A year ago today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A year ago today.

It's now been a year since I had my surgery! I couldn't be happier that I had it.

I'm going to contact my surgeon on Monday to arrange what I hope will be my final appointment with him.

I remember on some of the days following my surgery, I got pretty depressed because I didn't think I could deal with the long recovery I had ahead of me. Well, here I am now! The time does go very quickly. If you don't even think about it, it flies by. It seems like only yesterday I was being wheeled down to the operating theatre.

I hope that everyone who is having surgery soon (and at any time in the future) has much success with it, and that people who have already had it are recovering well. I think having the surgery is such a good idea. I had my doubts before, and so did my aunt, but now we both agree that it was the best thing for me to have done.

Congratulations! Reaching that one-year mark is quite a milestone...best wishes for a problem-free back for many years to come-

Renee

Comment

yay!

Congrats on reaching this big milestone!
      Thank you for giving us hope and being an inspiration to all of us. I'm two weeks post op, so far have no regrets, and the time has certainly flown by. I can hardly wait until I can get back in my routine.

Roseann
      2001 T-sp 58* L-sp 55*
      2007 T-sp 64* L-sp 67*
      Surgery Dec. 21 2007
      Posterior fusion T3 to L3

Comment

That's super! And so nice of you to let everyone share in your success! That's a big encouragement for so many of us. I'm looking forward to hitting the one year anniversary too-- just 4 more months to go.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Congratulations Robbie and thanks for posting! Continued best wishes to you!
          Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
          Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
          Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Hi Robbie,

It really is a rough recovery that tends to just fly by after the fact. My first 3 months seemed to take forever, then each month afterwards seemed to come faster and faster.

I had a rough recovery and at first I judged it from month to month, then week to week and eventually day to day. We just can't compare our recoveries to others on here, we all have different surgeries and different recovery times. The bottom line is that we recover, it's good for those that recover early, that's wonderful for them!!! But some of us take more time, and there is no shame in that !!!

The biggest mistake I made was comparing my recovery to other's that had done so much better than I!!!

Shari

Comment

Congratulations! Best wishes for continued success.

Anya
              "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
              Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
              19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Congratulations Robbie! What a wonderful, optimistic post. I will show it to my daughter for sure. Her surgery is 2/5/08 and she is very apprehensive!
                Samsmom
                Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
                42 Degree Lumbar Curve
                Fused T-4 to L-2
                Yale New Haven
                2/5/08

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie
                  It's now been a year since I had my surgery! I couldn't be happier that I had it.

I'm going to contact my surgeon on Monday to arrange what I hope will be my final appointment with him.

I remember on some of the days following my surgery, I got pretty depressed because I didn't think I could deal with the long recovery I had ahead of me. Well, here I am now! The time does go very quickly. If you don't even think about it, it flies by. It seems like only yesterday I was being wheeled down to the operating theatre.

I hope that everyone who is having surgery soon (and at any time in the future) has much success with it, and that people who have already had it are recovering well. I think having the surgery is such a good idea. I had my doubts before, and so did my aunt, but now we both agree that it was the best thing for me to have done.
                  Hi Robbie

I have been viewing this forum for the last 18 months and I remember reading when you had your op. Well done - it doesn't seem like a year ago! My daughter was diagnosed in September 2006 with idiopathic scoliosis and it has now progressed to a 52 degree curve and she will be having the fusion done on February 7th this year. She is 14 and is keen to have the surgery as she doesn't like the way her back looks. I am worried sick by the thought of the whole thing and would like to thank everyone who posts on this forum as it has been a great help to me during the last 18 months even although we live in Scotland and most people who post are in the States. Once again, congratulations on your anniversary Robbie, it certainly was the best thing you could have done!
                  Mum to Annessa, age 15
                  53 degree thoracic curve down to 10 degrees.
                  Date of surgery: 7th Feb 2008
                  Edinburgh, Sick Kids
                  Fused T4 - L1

Comment

Originally posted by samsmom
                    Congratulations Robbie! What a wonderful, optimistic post. I will show it to my daughter for sure. Her surgery is 2/5/08 and she is very apprehensive!
                    Hi samsmom

I will be thinking about you and your daughter on the 5th February. My daughter will be having her surgery on the 7th February. Annessa is 14 and has a 52 degree curve (that was her measurment in October, I am sure it is worse now). I am so worried about everything but I know that we have no choice and have to do this. I will say a prayer for you and look forward to hearing how it all goes.

Anne
                    Last edited by Neesasmum; 03-01-2008, 11:53 AM.
                    Mum to Annessa, age 15
                    Edinburgh, Sick Kids
                    Fused T4 - L1

Comment

Hi Neesaasmum,

Looks like our daughter's surgeries are just 2 days apart. My daughter Sam is 16 and will be turning 17 right before her surgery. I am sure that you must be thinking that I just want the surgery over and done with like I do. This waiting is soo stressful for her (and the family too).

Right now we are ramping up for the 2 blood donations they need. They are having her take a lot of iron which isn't really agreeing with her. One donation will be next week and the second the following week.

I am not sure of where she will be fused until final x-rays are taken on the 30th, but the dr. is hoping to not go into the lumbar region. She has a 54 degree thoracic curve.

Best of luck with your daughter as well. I will try and post updates on any last minute tips/hints that I may have for you both.
                      Samsmom
                      Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
                      42 Degree Lumbar Curve
                      Fused T-4 to L-2
                      Yale New Haven
                      2/5/08

Comment

Thank you everyone for the nice replies!

I have made an appointment with my surgeon for the 21st. I'll post here again to let everyone know how it went.

Thanks again.
                        Robbie.

Comment

Originally posted by samsmom
                          Hi Neesaasmum,

Looks like our daughter's surgeries are just 2 days apart. My daughter Sam is 16 and will be turning 17 right before her surgery. I am sure that you must be thinking that I just want the surgery over and done with like I do. This waiting is soo stressful for her (and the family too).

Right now we are ramping up for the 2 blood donations they need. They are having her take a lot of iron which isn't really agreeing with her. One donation will be next week and the second the following week.

I am not sure of where she will be fused until final x-rays are taken on the 30th, but the dr. is hoping to not go into the lumbar region. She has a 54 degree thoracic curve.

Best of luck with your daughter as well. I will try and post updates on any last minute tips/hints that I may have for you both.
                          Hi Samsmom

Thank you for your lovely reply, it is so good to talk to someone who is going through the same thing! Annessa will be 15 in April and I have asked our doctor about her donating her own blood but he wasn't keen, although I would prefer it. I think they use a cell collector machine (something like that)but she may still need blood. There are only two doctors who are able to do this op in Scotland and they obviously service the whole country so there is a 6 month waiting list all the time but Annessa has been put to the front because of the speed her scoliosis has increased. I too am not sure of where she will be fused but I do know the doctor is hoping it will not be in the lumber region also. After reading the posts on this forum I think you are definately given a lot more information from the doctors in the States than we are here, which is a good thing in my book. I have been given the number of a spinal liason nurse and can phone her to discuss things and will be doing that this week. You are so right about the stress, I think part of me is still in shock at all this and I think about it 24/7! It would be great if you could keep in touch and give us any tips or hints that you have learned!
                          Best regards
                          Anne
                          Mum to Annessa, age 15
                          Edinburgh, Sick Kids
                          Fused T4 - L1

Comment

Originally posted by Neesasmum
                            Hi Samsmom

Thank you for your lovely reply, it is so good to talk to someone who is going through the same thing! Annessa will be 15 in April and I have asked our doctor about her donating her own blood but he wasn't keen, although I would prefer it. I think they use a cell collector machine (something like that)but she may still need blood. There are only two doctors who are able to do this op in Scotland and they obviously service the whole country so there is a 6 month waiting list all the time but Annessa has been put to the front because of the speed her scoliosis has increased. I too am not sure of where she will be fused but I do know the doctor is hoping it will not be in the lumber region also. After reading the posts on this forum I think you are definately given a lot more information from the doctors in the States than we are here, which is a good thing in my book. I have been given the number of a spinal liason nurse and can phone her to discuss things and will be doing that this week. You are so right about the stress, I think part of me is still in shock at all this and I think about it 24/7! It would be great if you could keep in touch and give us any tips or hints that you have learned!
                            Best regards
                            Anne

Hi Anne,
                            I am surprised that there are only 2 surgeons in Scotland who do this procedure. We are lucky that we have many options and only have about 20 minutes travel time. Will you have to travel far?

Right now I am trying to anticipate everything we will need both in the hospital and when we come home and have gotten some great suggestions on this site. Also trying to get my daughter through her exams which are next week. She is having such a hard time focusing on schoolwork with all that she is facing. (Anybody have tips on that??)

I did ask the doctor about giving her something for her nerves so that she can sleep the night before and be calm on arrival. That is something that you might want to see about as well.

The spinal liason nurse should be a good source for information. Please let us know if you find out anything new!

All the best!
                            Samsmom
                            Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
                            42 Degree Lumbar Curve
                            Fused T-4 to L-2
                            Yale New Haven
                            2/5/08

Comment

Hi Samsmom,
                              Did the doctor agree to give her something for her nerves? Hopefully he hooked you up as well!! Chris was ok the night before the surgery, but when we first got to the hospital and they were prepping him for the OR, I could tell how nervous he was. He kept shaking his leg and tapping his foot. The nurse asked him if he wanted something to relax him or if he felt ok. He shrugged his shoulders and I quickly jumped in and told him that it was a good idea. They mixed up his "cocktail" and within 10 minutes he was laughing hysterically at nothing in particular. I am so glad that he agreed to it because as they were rolling him down to the OR, he was still laughing and it made it much easier to say good bye to him. Needless to say, I requested a "cocktail" of my own, but they weren't giving it up! I tried! That was some good stuff! It was Valium mixed with something else. Don't remember the name of it, but it certainly did the trick. He was relaxed and I really needed to see that.

I know how stressful the weeks leading up to the surgery can be for EVERYBODY involved. Take a few deep breaths and just take one day at a time. Before you know it, you will be counting post op days!

Best of luck to you and Neesasmum! I will keep you and your daughters in my prayers!

Hugs to you,
                              Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
                              Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
                              Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Working...
                              X