Is a Wedge Pillow OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a Wedge Pillow OK?

I am a month post op. Since I am sleeping on my back always, I thought a wedge pillow my be good - it is 24" wide by 32' long so can pretty much take my whole upper body. It inclines gently to the max of 5 inches. I thought the slight elevation would keep me from snoring (since I'm on my back) and help relieve some pressure on my hips since I'm stuck in one position.

My hesitation is that I am not sure it is proper alignment to log roll from in inclined position (although it is a gentle incline). I remember in the hospital they always put the bed down flat before getting out of bed.

Any ideas, comments, suggestions?
    Jan Lotherington,
    56* thoracic curve, 50* lumbar curve
    A/P fusion T3-Sacrum, Dec 11&13 2007
    at age 55
    Dr Bridwell

Jan,

I found the most wonderful device (I've been testing it for a few weeks) called the Mattress Genie (remote operated air bladder that fits between mattresss and box spring - and lifts up to 1000 lbs).

I snagged mine on eBay (for 1/3rd of regular price), and it goes from completely flat to about 40° quite quickly. Combined with a 2" memory foam topper, I'm sleeping quite comfortably, and hope to post op, as well.

The last thing I have to add to my arsenal is a memory foam wedge for under my knees. There's a place I found on the web that cuts custom pieces for a very reasonable price ... here. They aren't the only ones that provide this service. Please feel free to PM me if you'd like more info.

Best to you.

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Dear JanL-- congrats on having a whole month under your belt! It keeps getting better and better. It sure sounds like Pam knows her way around the internet well! Those are good suggestions. But if you opt for just figuring out with what's around you, or with the cushion you already found, here are my thoughts...

The slope of that cushion is so gentle I wouldn't think there would be any problem. If you are concerned, can you contact your surgeon's office and ask? I hope it's ok to logroll from a slightly inclined position, because that's what I've been doing the past couple of months at my physical therapy place-- and with more of a slope than what you described... It's a little awkward doing it, but seems ok. I think as long as you don't bend your back or put undue stress on it while you're logrolling, it is ok. Of course, that's the whole point of logrolling! It's trickier doing the logroll correctly here at home, getting my legs up and down off my bed, when I have 5 lb. weights on each ankle! I have to do it very quickly!!! Fortunately that's only once or twice a day. It was much easier at PT with my therapist putting the weights on AFTER my legs were up on the table. Oh well! Does anyone have suggestions about that??? I tried putting on the weights after I was up on the bed, but that didn't work. I have a hard enough time the way I'm doing it--standing up, putting my foot on a chair, and trying to get the weight wrapped around and fastened without bending (very much...)

I am still sleeping flat on my back, with just one pillow for my head-- but I do use pillows elsewhere to alleviate having uncomfortable hips... I use a regular bed pillow under my knees and a slightly smaller (flatter) pillow under my feet. That seems to suit my body so I sleep comfortably. I started using the one under my feet when I had painful heel fissures (dried, cracked skin) and the pillow reduced the pressure on my heels. It decreases the angle between my knees and feet and "fits" my needs better.

Best wishes for finding a comfy way to sleep!
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I just asked my surgeon

I am three weeks post op, I asked my surgeon two days ago just how much I had to worry about stuff. He said that rolling in bed, sitting and reaching for things etc, are not a problem and I should just make myself comfortable.
        He said that I really only need to be careful and avoid bending, twisting and lifting things, because those things can hurt me.

In terms of breaking anything loose in there, he said it would take a particularly nasty car accident to break a rod.

Hope this helps you not to worry so much, remember that everything is nice and solid in there, you just might strain a muscle if you do to much.

Keep getting stronger!
        Roseann
        2001 T-sp 58* L-sp 55*
        2007 T-sp 64* L-sp 67*
        Surgery Dec. 21 2007
        Posterior fusion T3 to L3

Comment

Working...
        X