you. I just talked to my nurse this morning and she was a little up in the air on that question. She said it's ok but they may hurt after awhile. I asked her if it would hurt the fusion and she said no, it just may be painful after wearing them for awhile, like i said earlier. I do miss wearing my heels too!!!
          A/P Surgery Oct.15 and 18, 2007
          T2 to Sacrum
          Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
          Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
          Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital
          Bevery Hills, CA

Debbie, age 51 at surgery.
          Now, 59 yrs young :-)

Comment

Working...
          X