Sleeping on Stomach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping on Stomach?

My hips are so sore from being on my back constantly. My Dr's nurse said I could sleep on my stomach and when I asked "how do I get on my stomach" she said "logroll". I can't figure it out - my arms are in the way. Is anyone out there sleeping comfortably on their stomach? Any tips for getting there while keeping proper alignment???
    Jan Lotherington,
    56* thoracic curve, 50* lumbar curve
    A/P fusion T3-Sacrum, Dec 11&13 2007
    at age 55
    Dr Bridwell

Jan -- can you sleep on the non-incision side with a pillow between your knees and a body pillow behind you to hold you in position? That's how I sleep most of the time.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

still don't do stomach...

I am most comfortable on my side, personally. something just does not feel right when I roll onto my stomach...might just be me...
      Lisa age 47
      T curve 69 degrees
      L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
      fused to from T-3 to sacrum
      anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
      pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

I've tried to get onto my stomach by logrolling (I think I might have had my arms over my head). Once I got there, though, it was uncomfortable. It felt as if my back was being arched. Let me know if you're successful, as I miss sleeping that way!
        2000 34*L/39*T
        2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
        (initially planned T4-L1)
        12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

I used a pillow

My husband was going to try giving me a massage, so I wanted to be on my stomach. When I rolled onto my stomach, I felt like I was sinking into the bed. I got a better idea, and grabbed a thin soft pillow. I just put it on the bed so it would end up under my chest/stomach area, and it made it way more comfortable. Make sure it is not too big, just big enough to make it so your shoulders aren't being pushed up and there is somewhere for your arms to go.

Good luck, I know what you mean about laying the same way all the time. I can't handle any one position for more than about 4 hours at a time.

Rosie
          2001 T-sp 58* L-sp 55*
          2007 T-sp 64* L-sp 67*
          Surgery Dec. 21 2007
          Posterior fusion T3 to L3

Comment

I have slept on my stomach all my life, but I can't get comfortable on my front even with a pillow. I had trouble sleeping last night and tried again, but no luck. I was so frustrated! It used to be so comfortable and I could fall asleep straight away. I also am hating being on my back, but my side isn't comfortable for more than a few minutes.
            1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
            2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
            2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
            Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
            msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

It just goes to show once again the variations in instructions from different doctors. My doctor told me after my first surgery to forget about sleeping on my stomach ever again. It's not comfortable for me anyway, but I can manage a short time for medical tests or a massage as long as I have a pillow underneath me. My favorite position was always on my left side, but I can't lie on either side now for more than 5 minutes. So I'm stuck with on my back - my least favorite position.
              FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
              10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
              8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
              5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
              2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
              3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

For Singer,

When you sleep on your side do you getyour husband to position the body pillow behing you are can you manage yourself? I'm not comfortable on my sides for long and afraid I'll always be waking hubby to reposition my pillows.

Also I have learned a queen bed is not large enough for the 2 of us and all my pillows!
                Jan Lotherington,
                56* thoracic curve, 50* lumbar curve
                A/P fusion T3-Sacrum, Dec 11&13 2007
                at age 55
                Dr Bridwell

Comment

Jan, at this point I'm actually able to reach behind me and smoosh the pillow up against my back. In the beginning I wasn't, but then again in the beginning I spent most of my time on my back.

To add my two cents regarding the stomach controversy: something won't let me even attempt it; it just feels like a scary thing to do.
                  Chris
                  A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                  Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                  Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                  Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Back in '83 when I had my Harringtion put in, I was never able to sleep on my stomach again. Even after I had the Harrington removed and A/P surgery in '02, it is just not to be I have to sleep on either side or flat on my back. If for whatever reason I have to be belly down, it is uncomfortable after just a couple of minutes. It took me awhile to get use to not sleeping on my belly.
                    SandyC
                    SandyC

Comment

Prior stomach sleeper

Hi all,

I was totally a stomach sleeper and remained so in the hosp after my surgery. I remember the staff being shocked to see me on my stomach and telling me that's not normal. Well since when have I been normal??!! I find the easiest way to sleep on my stomach when I feel the need is to put a pillow under my hips and not have one under my head. This was taught to me by my P.T. These days I am so glad to have a choice as to which side I want to sleep on. I could NEVER lay on my left side before surgery. Jan, I laughed at you saying the queen bed wasn't big enough for you and all your pillows. My husband keeps telling me we need a king bed now. I use a pillow between my knees when I am on my side and I do take up more room.

Comment

I'm a yr& 1/2 out now & I still never sleep on my stomach...
                        I always slept that way but learned after surgery to sleep on my back. I tried on my tummy recently & could'nt flip over without some difficulty. My front incision still feels weird to me...Ly

Comment

Hi Jan...

I'd check with your surgeon before you try again to sleep on your tummy. Doing so puts a lot of stress on the lumbar spine. My surgeon permanently restricted me from sleeping on my tummy after surgery. It was hard to get used to it. By the way, it seems to me that trying to get into an unnatural position so soon after surgery can't be good for you.

Good luck.

Regards,
                          Linda
                          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

My surgeon said never sleep on your stomach. Either side is fine and on your back. It really helps with a pillow between your legs. It takes awhile after and anterior approach to sleep on that side but at almost 4 months post op I have no problem with it.
                            Good luck.
                            CarolS
                            68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
                            Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
                            Osteotomy March 20,2008
                            Thrilled with results!

Comment

Hi Jan,

You have gotten some of the best advice from some very knowledgable and caring people here!!!

The thing that stuck out the most to me was, your Dr's nurse told you it was okay??? No disrespect to the nursing profession at all!!!

I was also told that back and side positions should be the way to sleep, and I'm 2 1/2 years post-op, and I still can't manage to sleep on my stomach. And I can't even imagine trying to so soon after surgery.

We are all different, but I have to agree with everyone else, that you should at the very least ask your doctor.

Shari

Comment

Working...
                              X