Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel?

Hey everyone,

I wondering if I'll be ready to fly by February 20th. My surgery was nearly 6 weeks ago on December 3rd. Right now, my back isn't terribly painful, rather the muscles get tired and I struggle with energy and stamina. ? The flight will be about 3.5-4 hours, from Boston to Dallas. I'm going to be sure to book a direct flight.

When were you comfortable flying? Am I being reasonable in planning this trip?

Thanks!
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Vndy--how fun! I flew at 4 months, had my husband with me, and managed ok. I know you are younger and probably doing much better than I did at that point. It's so hard to know. I had a couple hours of travel to get to the airport (O'Hare), then all the rigmarole of checking in, etc., then about a 2 hour flight to New Hampshire--and another 45 minutes to where we were staying. It was great to get out and do something fun, but I did tire easily. One pointer that I hadn't thought of in advance-- you have to take your shoes off when they check you-- fortunately I had slip-ons on... but if my husband hadn't been there, I wouldn't have been able to pick them up to put them on the conveyor belt. I would have had to ask someone to help me, which I don't like to do! I mentally checked off in my mind to have easy access to my reacher in the future. It was packed away in my checked suitcase. Canes and reachers are allowed for you to carry on. Also, I sat in the middle seat, with my husband having the window seat. An aisle seat would be easiest to get in and out of. I don't know if any of this is a help or not... ask me any questions that come to mind--or pm me. Maybe I'll think of something more too.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hey vndy,

Long time no talk to! I definitely think you'll be ready by then. I flew less than 3 weeks after surgery, Seattle to Anchorage, then drove home (another 2.5-3 hrs). Of course, it was horrible at the end, but I'm 99% sure that's because of the oxycontin (motion sickness), and because it had been less than 3 weeks!

You can probably maximize comfort by walking in the airport pre-flight, and make sure to get up from your seat once or twice. It'll be fine!
      31 year old female
      55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
      T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
      Xray, 3 mos. post-op
      Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

EEK! I have surgery 2/18 and 22. We're planning on taking our grand-daughter to Mexico end of the summer. My problem with flying is I don't handle it well unless I can constantly watch out the window (even if its dark), hmm I don't know how well I'll do if I need to sit in an aisle seat. Maybe we'll be lucky and not have a full flight. Hope your trip is nice, at least you'll be traveling to nicer weather
        2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
        surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
        Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
        5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
        5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
        6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
        (left open with just clear dressing)
        6/6/08 recleaned and closed
        3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Go for it! It will be a big day, but you can do it. You need to think about how long it takes to get to the airport, check in bags, wait, board, wait, fly, wait, get bags, drive.... considering all that is 'up' time, you'll need to be pretty good in terms of pain and fatiuge. I'm the queen of rushing stuff, so I know how keen you are to go! As long as all the travelling doesn't make you too sore to get the most out of your trip.
          1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
          2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
          2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
          Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
          msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

So much for non-stop

Well, the good news is the tickets are booked. The bad news is we had to get connecting flights. The layovers are only about an hour, but I figure that will give me time to get up and walk...

Thanks for the advice - any other tips are appreciated!
            2000 34*L/39*T
            2007 44*L/53*T

12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Have letter in hand....

Keep your letter from your doctor handy in case you encounter an idiot at the screening area. I had hell getting into a courthouse a couple of weeks ago. I even showed the dumbass my scar....He swore I must have something metal in my jacket....beware the incompetence...........have fun, I am sure you'll do fine.
              Lisa age 47
              T curve 69 degrees
              L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
              fused to from T-3 to sacrum
              anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
              pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

The layover may actually be a blessing, I flew to Texas at 5 months post op and I don't think I could of done it with out a layover...I was not very comfortable on the plane and getting off and moving around really helped. Also leave a little extra time for security. I set off the alarms every time and was pulled aside for up to 30 min.
                Patty 51 years old
                Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
                Posterior T3- L4
                Pre surgery curves
                T-53degrees
                L-38degrees
                and a severe side shift to the right.
                Post surgery curves
                Less than 10 degrees
                Surgery April, 2006
                C4 - C6

Comment

I've never set off the metal detectors at the airport! Gutted! (well, apart from actual metal things I had on my clothing) Perhaps the over-the-top security in the USA would mean the metal detectors are super-sensitive and could pick it up. Maybe with the new extra metalware I have I could trip them. Not that it's a good thing to be held up. I'd hate to be strip searched!
                  2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
                  msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

I think I'm crazy...

Not only am I traveling Feb 20... but we've planned another trip Feb 1-3. That's 2 months post op for me. I'm clinging to the fact that geo did it at 3 weeks! Besides a pillow and pain pills, anything else I need?
                    2000 34*L/39*T
                    2007 44*L/53*T

12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

memory foam matress! I shudder at the thought of sleeping in an unfamiliar bed with the sensitivity I have on my back.
                      msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Travel

Vindy if you can get a thin memory foam mattress topper and fold it in thirds and put it in a body pillow case(they are longer)it makes all the differents to be able to sit in the seats for long periods of time,the only problem with sitting in the iles is the other people in that row may get up and down a lot which means you will be getting up and down alot. Let the stewardess know about your back and ask if there is a row empty if you could use it ,they are very happy to help.

Comment

travel to DFW

Hi and good luck on your upcoming travel. I have traveled to and from Boston and DFW 3 weeks after surgery and ~7 weeks after surgery. I echo the replies of the others and recommend allowing extra time at security and taking some padding to sit on. I usually take a trash bag with me to put my pillows and brace in as I approach the security line. Later, I put the trash bag on the seat of the rental car and use it to help me pivot turn easily in and out of the car. Also, if you travel with an external bone growth stimulator, I recommend putting that in checked baggage. If possible, have someone drop you off at the terminals so you don't have to endure bumpy rides on shuttle buses. Although the shuttle bus ride to the rental car area from DFW was not too bad, the ride between the terminals at DFW was quite bumpy.

Comment

It went well...

Hi all,

I just got back from my first trip post-op, and it went well. I brought a bed pillow to put behind the plane, and I think that made all the difference. I was actually very comfortable. On the way there we had a connection, and had to deal with delays and while my muscles were sore by the end, I wasn't in pain. The direct flight on the way back was fine too. I did my best to walk before, between, and after flights - that may have helped me too.

As well as it went, I want to emphasize I could NOT have traveled alone. My (dear, wonderful) boyfriend carried my suite case, did all the lifting into overhead bins, and literally watched my back so I didn't get bumped when we went through crowds.

Oh, and I didn't set off the metal detectors!
                            2000 34*L/39*T
                            2007 44*L/53*T

12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

I'm so glad your traveling went so well! I have a trip planned for November, almost a full year post op, and I am concerned about comfort on that 5 hour flight! I hadn't thought about bringing a pillow, but now I will keep that in the back of my mind if I still need pillows just to sit in the car by then.

How were your sleeping conditions? Was the bed comfortable enough for your new back? I made sure to book in a place where I already knew the bed was comfortable so that isn't a concern.

And a little off topic, but have you adjusted to driving yet? I am still not comfortable driving where there is more than a single lane in each direction. Even with the blind spot mirrors the thought of not seeing someone coming around the side of my car and me hitting them scares me. Hope all is well with you. Take care.
                              Alicia
                              Geish
                              47 years old, dx at 13
                              +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
                              Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
                              http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
                              http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Working...
                              X