Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing Classes

Hey...

I'm thinking of starting to do a boxing class once a week. I'm around 8 months post op does anyone know if i should do it or not??

Thanks in Advance.
    Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Be careful!!!!

Hi Leelee,
    wow!!!! I personally would not & yet I'm 48 now & older than you. Do you think you should check with your doctor because you could fall?? If you are just doing a punching bag, maybe? Lynne
    It sounds like you are feeling good though!
    ps.I would love to roller blade so bad but hesitate & I am a yr1/2 out now....

Comment

Leelee-

that makes me hurt just thinking about it..I took a hard stumble before Christmas and I am STILL limping and in pain. But, you are younger and less "shopworn" than I am too...(ask your doc to be sure)
      Lisa age 47
      T curve 69 degrees
      L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
      fused to from T-3 to sacrum
      anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
      pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

I was told no contact sports...NO EXCEPTIONS....but I'm not sure if a boxing class would fall under that. I know at my age I would not chance it.
        Patty 51 years old
        Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
        Posterior T3- L4
        Pre surgery curves
        T-53degrees
        L-38degrees
        and a severe side shift to the right.
        Post surgery curves
        Less than 10 degrees
        Surgery April, 2006
        C4 - C6

Comment

sccrm08 -

My surgeon has told me he'll release me back to (the way *I* play) softball at 4 months. And I'm 39. I'll also go back to martial arts.

(he even said JOGGING at 2 months ... I looked at him and said "who runs for FUN??? ... Please.")

I think it has a LOT to do with your pre-surgery activity level - but always, always, always ... check with your OWN doctor.

Regards,
          Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Man, I've NEVER been active sports wise...but work has always been heavy constant lifting, I love to garden, rebuild houses( yeah I do the drywall. tiling.bathrooms, siding(just no heights ) type stuff, hubby does the electric(that scares me, and he does help with the other junk) we both do plumbing).I turned over a whole LARGE(1/3 acre)yard by hand (hubby got a rotorttiller last time my back went . Was planning on putting in a new pond connected to the other one this year, I guess that will be put on hold.
            So I guess I'm in decent shape just not gym kind of shape. Pam, I again can't believe what you are doing! I'm amazed!
            2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
            surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
            Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
            5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
            5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
            6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
            (left open with just clear dressing)
            6/6/08 recleaned and closed
            3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Sharshe--I had to smile when I read your post because I was also digging(slowly!) out a small pond before I found my fate was back surgery. I will have to hire a landscaper to do the rest this spring! I hope this spring to still garden but very slowly & carefully, little at a time.
              I did leaf blow yesterday & clean up our hilly yard & I felt soooo great doing it. I switched the blower from arm to arm. I love the gardening & yard work but now have to not overdue/ Ly

surgery-aug 2006/ fused T11 to L5

Comment

My mom and step-dad love to garden. We know that one day my step-dad is going to blow a disc and need fusion. My mom is not looking forward to that day since she has already been through my 4 surgeries.

Comment

To Sharshe

Hey Sharshe, are you for hire? Or just willing to teach me? I've got enough repairs to be done I could keep you busy for a while. And bring your husband along. I need some new ceiling fans and other elec. stuff done! I'll cook and keep the coffee brewing!
                  Becky, 46 years old
                  Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
                  Ignored until 448/07
                  Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                  Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
                  Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
                  Fused T-10 to L-5
                  14 titanium pedicle screws
                  Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
                  Email

Comment

Hey, I just grew up helping my parents, we always had fixers uppers. Hubby and I bought this house 17 yrs ago (we had to gut it). I always enjoyed this sort of thing, but I think all those sheets of drywall and lumber, moving furniture (by my self, my mom did warn me that was a nono) finally took its toll. Now I'll have to behave and play Foreman
                    2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
                    surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
                    Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
                    5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
                    5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
                    6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
                    (left open with just clear dressing)
                    6/6/08 recleaned and closed
                    3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

I've always been a kind of a hands on sort of girl myself. My husband works soooooo much and I was a stay-at-home mom for 13 years before going back to work. It only made sense that I do as much of the repair stuff and yard stuff that I could. I was the 'son my dad never had' so he took me fishing, showed me how to repair cars and how to fix stuff and I've just always liked doing it. This last summer was the first summer since my husband and I bought our first house 19 years ago (ouch, that hurts to see it in writing!) that I haven't been able to do all the mowing and edging in our yard. Of course with a 14 year old strapping young son I shouldn't need to do it. But it bothered me that I had that self-imposed limitation. And I love being outside. Having to give up certain things, like outside jobs, makes me feel older than my 45 years.
                      Becky, 46 years old
                      Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
                      Ignored until 448/07
                      Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                      Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
                      Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
                      Fused T-10 to L-5
                      14 titanium pedicle screws
                      Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
                      Email

Comment

Working...