Janet's status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Janet's status

Hi everyone! This is my 1st real post since prior to surgery.

The back surgery appears to have gone pretty much as planned - I think the fusion is T2 to L2. Dr. B decided to postpone the L5 - S1 fusion because I had already been under anesthesia for about 10 hours & the lower fusion requires another 3 hours, so we are taking a wait & see approach for that. I have a cervical collar to wear when I am up and about but I haven't done very much of that yet. The collar is very uncomfortable and I will contact Dr. to maybe change that.

I was in HSS from 12/26 to 01/09 - I contracted pneumonia, was on some really strange head trips from the drugs and couldn't manage the patient-controlled pain meds so I apparently spent much of the3 first 5 days screaming in agony. After being moved to a regular room on day 6, I was not as delusional but managed to pick up a gastro-bug resulting in 4 days diarhea (sp?) and got motion sick every time they wheeled me to the places to get x-rays,cat scans.etc.

After 15 days at HSS I was discharged to the rehab facility at NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases, where, long story short, I've been suffering from nausea, dizziness, etc. so I have not had as much PT as was planned. I expect to be discharged to a sub-acute rehab somehwere in Manhattan, where I will be given more rehab when I am not sick to my stomach.

I'm quite tired now, but will update soon.

Many thanks for your prayers and good wishes.
    As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

My goodness!

Gosh, Janet, I was so surprised to read your post with all the things that happened! It sounds like Murphy's Law was in effect... I tried to keep the forum posted by relaying what Neal had said in his updates on your site, but he never mentioned any of this!

I am glad you are doing better now and will be praying for the nausea and dizziness to go away so you can get to doing some PT, etc.--and so you can start feeling better! Sending lots of well wishes and prayers your way... Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Wow Janet! What an ordeal. I sure do hope that the rest of your recovery goes much smoother for you. Get plenty of rest and take care of yourself. We will all be thinking of you.
      Alicia
      Geish
      47 years old, dx at 13
      +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
      Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
      http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
      http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with you Janet. Take care, Lynn
        1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
        2000 Partial Rod Removal
        2001 Right Scapular Resection
        12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
        06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Janet,

It's good seeing your name pop up again, but my oh my what a rough ride you've had. I hope things calm down for you. Sending healing thoughts your way. God bless.

Chris

Comment

Hi Janet,

We never know what's going to happen, and you had a rough time. I hope the worst is past for you and that you have a much smoother recovery from here on in.

It's great that you are actually on the computer, that's a wonderful sign that things are looking up. It took me months before I could get back on here.

You've survived the battle, you are a strong person, I have faith that you will realise just how strong you are!

You will be in my thoughts and prayers,
            Shari

Comment

Janet, my heart dropped right into my stomach reading your post! I am SO sorry for all you had to go through, and I absolutely canNOT imagine not having had morphine those first few days after surgery. And that was just the beginning for you. I wish you the very, very best in the coming weeks and months - things have to look up from here, don't they?
              31 year old female
              55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
              T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
              Xray, 3 mos. post-op
              Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Working...
              X