Philadelphia Area Doctors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philadelphia Area Doctors

My 13 year old son was recently diagnosed with severe scoliolsis. He had a fusion when he was 2 years old for a congenital kyphosis. At 6 years old he was given a clean bill of health. However, at 13 he was diagnosed with a 43T 40L curvature. We have seen Dr. Gabos at Dupont, Dr. Dormans at CHOP and Dr Betz at Shriners (with surgery being done by Samdani or Cahill).

Casey wears a Boston Brace at night, but all doctors are skeptical about holding the curve which has increased to 48T 48L in three months. So we are considering surgery in the next couple of months. We would love some recommendations on any of the above doctors.

Thanks so much!

Kim

Hi Kim,

Although I do not have any direct experience with Dr. Gabos at Dupont, Dr. Dormans ~ do know Dr. Betz as well as Dr. Samdani and they are both wonderful surgeons.

My daughter is a patient of Dr. Betz ~ she had VBS surgery at Shriners a yr and a half ago the surgery itself was done by Dr. D'Andrea (who's no longer there) anyway I honestly cannot say enough positives about Shriners as well as their entire staff. They are all very honest and caring individuals. They have great bedside manners and really know how to care for a child and make the child completely comfortable.

I've heard wonderful thinggs about CHOP but againg I have no first hand experience.

Hope this helps.

~Amanda
    Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
    Diagnosed 8/2005 ~ 26 Degree Curve
    Progressed to 42 Degrees by Dec 05
    Milwakee Brace 1/16/06 - 6/26/06
    Vertebral Stapling on 6/26/06 @ Shriners in Philadelphia
    26 Degree Post Op Curve
    Last X-Rays December 07 ~ 26 Degree Curve
    Email: domingo_amandapompa@msn.com
    YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6GmX3K7FIs

Comment

Hi Kim,

I too have no personal experience at CHOP or Dupont because we don't live in that area.

My son is also a patient of Dr. Betz in Philadelphia and I know Dr. Samdani as well (we've seen him in clinic a few times). I also know two parents whose kids had surgery with Dr. Samdani and they both loved him. I've heard of Dr. Cahill too but have not met him personally.

We have been going to Shriners for 4 years and Dr. Betz and his team have done wonders for our son - we have received the very best care.

To put it another way - we have good insurance and live in NY with access to many "so-called" top doctors - but we choose to travel to Philadelphia so that David can be seen at Shriners!

Good luck to you - your daughter will be in great hands at Shriners if you decide to go that route.
      mariaf305@yahoo.com
      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Hi Kim,
        Welcome to the forum! You'll find lots of information and support here. This forum has been a lifesaver for me!

My 17 year old son just had posterior spinal fusion with Dr. John Flynn at CHOP. He is an amazing surgeon and I would highly recommend him. Dr. Dormans also has a fantastic reputation. You can't go wrong with either one of them. The entire staff at CHOP is great.

Best of luck to you,
        Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
        Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
        Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Great doctors

Hi, My son has been seeing the doctors at Shriners in Philadelphia for about 5 years now. To answer your question the doctors there are great, actually more than great. Dr. Betz and Dr. Samdami are wonderful and I couldn't ask for better care. The nursing staff is just as wonderful and they really take the time to listen and help in every way possible. They all know you by name as soon as you walk in even the cleaning crew care about how you are. For the doctors they really their stuff, they are even involved in the research for new and better ways of helping their patients. If you are looking for a hospital and doctors to help your child with a scoliosis issue Shriners in Philadelphia is the best place to go. Hope this has helped.

Comment

Phila docs

Kim,
            I was wondering where you ended up: duPont, Shriners, or CHOP, & with which surgeon? As you can see by my signature below, we've been "around"!!
            Martha
            Mother of Laura, Age 19
            Diagnosed with S curve at Age 13 (49*T/32*L)
            Wore brace for one year (Wilmington Jacket)
            Posterior spinal fusion on April 17, '08 with Dr. Flynn at CHOP (Age 16)
            Fused T2-L2
            Pre-op curves: 41*UT/66*T/34*L
            Post-op curves: 14*UT/19*T/19*L
            Note: At 1 yr. post-op appt, UNFUSED lumbar curve improved to 14*!!
            OK to email me at: malka22@comcast.net

Comment

Thanks for all the information. We are probably going to have surgery with Dr. Samdani at Shriners. We have an appointment next week. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Kim,

You'll be in great hands. We've been going to Shriners for over four years now, and while Dr. Samdani was not with the Shriners team back in 2004 when my son had his surgery, I've heard nothing but excellent things about him in the few years since he joined Shriners. We've also seen him in clinic once or twice (the doctors work as a team) and he seemed very knowledgeable, thorough and really nice.

And besides, he was trained by Dr. Betz, who only hires the best

Good luck and let us know when you get a date.
                mariaf305@yahoo.com
                Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Kim,

Good luck. Please keep us posted.
                  Melissa
                  From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                  Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Working...
                  X