Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery for my Aussie Baby

Hi everyone,

I know I'm very slack and don't post often and offer advice but I'm on all the time reading everyone else's progress and opinions . This site is a godsend believe me!! After Elysia's surgery maybe I can be more active in the advice department.

I thought I'd post just to let everyone know that Elysia's surgery is sceduled in four weeks time for the 12th Feb. It's been tough with a lot of tooing and throwing about whether to proceed with the surgery or not.
    I'm a bit confused about the whole event and how everything has turned out as we went for our second opinion with a Professor, many years experience who told us Elysia had Lordoscoliosis. Researched but couldn't find out much about it except I know that Ramona's son also had this. Funny thing is when we finally get our appointment with our surgeon he tells us that all Thoracic Scoliosis patients get the Lordosis!!!!

I was quite annoyed with how we were bounced around like a tennis ball. We were given 5th December, 7th Jan, 4th March and now we on for 12th Feb for the surgery, right when our school year starts! Elysia hadn't been x-rayed out of her brace since March 07. She has now had another x-ray out of the brace but I haven't been given the curves on that one yet. All I know is is that my child is still Risser 0 - has an enourmous rib hump (seems to be the majority of her problem, the rotation, rather than the curve itself and has days when she is in a lot of pain with her back, not often but it reduces her to tears.

All we can do now is pray that we've made the right decision and getting the job done while it is relatively simple than waiting for the curve to be a monster before deciding to get it fixed and it has affected her lumbar and that has to be fused as well.
    Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
    Sydney - Australia
    Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
    Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
    Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
    L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

I had been wondering how you have been doing and what the surgery statis was. Being bounced around like that is not good when you are trying to focus on getting ready for surgery.
    I so often worried too about whether we made the right decision about surgery even when it seemed so obvious. Looking at the quality of his life now compared to before I know we did the right thing and if we hadn't it would only have gotten worse. I don't think you will regret it. Let us know how you are doing. Cyber hugs to you.
    Ramona
    mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
    diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
    also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
    fused T4 to L1

Comment

Thanks Ramona, yes I agree, once you've made the decision for surgery you just have to go with it. You can easily drive yourself mad with the "are we doing the right thing" question.

I've now become like you before Patricks surgery and already started putting all my nervous energy into house cleaning, walking around looking for what's next! LOL Also back on the net looking at all the scoliosis websites again and driving myself insane - oh well, only four more weeks and we can start to look forward.

Hope Patrick is doing well.

cyber hugs to you and everyone else on this forum.

Del
      xx
      Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
      Sydney - Australia
      Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
      Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
      Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
      L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

Working...
      X