Bent leg sleeping position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent leg sleeping position

Hi everyone, I'm 5 weeks post op. I'm still not able to comfortably sleep with my legs flat in bed when I'm lying on my back. It feels uncomfortable in my lower back, as though my pelvis is un-naturally tipped. I sleep with a large pillow under my knees to alleviate this sensation. I'm wondering if this habit is detrimental at all to my recovery, given that I'm fused to L3. I see my surgeon on tuesday and will ask him, but I'm interested to know what advice people have had that have had lower fusions. I'm so paranoid about damaging my back, I've had 2 surgeries now! NO MORE!
    1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
    2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
    2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
    Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
    msandham.blogspot.com

Bent Legs...

nzgirl,Hi! It Is better for your back if you sleep with a pillow under your knees if you have scoliosis or not. It is probably better for your back to have the pillow under your knees because you have been fused and your back is tilt at a different angle so don't feel bad and some of us use pillows all the time after surgery. Just remimber your back is being forced to bend in a different way than it is use to and if you sleep on your side remember to put a pillow between your knees doctors will tell you this keeps your back lined up correctly. Don't get bothered by the little things we have to do to make us confortable remember what we are fighting againest(A CURVED SPINE). The best thing we can learn is we ARE NORMAL we just have little bends here and there. We are all normal!!!! Love Ya! Alma in Alaska

Comment

Good for you.

Anyone who sleeps on their back should have a pillow under their knees. It is the position that puts the least possible pressure on your discs. Don't worry about it at all, it is good for you.

I'm glad you are doing well!
      Rosie
      2001 T-sp 58* L-sp 55*
      2007 T-sp 64* L-sp 67*
      Surgery Dec. 21 2007
      Posterior fusion T3 to L3

Comment

My surgeries were in May of '05 and I still sleep with a pillow under my knees whether I'm on my back or sides. Don't plan on giving that pillow up ever!!!
        It makes me comfortable!!!

Shari

Comment

Working...
        X