help at home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help at home

I'm having a/p surgery done 2/18 and 2/21. The ant.w ALIFF is being done the 18 then I come home and head to a different hospital for the pos. total fusion T4-sacrum. My mother has offered to fly in from Phoenix to help out (I think I'll let her). I would otherwise be alone all day even though I have a house full of people(they all work full-time). I was thinking to not have her come in until after the 2nd surgery. Do you think a couple days in between w/o help is do-able? side/front dressings easy enough to change? That sort of thing. The Dr. seems to think I should have no problem being at home between the 2, I'm starting to second guess my ability that way. Any input would be great.
    By the way, Briarrose, where are you having your surgery done?
    Sharon
    2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
    surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
    Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
    5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
    5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
    6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
    (left open with just clear dressing)
    6/6/08 recleaned and closed
    3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Check with your insurance company about a visiting nurse to do the dressings. That's what I had. Some companies have other benefits regarding to skilled nursing care in the home.
    Medicare has limited home health aide care --as well as visiting nurse- for about 3 weeks post discharge from hospital. This must be ordered by your doctor. The hosp discharge planner is a great resource to set this up. Another resource is short term stay in a rehab facility. This will free up the family. Insurance usually covers the ambulance if needed from one facility to another.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Thanx,
      I guess I'll have to wait and find out which insurance co. is covering me (w/c or Keystone), that should be next week. Then I'll hit them up as far as what kind of at home care I'm entitled to.
      2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
      5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5

Comment

Hi Sharon,

My first thought when I read your question was "are you kidding?" No offence I was just shocked. You being home alone, while everyone is at work, for those first couple of days I don't think is a good idea. I know personally the first few days I was TOTALLY out of it due to the meds. Also, you will need help with your meds (Keeping track of when doses need to be taken.) As well as food/drink. Sure you might be able to put sustenance next to the bed but, it is SO important to not get behind on pain meds. "You can't heal as well if you're in pain" was something my Dr. KEPT on telling me. Plus, those of us on the other side of surgery know you don't want to forget to take your next dose before the last one wears off completely. It only takes one long nap to throw you off and you wake up from pain that lasts till the next dose kicks in. Not fun. I don't think I needed to change bandages but once a day. Best wishes.

Comment

Hi! That sounds scary being home by yourself. The visiting nurse sounds like a really good idea. Hopefully your insurance will cover it.

I'm not sure where I'm having my surgery. It will either be at Lankenau Hospital, Bryn Mawr Hospital, or Paoli Hospital if I go with Dr. Fras. If I decide to go with Dr. Albert, I'm guessing it will be at Thomas Jefferson. Have you heard anything (good or bad) about those hospitals?
          Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
          2003- 33 degrees
          2005- 37 degrees
          2006- 44 degrees
          May 2007- 47 degrees
          December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
          Fused T1 to L2
          Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

I'm doing it too, but posterior only ...

Sharshe ...

I have lists upon lists of how *I* plan to handle it mostly solo ... maybe some thoughts will be applicable, maybe not.

Your surgery is definitely far more involved than mine. As my date gets closer I'm turning into a big whiney baby - but am just moving forward, checking off the "to do" list (I don't have the option of giving in to a breakdown).

That said, some moments of *some days, I almost wish I'd had 2 days to prepare vs. 2 months ...

Hugs, hon.

Pam
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

Briarrose,

I live relatively close to all three of the hospitals you mention -- they all have good reputations, especially Bryn Mawr. I had my tonsils out there about 25 years ago !!!
              Chris
              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I would ask for the help if i were you... the moral support is good too, I was very lonely after I came home and was alone all day. i went to rehab, and was damned glad I did, considering that i would be so self reliant....
                Lisa age 47
                T curve 69 degrees
                L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
                fused to from T-3 to sacrum
                anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
                pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Thanks Singer! That makes me feel better.
                  Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                  2003- 33 degrees
                  2005- 37 degrees
                  2006- 44 degrees
                  May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
                  Fused T1 to L2

Comment

I have to chime in here, and say that I think having someone with you, whether you need their help or not. There's alot of comfort of knowing someone is there just in case!!!

Shari

Comment

Yeah, I'm going to have my mom come in Don't know how long she'll stay, but at least a couple of weeks. She'll be able to pick up my grand daughter from school, so she won't have as much of a disruption. And I'll have someone to let the dog in and out and to do my ironing! I hate to think of stuff not ironed (I know I'm weird that way).
                      Briarrose, I'll go to healthgrades for you and check out those hospitals(I can use that through my insurance)and let you know. Dr Albert's referred me to Dr Anderson after reading my MRI report. But that report never noted the large annular tear that Dr Anderson noticed immediately, so the inversion talbe at PT was a no no . Dr Anderson says Alberts doesn't do a lot of scoli. surgeries anymore. But then again it might have a lot to do with the specifics of a person's case. That said, I do know Jefferson is rated very well.
                      And Suzy, thanks for the input about meds. I have in the past tended to under do them but have taken heed and picked up a cheapie($ store) dry erase board for keeping track, this way whoever helps can take note. The couple days in between the surgeries I will have someone from church to stop in. I am surprised that I'll even be home then and not go straight from one hospital to the next.
                      5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5

Comment

Hi Shell,
                        Ran a quick check on the Main Line hospitals, Lankenau and Bryn mawr both get 5* out of 5, Paoli only gets 3*, that's not to say it bad, its just an over all rating of not as good. They get either a 1,3 or 5*. Hope that helps some.
                        5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5

Comment

Thanks so much for looking into that. I tried that website once but I couldn't get anywhere. I haven't heard good things about Paoli through my mom who is a nurse in West Chester. Hopefully I won't have it done there. I'll find out next week!
                          Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                          2003- 33 degrees
                          2005- 37 degrees
                          2006- 44 degrees
                          May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
                          Fused T1 to L2

Comment

med alarms

I found it helpful to set the (multiple) alarms on my phone after surgery if I was going to be alone or sleeping during the time I would need to take Meds. This way there is no possibility of me missing that dose. It was especially helpful for the overnight doses so someone didn't have to wake up to get my meds. I keep a bottle of meds next to me with what I need for that day as well as a glass of water and some snacks.
                            after a knee surgery that I had a while ago,
                            y mom would make up a cooler of drinks and snacks before she went off to work. You might see if someone in the house can do this for you and place it ok the side table or desk. Placing a bottle of water, some milk/juice, etc as well as some fruit, cheese, a sandwich or whatever else you want.
                            It might be hard to go alone during those few days, but probably not impossible. The most important thing will be being VERY careful getting up and down go use the restroom, go up and down stairs (if you have them), etc.
                            Having some pre-cooked food that you can freeze and put in the microwave will also be very useful if you are alone.
                            Good luck.

Comment

Briarrose, just to confuse you further , a good friend of mine is a cardiac care nurse at Paoli Hospital and says it's very good.

The only hospital in the area that you NEVER want to go to is Phoenixville Hospital.
                              Chris
                              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
                              X