Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A recycling or Freecycling type idea ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A recycling or Freecycling type idea ...

I was chatting with another member about all the durable medical supplies - and things like extended shoehorns/elastic shoelaces, etc. - people with insurance are often given in the hospital, yet never use.

Some of us have better insurance than others (or insurance, period), some insurance companies are more generous to pay for durable medical supplies, and even things we purchase (grabbers, shower seats, tub rails, etc.) may only be used for the short term - and can be quite costly.

What's everyone's opinion on starting a forum area for asking/offering no longer needed supplies - for free or reduced cost - to those who'll need them?

(and, yeah ... I *am* an avid Freecycler ;-)

Best regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Pam - I think that's a great idea! I can't offer any of my stuff right now, unfortunately, because I will be needing it for the 4th time! However, I will pay attention now to see if there's any small items I don't need or don't use and will be happy to send them on to anyone who might need them.
    FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
    10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
    8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
    5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
    2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
    3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

I havent touched my extra long shoe horn, sock putter-on-er, or elastic shoe laces and would be more than happy to pass them on!
      2000 34*L/39*T
      2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
      (initially planned T4-L1)
      12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

um, they give you those curly springy shoe laces? I've been looking for them, my mom had them after her hip replacements but I haven't been able to find them.
        2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
        surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
        Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
        5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
        5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
        6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
        (left open with just clear dressing)
        6/6/08 recleaned and closed
        3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Move to Texas, Vndy! LOL

No need for sock "putter on-ers" ... unless you just go out and want to wear the killer stiletto boots - heh ...

Other than that, for me, it's flip flops 365 days a year - except for cleats ;-).

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

I think it's a wonderful idea!!! I have passed on all of my helpful props, except more my brace.

Can't seem to part with that, not that it would be useful to anyone else, but I can't throw it away. I don't know why???

Shari

Comment

Shari, I loved the term "props" ;-) ... how apropo!

Best regards,
              Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

scoliosis freecycling-good thread

This would be good we would need to put are location so people would know about shipping and if it may be close enough to pick up. I was on Fairbanks Freecycle site looking for a treadmill don't have one yet but I love saving money. We might want to keep it here but maybe put the word out on the other scoliosis sites. That Is A Great Idea. Thanks Alma in Alaska

Comment

Dr. Boachie is always looking for used "props" for his FOCOS Foundation patients in Africa....he asked me to bring in my brace for recycling next time I see him. I'm still using my shoehorn and sock-putter-onner and wonder if I will ever NOT need those things......

And even though I don't use my cane much anymore, I could never give it away. I actually feel sentimentally attached to it....I think because I was so elated to get off the walker after three months and onto the cane. Maybe I'll decorate it and hang it in my bedroom.
                  Chris
                  A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                  Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                  Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                  Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I have a walker with wheels on the front and regular legs on the back that I hope to never use again. Its free for the asking. Anyone in Southern California wanting to come get is welcome to it! At this point I still use my sock putter-on-er ( I was given a very nice one that folds in on itself and doesn't stretch my socks out) and my long shoe horn so they won't be going anywhere anytime soon I think.
                    Alicia
                    Geish
                    47 years old, dx at 13
                    +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
                    Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
                    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
                    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Working...
                    X