PDA

View Full Version : Hospital bed

spincon58
06-17-2004, 06:37 PM
Is There anyone who wished they had a hospital bed when they returned home?

Is there anyone who had one and they didn't need it? I just want to lessen my pain.

LindaRacine
06-17-2004, 07:29 PM
Connie...

I BOUGHT! an adjustable bed before my surgery. In the end, I'm not sure how much good it did. I do think it makes it easier to get in and out of bed after surgery. However, I found that I couldn't lay with the head of the bed elevated very much, because it caused a burning pain in my shoulder blades after awhile.

So, I definitely wouldn't recommend that you buy an adjustable bed (unless you've got a lot of $ sitting around). But, you might want to rent one (insurance may for it it).

--Linda

joybell4444
06-17-2004, 08:21 PM
i wished i had one, and still do! Its hard to sleep since this surgery. my shoulder hurts from me trying to adjust myself at night. Sleep use to be one of my favorite things in life now its just a neccessity. I am going to the doctor tomorrow to get some suggestions on how to adjust myself. The way the nurses taught me in the hospital is not working for me anymore.

spincon58
07-14-2004, 10:07 PM
I just want to tell u that since i got th ehospital bed i have slept a bit longer...close to 4 or 4 1/2.....hours.

i also went from 5 3 1/2 to 5 ' 5 ' in height...

mish
07-15-2004, 07:14 AM
Connie,
How are you?

So, the hospital bed is definitely recommended?

spincon58
07-15-2004, 09:37 AM
Mish,
My incisions are healing very nicely......having trouble getting pain under control and limping from that stupid hip graft....otherwise spriits are up..unable to drive to get a cup of coffee....lifting hard..bending a bit easy..i never got a toliet seat raiser..so i guess everybody is different....

sidrid
08-06-2004, 01:41 PM
I didn't have a hospital bed but my regular bed was very uncomfortable, but that's another story.

What could have helped is a railing on the side of the bed, like on the hospital beds. It would have been such a help trying to put myself up to either sit on the side of the bed or to get up. Something solid to grab onto would have been a real help.

My rods are from T4-S1, I think, so any assistance would have been a plus.

Check with your insurance, they might cover a rental. My insurance covered a big reclining wheelchair which was great because sitting up was a killer on my RIGHT hip. My right hip was the one I was lying on during part of the surgery and it took a very long time for that pain to subside. The other hip was numb from where they had to remove the portion of my spine that had fused onto my hip before surgery.

While I was in the hospital, I somehow fell out of the bed because someone had left a railing down. Ouch. So your doctor could also request a hospital bed for you on the basis of safety, too. It can't hurt to ask.

thezman8756
08-06-2004, 02:08 PM
yea i wanted a reclining bed as well...it just would have been nice 2 b able 2 have the bed sit up 4 me like 2 watch tv or drink/eat nething...but i have done w/o it so far so its in the past really...just waiting 4 my stomach 2 get better...cuz its giving me more trouble than my back...lol...but that has nothin 2 do with this post...ayayay...

spincon58
08-13-2004, 11:18 PM
Hi,

Just wanted to add my 2 cents ....I'm 7 weeks post-op now and the hospital bed that I rented is empty in my room ...I used it for a month and than it was enough...the kids play in it now LOL..You have to look at it ;;with another step forward in recovery, when you have more flexiblity, less pain ..you can have better twisting and turning in your own bed...Only the stiffness , wakes me up...so I walk around the house ..It always seems to be at 3 AM ...Just to tell you , the month I used the bed was a godsent....it created less pain for me when I had to get in and out of bed...I recommend that U rent one for one monthHave a good night sleep everyone !!!!:)

mish
08-25-2004, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the info. I might inquire about the hospital bed from my doctor.

sidrid
09-12-2004, 03:00 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience, Connie. Perhaps it will help others with that decision.

In hindsight, I probably would have been more comfortable in a hospital bed, too. My regular bed was very uncomfortable, in fact, so uncomfortable that I have purchased a new mattress set.

KRIS ATKINSON
06-28-2005, 08:24 PM
After searching "hospital bed" and reading this thread, I plan to look into renting a hospital bed for my daughter, instead of moving her bed downstairs for the month or so. I searched on the net for rental places, but can't find anything local. I guess I will try the yellow pages and also call medical places around here. Maybe they don't list themselves on the net for rental locally. Is a manual bed good enough, those of you who have awareness? Kris

KRIS ATKINSON
06-29-2005, 06:54 PM
I have been looking into the types of bed/bed toppers to use. I notice some of you on the forum having sweat issues post-surgery. This may be common, especially with the medications and possible fevers that occur. If I consider a memory foam topper, it might be too hot if she sweats, etc. I thought of getting a memory foam topper for on a hospital bed, for instance. Also, people tend to prefer soft mattresses, but it occurs to me that someone said the mattress was so soft they had to struggle to get out of bed. My husband and I are thinking if we can rent a hospital/adjustable bed, the railing might help Erica get out of bed easier. Any thoughts on any of my new concerns? Thanks, Kris

rachael
06-29-2005, 07:02 PM
I think if you make the bed too soft, it would be very difficult to get in and out of it. I don't think memory foam would be too soft as long as the mattress is pretty firm. The sweatting may happen regardless, although I know my memory foam does make me get hotter, so I would choose what is most comfortable.
A rail might be helpful too. I had my bed up against a wall at home, and it helped, having something to lean against when I slept or repositioned. I could see it being helpful getting in and out of bed too, as long as there was room for her to swing her legs over without having to fight with the railing.

carebear23
06-29-2005, 07:43 PM
I have a semi related question as far as beds go anyway..

After surgery did everyone have to sleep alone? Or were you able to share a bed with your spouse or for those of you who have children that went through surgery, were you able to lay down with them? Or does having an extra person make it that much more difficult to get comfortable?

This thread provoked the question in my mind.

rachael
06-30-2005, 12:05 AM
sorry, I can't help you here... I was 15 when I had the surgery. I would of flipped out if my mom tried to sleep with me, although, she slept in the same room for a while, but don't tell her I am thankful for that!

Lavinia
06-30-2005, 04:47 AM
7 months post-op, fused T2-T12, age 55, UK.

I would have liked a hospital bed for the first few weeks at home, but managed quite well without it. I slept with my husband from the time I returned home - I was worried about disturbing him but he really wanted to be close to me. It was also a comfort having him there and holding his hand as I went to sleep - first while back home is quite regressive. It took a while to sort out a comfortable surface - mattress was too hard so we piled quilts on it, a friend lend me a fleece etc. until we got a mattress topper. It was not expensive but made all the difference and is comfortable for both of us. Plan to take it with on holiday! I haven't found it hot (nor has he) but I am experiencing sweats, in my case probably because of discontinuing HRT just before surgery.

It really does make a difference to be comfortable lying down, but things improve reasonably quickly, when the stiffness, numbness and muscle spasms reduce.

Best to all,

Lavinia

SandyC
06-30-2005, 10:31 AM
Carebear,
I slept with my husband from the 1st day home from the hosptial. I actually found it easier to sleep with him, because I could use him to help me turn over or change position at night. The first week or so I was rather weak and the weight of the TLSO brace made it awkward to move, so I like him in bed.

KRIS ATKINSON
06-30-2005, 04:42 PM
I visited 2 rental places today and found I can rent hospital beds for $155 and up/month. It uses a crank to raise the entire bed, which should be done probably just once, to get it the right height for Erica to sit comfortably. The other adjustments for head and knees are automatic and it has bed rails and a mattress. I notices an air mattress also available but they don't have information right away regarding rental, as they usually deal with medicaid or medicare for it. I will also look into my insurance for rental. Maybe I'll be lucky! I heard someone on the forum mention the air mattress, but the salesman said it is mostly if you have open bed sores, etc. Not sure if there is a difference is need for comfort between having your whole back healing or bed sores. He said it's a few thousand dollars for the air mattress. Unless I find the rental reasonable and worthwhile, I think I'll pass on the air mattress. Anyone know of using an air mattress? They also said the memory foam would not be made for a hospital bed, as the hospital bed is not a twin size mattress, so I won't look into getting a topper if I rent the Hospital bed. Kris

kathleensrose
07-02-2005, 07:07 PM
Kris:
You probably won"t need a Hospital bed. I had surgery Feb 8,2005 at 63 years and also considered It. We ended by buying a Tempur pedic topper at Sams. It was great. I had a huge operation, instrumented all the way to the sacrum, so, recovery is hard. The topper is great, my husband likes it too. He could not sleep with me in the beginning as I could not sleep at night. I simply watched t.v. all night for months. You will probably do well with three pillows propping youand another thicker smaller pillow between or below your legs for turning. You will log roll out of bed. Kathleen

spincon58
07-05-2005, 12:08 AM
Hi,
This is my one year anniversary and I would like to add that the hospital bed made my life after surgery very easy....My reasons were simple.....getting in and out of bed made easy by the push of a button to help raise my back to a simi sitting position to help me get out of bed...or when getting into bed, to help me lie down....The hospiatl bed also raised my knees up so it took presure off my healing spine...I missed sleeping with my husband but it was good for two reasons...first him moving around could cause any unnnessary movement or pain with my back,,,plus he slep better ..knowing that his movement didnot bother my sleep....I rented the bed at a surgercial supply company..and only for one moth....when I moved into my bed I did get a mattress topper...but that was only so good...the best thing to help a healing spine after surgery is TIME......

KRIS ATKINSON
07-05-2005, 05:28 AM
Connie, thank you for your comments on the hospital bed. That is exactly what I hope will help: getting the back lifted and then eased down with the push of the button, as that should encourage her to get up and around easier. I sure don't need to stress my back by trying to help her around more than I have to. We have the dining room table moved out and ready to call and get the bed put in when she is ready to come home. Thanks for suggesting a month rental being an appropriate time needed. Kris