Hospital bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hospital bed

Is There anyone who wished they had a hospital bed when they returned home?

Is there anyone who had one and they didn't need it? I just want to lessen my pain.
    CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
    fused T4 -L3
    Hip graft
    Grown 1 1/2 inches
    25/o upper T 15/o
    53/o T 15/o
    37/o L 6/o
    Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
    New York City

August 6, 2004
    Pulmonary Embolism
    complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
    increasing pain at the T4/5
    point irratation heardwear

Connie...

I BOUGHT! an adjustable bed before my surgery. In the end, I'm not sure how much good it did. I do think it makes it easier to get in and out of bed after surgery. However, I found that I couldn't lay with the head of the bed elevated very much, because it caused a burning pain in my shoulder blades after awhile.

So, I definitely wouldn't recommend that you buy an adjustable bed (unless you've got a lot of $ sitting around). But, you might want to rent one (insurance may for it it).

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

i wished i had one, and still do! Its hard to sleep since this surgery. my shoulder hurts from me trying to adjust myself at night. Sleep use to be one of my favorite things in life now its just a neccessity. I am going to the doctor tomorrow to get some suggestions on how to adjust myself. The way the nurses taught me in the hospital is not working for me anymore.

Comment

update on bed

I just want to tell u that since i got th ehospital bed i have slept a bit longer...close to 4 or 4 1/2.....hours.

i also went from 5 3 1/2 to 5 ' 5 ' in height...
        CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
        fused T4 -L3
        Hip graft
        Grown 1 1/2 inches
        25/o upper T 15/o
        53/o T 15/o
        37/o L 6/o
        Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
        New York City

August 6, 2004
        Pulmonary Embolism

January 2007 currently

Comment

Connie,
          How are you?

So, the hospital bed is definitely recommended?

Comment

Mish,
            My incisions are healing very nicely......having trouble getting pain under control and limping from that stupid hip graft....otherwise spriits are up..unable to drive to get a cup of coffee....lifting hard..bending a bit easy..i never got a toliet seat raiser..so i guess everybody is different....
            CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
            fused T4 -L3
            Hip graft
            Grown 1 1/2 inches
            25/o upper T 15/o
            53/o T 15/o
            37/o L 6/o
            Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
            New York City

August 6, 2004
            Pulmonary Embolism

January 2007 currently

Comment

I didn't have a hospital bed but my regular bed was very uncomfortable, but that's another story.

What could have helped is a railing on the side of the bed, like on the hospital beds. It would have been such a help trying to put myself up to either sit on the side of the bed or to get up. Something solid to grab onto would have been a real help.

My rods are from T4-S1, I think, so any assistance would have been a plus.

Check with your insurance, they might cover a rental. My insurance covered a big reclining wheelchair which was great because sitting up was a killer on my RIGHT hip. My right hip was the one I was lying on during part of the surgery and it took a very long time for that pain to subside. The other hip was numb from where they had to remove the portion of my spine that had fused onto my hip before surgery.

While I was in the hospital, I somehow fell out of the bed because someone had left a railing down. Ouch. So your doctor could also request a hospital bed for you on the basis of safety, too. It can't hurt to ask.
              Sid Rid
              (female)

Age 52
              Surgery May, 2002
              T4-S1
              MRSA staph infection

Comment

yea i wanted a reclining bed as well...it just would have been nice 2 b able 2 have the bed sit up 4 me like 2 watch tv or drink/eat nething...but i have done w/o it so far so its in the past really...just waiting 4 my stomach 2 get better...cuz its giving me more trouble than my back...lol...but that has nothin 2 do with this post...ayayay...
                ~Zach

Comment

Hi,

Just wanted to add my 2 cents ....I'm 7 weeks post-op now and the hospital bed that I rented is empty in my room ...I used it for a month and than it was enough...the kids play in it now LOL..You have to look at it ;;with another step forward in recovery, when you have more flexiblity, less pain ..you can have better twisting and turning in your own bed...Only the stiffness , wakes me up...so I walk around the house ..It always seems to be at 3 AM ...Just to tell you , the month I used the bed was a godsent....it created less pain for me when I had to get in and out of bed...I recommend that U rent one for one monthHave a good night sleep everyone !!!!
                  CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
                  fused T4 -L3
                  Hip graft
                  Grown 1 1/2 inches
                  25/o upper T 15/o
                  53/o T 15/o
                  37/o L 6/o
                  Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
                  New York City

August 6, 2004
                  Pulmonary Embolism

January 2007 currently

Comment

Thanks for the info. I might inquire about the hospital bed from my doctor.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experience, Connie. Perhaps it will help others with that decision.

In hindsight, I probably would have been more comfortable in a hospital bed, too. My regular bed was very uncomfortable, in fact, so uncomfortable that I have purchased a new mattress set.
                      Sid Rid
                      (female)

Age 52
                      Surgery May, 2002
                      T4-S1
                      MRSA staph infection

Comment

After searching "hospital bed" and reading this thread, I plan to look into renting a hospital bed for my daughter, instead of moving her bed downstairs for the month or so. I searched on the net for rental places, but can't find anything local. I guess I will try the yellow pages and also call medical places around here. Maybe they don't list themselves on the net for rental locally. Is a manual bed good enough, those of you who have awareness? Kris

Comment

I have been looking into the types of bed/bed toppers to use. I notice some of you on the forum having sweat issues post-surgery. This may be common, especially with the medications and possible fevers that occur. If I consider a memory foam topper, it might be too hot if she sweats, etc. I thought of getting a memory foam topper for on a hospital bed, for instance. Also, people tend to prefer soft mattresses, but it occurs to me that someone said the mattress was so soft they had to struggle to get out of bed. My husband and I are thinking if we can rent a hospital/adjustable bed, the railing might help Erica get out of bed easier. Any thoughts on any of my new concerns? Thanks, Kris

Comment

I think if you make the bed too soft, it would be very difficult to get in and out of it. I don't think memory foam would be too soft as long as the mattress is pretty firm. The sweatting may happen regardless, although I know my memory foam does make me get hotter, so I would choose what is most comfortable.
                            A rail might be helpful too. I had my bed up against a wall at home, and it helped, having something to lean against when I slept or repositioned. I could see it being helpful getting in and out of bed too, as long as there was room for her to swing her legs over without having to fight with the railing.
                            Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
                            Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

I have a semi related question as far as beds go anyway..

After surgery did everyone have to sleep alone? Or were you able to share a bed with your spouse or for those of you who have children that went through surgery, were you able to lay down with them? Or does having an extra person make it that much more difficult to get comfortable?

This thread provoked the question in my mind.
                              Age 28
                              diagnosed at age 12
                              wore a boston brace until age 14
                              No surgery, was on "wait and watch" till recently. Got a SpineCor (Jan 27th) to help ease the pain.
                              T-curve 73 degrees with severe rotation (curves to the right)
                              L-curve 45 degrees with slightly less severe rotation than my T-curve (curves to the left)

1994 - 5'10" - T-?/L-? (i forget what they really were)
                              2006 - 5' 4" - T-56/L-40
                              2008/09 - 5' 4" - T-73/L-45

Comment

Working...
                              X