Kaiser N Ca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kaiser N Ca

My 14 year old son (15 March 31)was diagnosed a year ago November with a 27 degree curve. He was put into and wore (off and on) a Boston brace starting in March last year. He was not seen again until this November and his curve was already at 47 degrees and his rib hump is getting much much worse. He was told by the doctor to give up the brace and a surgery consult appointment has been made for February.

A few of things:
    He has extreme pain to the point of stopping him from activities (thankfully he isn't a team sport kind of guy)
    This pain has caused depression and suicidal thoughts.
    The doctors swear the scoliosis does not cause the pain.

No mri was offered, no follow up appointments at 4 months (like I have read about here). No ref for real physical therapy. No real treatment for the whole child overall.

We are in the Kaiser system in N. California. This system tells us surgery now, but I talked to Doctors at UCSF and they won't do surgery until 50 degrees.

Does anyone have experience dealing with any Kaiser across country? Specifcally Dr. Todd Lincoln in Oakland (where all area Kaiser patients go for this surgery)?
    If so were you able to get a off plan second opinion?
    Do you need to wear a brace after surgery? For how long.
    What's recup time like?
    Anyone do the Browning Miller Yoga and have you heard of the Schroth PT Method?
    And a thousand other questions???
    Joss' Mom
    Gail

I replied to your post on another thread also but wanted to make sure you saw this. I hope it helps.

I just had surgery at Kaiser Sunset in Hollywood. My Dr, Dr Ganocy was wonderful. My middle curve was at 60* when I first saw him in May 07. At that time I was told I could have the surgery at anytime over the next 5 years. I opted for sooner rather than later due to my age. I was treated very well both in and out of the hospital. All of my durable medical supplies were covered including a hospital bed at home for 3 months post op. I just had them pick that up today as I am sleeping in my own bed again.

I never asked for a second opinion because I knew that my curves had progressed so much over the last three years and were only going to continue to worsen over time. I am in a brace for 4 months total post op due to the length of my fusion. It is precautionary and well worth wearing as far as I am concerned. As long as my fusion takes I will be out of the brace at the middle of March.

During my hospital stay I was allowed to have my 19 year old daughter stay with me. The nursing staff was very attentive and caring. I have had great after care at my post op appointments too. I see Dr Ganocy in 2 more weeks and will find out then if I can put my brace on after I get out of bed instead of have to put it on before I get up.

It appears that I am recovering ahead of schedule. I was off of the heavy narcotic at 13 days post op. I had gone to the gym for 3 months prior to surgery to get in the best shape I could be in as I prepared for surgery. I think that has really helped with my recovery. I am not in pain per say as much as I ache. I was surprised at how little pain I actually suffered after surgery. Really just the first 3 days or so and then it was really more like an overall achiness.
    I would be happy to answer any questions I can regarding Kaiser. Feel free to send me a PM.
    Good Luck,
    Alicia
    Geish
    47 years old, dx at 13
    +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
    Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Gail,

I'm sorry you did not get a follow up during that time, but I don't think it would of stoped the curve from progressing.

I had my surgery last May in Kaiser Oakland and I can't say enough good things about the surgeon Dr. Bains he was fabulous and got me an amazing correction. I'll attach my x-rays below. My stay at the hospital was 10 long days and I don't remember much about it, but my husband or sister in law stayed every night and someone in my family was there everyday with me, I was never left alone. If you would like to PM me, I can try to answer your questions about Kaiser Oakland.

Best of luck to you and Joss
      Patty 51 years old
      Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
      Posterior T3- L4
      Pre surgery curves
      T-53degrees
      L-38degrees
      and a severe side shift to the right.
      Post surgery curves
      Less than 10 degrees
      Surgery April, 2006
      C4 - C6

Comment

Alicia,

I vote you as poster child for easiest recovery of the year. You’re very lucky. And I’m sure all that training at the gym worked in your favor as well.

Chris

Comment

Working...
        X