MRI completed today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MRI completed today

My son, Joe (15 years old) had his MRI today. He has kyphoscoliosis. When I scheduled the MRI we discussed the options of doing all 3 MRI's (cervical, thoracic and lumbar) in one day or on separate days. They told us that he could listen to music while the procedure was being done, he could take breaks, etc so we opted to go for all in 1 day.

Well, when we arrived, they told us he would be in the Mobile Unit out back, there would be no way they could play music out there, the unit was small and cramped.

After about 2 hours, the secretary came out and told me it was taking longer because he was having problems with claustrophobia.

After about 3 hours he came out, red faced, red eyed. I asked him if we were done (no one came out with him) and he didn't know. We waited for a few minutes, no one came out. So I went up to the secretary and she said we were good to go.

He was so angry in the car about the way he was treated. I asked if the tech yelled at him and he said no, but she was very annoyed with him when she had to repeat a part of the procedure, how uncomfortable the MRI tunnel was, and that often times when she said he moved, he didn't think he did (he is very compliant and has had lots of medical tests, CT scans and the like so he does know how to stay still).

I am hoping it turned out because I am not anxious to repeat the process again. Just a vent.

I meet with the orthopaedist in 2 weeks to review the results.

What an awful experience for Joe! I'm so sorry to hear about the way he was treated. No one, child or adult, should be treated that way. I can't imagine how uncomfortable it was for him to lay on his back for that long! OUCH

My son has had an MRI in a "mobile" unit, and was able to have his headset with him. MRIs are hard, especially for that long. It sounds like they didn't allow him to take a break when he needed it. The entire experience was bad - and I hope it never happens again!

When will you be getting the results of the scan? Are you meeting with a neurosurgeon or orthopedist about the results? I'd be asking A LOT of questions, that's for sure.

Good luck and feel free to vent anytime. You deserve it! And so does Joe - give him a gentle hug from us.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

thats awful what happend. my mom woulda given them hell and then some and then i would of went off at em......i hate medical people that are rude

Comment

George and Carmell, thank you for your kind words. George, I feel a lot like you mom. I am very tired of having to complain about medical issues we encounter. I do believe the tech was rude to my son BECAUSE he was young. I don't think for a minute she would have treated an adult that way, but I think she thought she could get away with it because he was a teenager. That makes me mad too.

Maybe I will visit the facility next week and speak to the supervisor/manager to discuss what happened. At the very least, some training-re-training seems to be indicated.

Comment

I am so sorry your son was treated in this manner. I wanted to tell you also if he is required to have another one, request to have it done at a facility that has an open field. They are out there and he can send him to one. My mom has recently had one and she too is claustaphobic. She requested to go to an open field ( It is just a bigger MRI machine that is not closed in.) I hope this helps and I also hope pray that he doesn't need another one.
          Mom of 13 year old son with scoliosis

Comment

I'm not sure if this is done in America, but it is done in Australia (especially with children). If a child is particularly young or it is a long MRI being done (ie the full body, spine ones), it can be requested or sometimes the doctor will often highly suggest that a light sedative be given (there are other things that can also be done that don't affect the brain patterns, when this is what the MRI is looking at). So that you will be a little more relaxed, your body will be a little more "relaxed".

I remember when I had my full MRI done, I was 13 at the time, still in a backbrace and not given the option of light sedation or being able to listen to my own music. I remember that I had many problems whilst in there, from my legs going "jumpy", to feeling yuck, to my muscles not being used to being out of brace. I held it together pretty well whilst in the tunnel, but when I got back out to the weighting room and my Mum and Dad, I bawled. One way that I did keep myself "entertained" (that's not quite the word that I am looking for) was saying the alphabet backwawrds in my head, it took lots of concentration and took my mind off it for awhile.

I think the biggest problem with technicians is that unless they have had an MRI themselves, many of them can only see if from a techical point of view and have a hard time "understanding" what it is like to be in one, and how difficult it really is to have to lie "still". And that sometimes, despite your best efforts to lie "still" your body doesn't always want to lie still.

Comment

Working...
            X