any advice on exercise equipment...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any advice on exercise equipment...?

I finished with my PT recently and am trying to get so I can continue with the major stuff at home... I've got plenty of exercises to do, plus I ordered a good treadmill, so I'll have weight-bearing and cardio exercise. At PT I had used a Total Gym exercise thing at the rehab place, to help me with leg strength for squatting-- and have been busy looking online for used babies. The better models are fairly expensive, even used. I need one of the better ones that you can add weights to, for the squat workout. I found a really good quality one (11000)(that's the model#, not the cost...) that I may get, but it doesn't have the pilates kit. Since that's not what I need it for, I'm tempted not to consider that as a factor. There are some XLs with pilates kits, but that would be a step down in quality, but still good. I've seen several of you ladies talk about doing pilates. Since I really have no idea what pilates are (other than the mention of working flexibility here on the forum), I wondered if it is something that I should look into better-- or are pilates mostly done PRE surgery? I'm fused from T2-L4, so I'm definitely not going to be increasing my flexibility through that region! I looked to see how much the pilates kit is, in case I wanted it later on, and it's over $600. Other than that, the one I found seems just what I want. Believe me (and my husband would roll his eyes, fairly disgustedly) I've put a lot of time in on ebay and craigslist and reading reviews and information about these during this past week. (Like hours every day...) Any advice will be appreciated, as I'm kind of confused at the moment.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

post-Op Pilates

Pilates is definatly not just for those who are still pre-op. There is a great book called "Pilates for Fragile Backs" that was written by Andra "Andy" Stanton and another woman whose name I forget. Andy has had fusion for scoli as well as revision for flatback. She found a pilates instructor who had also been fused and now modifies the poses to something she can manage.
    I have used the pilates kit on the total gym (pre-fusion) and really enjoyed it. I found that if I was using the ankle straps I could stretch and strengthen at the same time. You can do a lot with the arm handles, and since most of it is laying prone you dont move the back while working out. I also like the total gym b/c you use your own weight to strengthen muscles and if its too much you lower it.

Comment

The cheapest, most used piece of exercise equipment I've ever owned (maybe because it's rather difficult to hang clothes on it? ;-) has been my inflatable balance ball.

It's a fantastic way to work your core muscles - and is also great for your legs and glutes. I bet your former PT could devise/modify some exercises for you, and there are several in the "normal" instruction booklet that don't require lumbar bending.

Good luck!
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
      X